Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Eventing: A legitimate specialty?
I see people often times laugh at the idea of eventing being a specialty or position, because they see it as the maker itself, it's part of the system that ANYONE can do. Problem is, that falls for every category. Anyone can sprite, honestly if they actually took a bit of patience. Hell, I've scripted a script on my own - so obviously anyone can script (hi, I'm the guy who gets an error changing a variable from 01 to 02 :x)

Thing is some event chains are extremely complex. But people don't look at eventing as complex, because they look at scripts. Back in the earlier RM days you had to know how to event to do anything special (or just to copy and duplicate someone elses' chain of events). Even today, if you actually DO do something special, it's kind've a case of "you could've just had someone script it".

I evented the Chrono Trigger CBS (for the most part - still buggy and is missing an honestly good targeting system), so if I finished it, the idea is I could've had it scripted. Despite that I've never seen it - though I never really went looking.

People use the term wrongly, basically. If someone is adding treasure chests to maps and putting in simple dialogue windows, without the actually cool stuff you can do with those, they'll call themselves an eventer.

It's like me calling myself a scripter if I changed the background image in a menu script by changing "menu_001" to "skillbackground" so menu_001.png isn't used, and is instead replaced by "skillbackground.png".

If I use an html template and change the title of the page, I'm not an html coder. If I use an event template and change the dialogue, I'm not an eventer. But if I can make something unique out of it, that most people couldn't even figure out how to start, then yeah. I'm a viable position.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by PK8 - 12-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by Wilhelm Millay - 12-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by Abbot - 12-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by henasraf - 12-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by Guardian - 12-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by Iceplosion - 12-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by Jacket - 12-28-2008, 07:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   List of interesting eventing points Zeriab 0 3,471 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM