Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Eventing: A legitimate specialty?
How can you say that? Eventers still have to learn how to event.
Just because the language is presented in a different form doesn't prevent eventing from being a programming language.
There are surely some eventers who are too lazy to learn a new language and the same holds for some scripters.

I agree that it makes sense to split the eventing field up into two kinds of eventers. I wouldn't use system eventing and cutscene eventing, but rather technical eventing and aesthetic eventing. (I am not sure I like aesthetic, but I couldn't find a better word)
There are technical parts of cutscenes like making sure that characters change correctly or disappear correctly, that no character walks into an obstacle and thus freezes.
The aesthetic is about choosing the right screen tone, about given the characters the right pauses. It's about portraying specific feelings and given the characters personality.

There are naturally overlaps where the aesthetic and technical areas collide, but the focus is different.
The technical eventer is close to scripters and it makes perfectly sense to consider scripting for the technical eventer.
The aesthetic eventer is close to the game designer since s/he deals with portraying the right feelings and given personality.
To compare with buildings I would say that the aesthetic eventer is the architect and the technical eventer is the engineer.

What do you think about this distinction?

*hugs*
- Zeriab
[Image: ZeriabSig.png]
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by PK8 - 01-24-2009, 03:39 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by aerendyll - 01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by PK8 - 06-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by EJlol - 06-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Eventing: A legitimate specialty? - by Zeriab - 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post