Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 On the subject of cheating.
A short conversation with someone inspired me to make this thread. (months ago)

I've a couple questions I want to ask you guys about cheats.
  • How do you feel about cheats?
    • Do you feel that it makes games fun or ruins the experience?
    • Do you feel that it may affect replay value?
    • In your opinion, what is cheating? Define it.
  • Bugs and Flaws
    • From a player or developer perspective, how do you feel about unintentional game bugs and flaws?
    • How about players possibly taking advantage of those flaws, perhaps for their own benefit?
  • Cheat Implementation
    • For developers, would you implement cheats in your projects?
    • If yes, how would you implement them? Button Presses? Input Menu? Rewarding dedicated players? A shop system? An item hidden somewhere in a map? Something else?
    • Any cheats you're sneaking into your project?
  • Tips and recommendations?
    • Any cheats you'd recommend for other folks who may be working on a project?
    • Got a tip you'd like to share to the others on the subject of implementing cheats and unlockables?
These questions are pretty much here to get the discussion flowing. Feel free to answer these if you want. Also ask additional questions so I can put them up here.
----------

I think cheats can be fun depending on what the cheats may be. Like if there's some god mode cheat along with some infinite resources cheat activated at the same time, I'd feel great for a quite a bit. Depending on what the cheats may be, it may spoil the experience, would make players quickly lose interest in the game as well as reducing the replay value of the game.

For bug/flaws, it depends, really. I mean let's say we're playing a platformer/action game, if the player was using a game bug to his/her advantage at a situation where something (an enemy, a puzzle, a screen, a level) looks pretty easy to beat, I would say the player was pretty desperate and that it's like a low blow. I mean, if something, according to the majority of the players of a certain game says "this looks piss-easy to beat", then I'd expect the minority of the players to try harder. If there's something that seems nearly impossible to beat, like a complicated platformer stage for example, I'd understand why (s)he would use a bug to his/her advantage. I would still find it desperate, but hey, if something looks and seems pretty impossible to beat, I'd say that bug is doing a service to the player. From a developer perspective, speaking hypothetically, it would be a mixed reaction. I probably wouldn't like how a player took advantage of a bug in the game to progress, but in a way, I'd commend the player for his/her determination to beat the game.

As for implementing cheats and how I would go about doing it, it's something I'm thinking about and debating on. Right now, I'm working on a platformer project using RPG Maker XP (yeah, let's see how long I'll keep that up :P ). I was thinking about implementing it via a cheat code input menu as well as rewarding the players who beat the game (playtime may play a factor in what the player unlocks). Cheats I might sneak into my project? It's something I'm thinking about. So far, they might not come across as interesting to others. I'm thinking BIG MODE where the sprite of the player is big as well as TINY MODE where the sprite of the player is small.

As for tips, I really don't have much. (Probably an obvious tip.) If you're someone who is implementing some form of money into your projects and have a huge amount of ideas and content for unlockables, this tip is for you. You definitely might want to think about setting up a shopping system.

Now that I'm done talking, discuss away!
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
On the subject of cheating. - by PK8 - 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
On the subject of cheating. - by MicKo - 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
On the subject of cheating. - by DerVVulfman - 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
On the subject of cheating. - by SP27 - 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM