Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragon
Chapter Eleven
Julie

Becky lunged at the doctor, but two of the soldiers were faster. They shot her arms with low-level voltage. “Aaaaah!!”

“Julie Clancy’s survival depends upon you following our exact instructions within those ten minutes,” Roberts warned.

“YOU CAN’T DO THIS!!” Becky shouted. “I WON’T LET YOU -- ”

The soldiers zapped her again, this time in the shoulder and hand. “Aaaaah!”

Roberts continued coldly. “Let’s have some intelligence, shall we?”

“Just do it, dammit,” Emerson urged her.

“Are you going to hear the instructions,” Roberts said, “or do you require further prodding?”

? ? ?

With exactly ten minutes left for Julie to live, Becky took a deep breath and strode inside the courthouse. Her brain was frantic. They got Julie. But how? Did they get her at school? At Home? If they have her, do they have Tracy and Matthew, too? She checked her watch. Nine-and-a-half minutes. Gotta hurry-—

“Hold it, miss!” barked a guard at the front entrance. She’d set off the metal detector. “Put all your metal objects in this box. Your pocketbook, too.”

Hiding her frustration, Becky removed her engagement ring, then fished her pockets for loose change and two pens. “Sorry.” Nine minutes. Oh, my God -- if Hunt’s gone solo, does he have Julie? Trying to act natural, she headed for an elevator.

Because of the ebb and flow of cops and lawyers on each floor, it took two more minutes to get to the fourth floor, and another two to find the courtroom... Five minutes. Please, God, don’t let anyone get hurt. Don’t let Julie die! There it is -- number 4077. Time to become a terrorist, Becky. Move fast!

? ? ?

“Why do I get all the weird ones?” asked the judge.

“Objection, your honor. My client is not weird... merely lackadaisical.”

Your client took his time getting here. He kept me waiting six hours.”

“Me, too, your honor. That’s just the way he is.”

“Tell that S.O.B. to stand up right now.”

“He is standing, your honor. He’s an eagle.”

“Then put him on a chair so I can see him! Will the defendant please rise?”

Becky entered the room at this point. Two bailiffs were in front.

“Slomo Bloodbeak, I find you guilty of wasting my time. Unfortunately, you’re really hear to stand trial for multiple counts of armed robbery.”

The defense attorney protested. “But he was never there, your honor. He never is. He’s too damn sluggish. Can’t you see he’s incompetent? Look at his face!”

“Objection!” Slomo said as Becky walked forward.

“Your honor,” she said, “Bridget Van Pelt for the defense -- ”

“What? I’m defending this idiot! Who are you?” said the defense attorney.

“I’m taking over. You’re fired,” Becky insisted. Now. She took careful aim to her right, and flicked on the flame. Bailiff #1's gun and holster melted together, only lightly singing the man they’d belonged to. “Oww! What the -- ”

The second man pulled out his piece, but Becky’s flamespit made him drop it. Gritting her teeth, she destroyed his gun with a stronger diagonal burst. The bailiffs looked at each other, each giving his partner a “you first” expression.

Becky ran forward, pushing the judge away from his bench. “EVERYBODY STAY DOWN! NOBODY MOVES, NOBODY DIES! GET DOWN! Thank you!” The judge, the attorneys, bailiffs, and the jury all dropped to the floor. Slomo just stood stupidly as Becky turned to the judge’s wall and motioned with her head.

Three flaming letters blackened the wall: VSO, each twelve feet high.

She turned around swiftly, facing her captive audience, and asked loudly, “Has the jury reached a verdict?” She gritted her teeth again for emphasis.

“Innocent!” three jurors replied simultaneously.

“Not guilty!” shouted two more.

“Let him go!”

“Objection!” Slomo said stupidly.

“Overruled!” the judge yelled. “Shut up, you idiot!”

“What did I tell you?” marveled the defense attorney.

Becky raced for the exit doors, turned and said angrily, “Nobody follows me -- RIGHT?” She tried to look psychotic, but didn’t think she pulled it off.

“We ain’t moving”, answered one of the bailiffs.

“Then stand by for further instructions,” Becky said, and jumped out of the room.

Slomo, after thirty-eight seconds of consideration, wadded towards the exit doors but couldn’t figure out how to open them properly. “Verdict overturned! Get back here, you plucking moron!” shouted the judge.

“Objection!” Slomo said.

“Too late!”

? ? ?

Two minutes forty-five seconds, Becky thought, moving quickly through the corridor. I don’t dare use those elevators! The stairs this time! Stay calm. You’ve got time. They won’t hurt Julie if you’re on time. Stay calm and you’ll make it—-

Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Dragon - by DerVVulfman - 12-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Dragon - by DerVVulfman - 12-25-2008, 08:19 AM