Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 On the subject of cheating.
Punk Wrote:How do you feel about cheats?
Do you feel that it makes games fun or ruins the experience?
Do you feel that it may affect replay value?
In your opinion, what is cheating? Define it.
I think it depends on two factors : the game, and the cheat itself.

1/ The game. If the game is REALLY hard, some cheats may be nice to enjoy the game (some games are so hard you don't even enjoy playing it anymore).

2/ The cheat itself.
- Some cheats aren't real cheats, like the cheats that transform enemies into weird creatures, or things like that.
- Some cheats are obtainable only when you finish the game (I'm thinking about Goldeneye on N64, it was kinda difficult to obtain some cheats, and when you had them the replay value just got up a little, thanks to the fun the invisibility or invincibility gave).

So my opinion about cheating depends on those two factors. If the game is not really difficult and if it's a cheat you can get from the start without even knowing how to play, I think it can ruin a game, yes.

Punk Wrote:Bugs and Flaws
From a player or developer perspective, how do you feel about unintentional game bugs and flaws?
How about players possibly taking advantage of those flaws, perhaps for their own benefit?
Well, some bugs can be fun or a real pain in the ass. If the bugs reduce the quality of the game, then it should be avoided at all cost, in my opinion.

And players will always (with exceptions though) take advantage of those flaws if it reduces the difficulty of the game. I think about MMORPGs, which I played a lot. If you could get an uber item easily, you just did it if you didn't fear to be banned from the server. On an offline game, you can't be banned so, it's up to the player's point of view.

Punk Wrote:Cheat Implementation
For developers, would you implement cheats in your projects?
If yes, how would you implement them? Button Presses? Input Menu? Rewarding dedicated players? A shop system? An item hidden somewhere in a map? Something else?
Any cheats you're sneaking into your project?
I've never thought about that actually, but it could be a good idea to reward the player who did something special in the game (Finishing the game => small cheat, finishing the game in less than x hours > bigger cheat, etc.).
But I think I won't do something like that, since my game won't be a "Stage select" kind of game. Otherwise, I would.

Punk Wrote:Tips and recommendations?
Any cheats you'd recommend for other folks who may be working on a project?
Got a tip you'd like to share to the others on the subject of implementing cheats and unlockables?
I like the "cheats" where your characters just change their appearance. Changing color or completly changing the character him/herself can be fun. Why not a weapon that transforms the enemies you hit with it so that the dragon you were fighting becomes a Slime !
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
On the subject of cheating. - by PK8 - 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
On the subject of cheating. - by MicKo - 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
On the subject of cheating. - by DerVVulfman - 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
On the subject of cheating. - by SP27 - 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM