Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Eventing: A legitimate specialty?
This thread is basically inspired from a blog entry I read at another site and is also a repost from the archives.

I think this has been discussed in certain places a few times but not here. And it's the first time I'm bringing it up here. So I thought I'd like to ask you guys this: do you think eventing is a legitimate specialty? Why or why not? Another question, define "Eventer".

As for me, I personally think it is. But then again, that may be my bias talking for me. (I love eventing)

Some argue that eventing is discredited as a specialty by other folks for the fact that you're just toying around with predeveloped code or because events should be something you should learn when you use RPG Maker (RM was always based around eventing, allowing people to make things up without any programming knowledge), and because it's one of the core parts of the RPG Maker program.

Psst... I personally think it's the noobs who want to recruit "eventers" for their projects and another reason being that some claim they're eventers because they could use "Message" command.

I personally think Eventers are the kind of people who work within the limits (in this case, event commands, common events and database-related stuff) to do something extraordinary, making event-based systems. I think that people who make some pretty elaborate systems through the use of events are Eventers.

Surely, it isn't as difficult as say scripting or spriting, but to each his own. Whenever you use events creatively in some attempt to go beyond the box and successfully make a useful system you or anyone puts to use in the near future, you get a thrill. You feel like you've accomplished something with what you were given. Making event-based systems such as an elaborate tactical battle system, a day night system, or whatever the heck you make, should it be elaborate is no ordinary feat.

So now I ask you all, do you think eventing is a legitimate position? And define eventing? I'd love to see some back and forth about this. It makes for a darn good discussion so go ahead.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by PK8 - 01-24-2009, 03:39 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by aerendyll - 01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by PK8 - 06-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by EJlol - 06-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by Zeriab - 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   List of interesting eventing points Zeriab 0 3,448 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Zeriab
   Eventing: A legitimate specialty? PK8 7 11,920 12-28-2008, 07:42 AM