Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragon
Chapter One
Seven Soldiers

Ever since the accident, her life hadn’t been the same. Becky Fox didn’t like being referred to as the dragon. The rest of Moulty’s mutants-had semi or fully controllable powers, but her life (and options) had changed in so many ways. For one thing, she couldn’t use a phone . . . unless it was for strangling her longtime pest-mate Fred Freshee. Talking was also a thing of the past. No eating. No drinking. At least the mutated metabolism she had kept her from starving. But still . . . she’d rather have had John Diamond’s powers. They were far more controllable. Becky had to be especially careful when sleeping. Fortunately she wasn’t a snorer, but she had to keep her mouth shut at all times. And David Furfy didn’t even know about her predicament.

And how’s he gonna react? She thought, depressed. He can’t marry a flamethrower... but that’s all I’m good for right now. Do you, David, take this flamethrower...

She was washing dishes, stopping every now and then to write a note to the others. That was another disadvantage. Pointing at things and writing endless notes became tiresome. But she didn’t know sign language... yet. Lizzie was going to teach her some later. For now, Becky was washing dishes, and Lizzie and Pardy was drying them. Across the room, Fred — FRED — was beating a flabbergasted Diamond at chess, while Rabikes and Moulty were directly outside the house, throwing a football at each other, back and forth.

Rabikes threw the ball.

Moulty missed. The ball flew over him, into the window.

Right into the side of Becky’s head.

The impact was light. But it startled her just enough.

Her mouth opened, surprised.

A pencil of flame shot out diagonally and caught Pardy’s wrist.

“YEEEAAAAGGGGHHH!!!” she cried out in agony.

“PARDY!!!” Lizzie screamed back.

OH, MY GOD, NO!!! Becky thought, clamped her mouth tight, eyes wide in horror. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!

Pardy was screaming, wrist still flaming, writhing on the floor.

Rabikes heard it and was racing in. “CRAP!!!” yelled Fred.

Diamond shoved him out of the way, found a fire extinguisher and doused Pardy’s entire arm. The fire was out.

“Jesus Christ, what happened?” Rabikes shouted. Pardy was sobbing uncontrollably. Most of them had never seen her like this.

“I’M CALLING THE HOSPITAL!” Lizzie replied, furiously. She’d seen the ball, and knew what caused this, but something in her face frightened Becky nonetheless. The anger in Lizzie’s face was indescribable.

Pardy, still fighting the burning pain, cried out at Becky, “WHY — OWWW — WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?? Ahhhhhh . . . ”

Becky could not respond. Horrified and frustrated, she could only turn around, away from Pardy and the others, trying not to cry . . .

I HATE THIS POWER! She screamed silently, I HATE IT!!!

● ● ●

Three hours later, Chris Rabikes tried to reassure her. “Lighten up, Drag -- I mean, Becky. The squirt’s going to be okay. Besides, it wasn’t your fault.” He pointed an accusing finger at Moulty. “If this little blue twit hadn’t fumbled --”

Moulty shrugged, flipping Chris the bird. “Hey, I got a reputation to uphold! It wasn’t my screw-up, either. You tossed it too high.”

Diamond cut in. “All right, stop it. Nobody’s to blame . . . do I hear a car?”

“Yeah,” Fred replied. “Here comes Miz Hardy. She’s alone.”

Lizzie entered the house. “She’s okay. Minor third-degree burns to the wrist and hand. She’s staying overnight in the children’s ward. I don’t think she’s ready to go home right away. She feels safer there, I guess.”

Rabikes frowned at her. “That’s a cheap shot, lady.”

She replied, “Don’t jump on me. That’s only how she feels right now. Tomorrow I’ll pick her up.” Becky, still feeling like the lowest form of human scum, sheepishly gave Lizzie a note: I am so, so, sorry.

Lizzie smiled at her. “It’s all right. Accidents are accidents. I don’t blame you.”

“Ya see?” Fred told Becky. “It’s nothing to get fired up about.” Then he gulped.

It took all of Becky’s strength of will not to incinerate him on the spot. She was about to slug him instead, until Moulty asked no one in particular:

“Um . . . excuse me, but . . . who invited the army?”

Chris, Becky, John, Lizzie and Fred turned swiftly to see seven men, all in their mid-20s, all decked out in military camouflage, all aiming bizarre-looking weapons at each of them. The leader bore the name tag: “HUNT.”

“Everyone pick an opponent?” Moulty suggested.

“Taser those three,” Hunt ordered. Three of the men shot high-voltage bursts at Rabikes, Moulty and Fred. They fell to the floor, unconscious.

“SWITCH TO FATAL!” Hunt bellowed so everyone could hear. “TARGETS LOCKED -- FIRST ONE WHO MOVES SEES THE OTHER TWO DIE!” Hunt and a second man pointed their weapons at Lizzie. A third soldier covered Diamond. The other four switched their target to Becky. They were in painfully close quarters.

Hunt spoke fast “Very good, very good, do not deviate from my orders, because I won’t! My orders are to collect you three right now! Do as I say and your asses will not be kicked! We know who you all are and what you can do, so -- “ He grabbed Lizzie’s arm -- “You’re going to stay human! No molecularizing! Hands behind your back!” He turned to Diamond. “Your hands stay in the air, teepee! Keep them way up!” Hunt maneuvered in front of Becky. “If you give me any problems, hot stuff -- if you even think of opening your mouth, I’ll shut it for good! You got me!”

“She is kinda hot,” commented one of the soldiers.

“Shut up, Fricker!” Hunt shouted. “Keep your mind on the mission! Ladies and gentlemen, I don’t want to hurt anybody! All I want to do is complete the assignment! All you have to do is consider yourselves property of the General and everything will be fine as wine! You will not be blindfolded or restrained, unless you act up! There’s a hovercraft outside! It is large! We’re gonna board it now, and then you will see the General! This is your new home! MOVE OUT!!”

“Property of the General?” Lizzie asked. “What the hell is this all about!?”

“I CAN’T HEAR YEWWWW,” bellowed Hunt sarcastically, ordering them outside.

“That’s some hovercraft,” muttered Diamond grimly.

All three hostages were stunned when they saw it. A low hum seemed to emanate from it. Most of the hovercraft was still hovering some thirty feet from the ground as it was too large to land in the middle of the street. In fact, it was the size of a hotel. Projected from the base of the hovercraft was a large elevator with its door open for its newfound guests. They all boarded, three reluctantly.

Once the doors closed, the elevator drew its passengers up into the craft. The hum outside grew louder and the hovercraft rose higher and lurched forward, moving off several miles.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Dragon - by DerVVulfman - 12-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Dragon - by DerVVulfman - 12-25-2008, 08:19 AM