Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Thoughts on Mapping
I'm very happy that you're sharing your opinions! I'm definitely encouraging everyone to do the same. We can get some really good discussion going here and end up learning a lot from each other.

Quote:The only problem I see with this is consistency issues. I think there is a point where there is too much stuff and it really distracts thee player from the cut scene as well. I think simplicity is what is needed for cutscenes. Don't get me wrong though, you can still create a well crafted simplistic map. Look at Chrono Trigger for example.

It might take the player one or two cutscenes to get used to it, but they would really get used to it. If you look at it in terms of a commercial game, it would be like the difference between watching a cutscene and watching a movie sequence - particularly when the difference is obvious like in some of the older Playstation games with 2D graphics and anime CG movies. I know some people are really proud of their maps so it's good to think of how to use them creatively. In cutscenes? Or maybe as a slightly faded battle background?

It's not a solution that would make everyone happy, but it might work for some game out there. Cheery

Quote:I agree with this to an extent. What I think is lacking is more innovative uses of fog and screentone. Many just use it as simplistic fog or lighting effects. Where are so many ways to use fog. In an ice cave, you can add a frosted look to the screen by using a fog, in forests, you can accent certain areas in trees to give them a more mystic look, in cliffs you can make a windy fog that whips across the screen. Many people seem to overlook these things. I guess its more of me being more original with fogs in my opinion.

Variety is important, absolutely. Not all fogs are the smokey fog. But I really do encourage people to only use them for special areas. If you have 5 forests, but only one is vitally important, then that's the one that should get the fog. Fogs are just fantastic for creating atmosphere - I don't argue that one bit. Just keep in mind, though, that if you do use them frequently, you have to come up with more things to make those important areas special. Especially if you're working with limited graphics or have a game with a lot of different areas.

Quote:I would be somewhat careful with this. In my opinion, houses should not be perfectly rectangular. They should have a turn or two. If you look at houses especially some newer models, there is a turn here and there. Also, remember that fungi can grow in caves without sunlight. Also, plants can grow without sunlight, however, they are small and die after a short period of time due to the lack of sunlight.

Oh, not implying that they are perfectly rectangular, just that they're made up of rectangles and squares. You could, for instance, have isometric walls inside or have a few corridors. The key is to not go overboard. I've seen some maps of houses that looked like a triangle and that's just odd. I've also seen maps that had more corridor space than room space. At that point, one begins to wonder whether the house builders knew what they were doing at all.
You also understand about plants and fungi. Both can (and do) exist in nature and so they're fine in maps. But some people will beautify a cave with bright flowers and offer no explanation as to how they can strive. In which case, I'll say that I'm not at against the use of flowers or unconventional cave items, but give us an interesting story as to why they're there!

:cheery:
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts on Mapping - by Lunarea - 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Thoughts on Mapping - by Ace - 02-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Thoughts on Mapping - by MagitekElite - 02-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Thoughts on Mapping - by Guest - 02-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Thoughts on Mapping - by Lunarea - 02-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Thoughts on Mapping - by bacon - 02-19-2010, 04:53 AM
Thoughts on Mapping - by Lunarea - 02-19-2010, 06:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Parallax Mapping Ideas and Tutorials JayRay 1 6,702 01-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Last Post: JayRay
   Open RPG mega mapping JayRay 0 4,698 01-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Last Post: JayRay
   TUTORIAL TWO: OUTDOOR MAPPING(Port City) computerwizoo7 4 7,649 05-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Last Post: HakktHazard
   TUTORIAL ONE: INDOOR MAPPING computerwizoo7 8 12,598 05-06-2010, 02:52 AM
Last Post: bacon
   Indoor Mapping - Asylum Style EvenAngels 5 9,249 09-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Last Post: Bolt