Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragon
Chapter Thirteen
Such a Bastard

“DAMN!!!” Pardy shouted, furiously. “SHOT HER FIVE TIMES! What the--” She saw Moulty running dizzily on the floor and ordered “Fly through that!”

“Hell, no! YOU fly through that!” Moulty shot back. He’d computed the trajectory in his noggin and it didn’t look good.

“That’s an order, budgie!” Pardy yelled.

“Forget it, kid stuff! Moulty don’t jump through no flamin’ hoops for nobody!”

? ? ?

Becky, out of breath, slammed her hands onto the side of the unmarked VSO van. “LET ME IN!!” she screamed. The door slid open abruptly.

As she was pulled in by Emerson, Roberts critiqued “You’re four seconds late.”

“FOR GOD’S SAKE! I DID THE BEST I COULD! SHE’S ONLY A KID! PLEASE!!”

“Calm down. Just making an observation,” Roberts said.

“PLEASE DON’T KILL HER!”

“Please then calm down,” he ordered.

“PLEASE--”

“Calm... down.”

“What have you DONE with her? WHERE IS SHE?”

“Calm down or the men will shock you again.”

“I can’t,” she cried. “Where is she?”

Roberts sighed, disappointed. “Dragon, I’m giving you an A-minus for the overall effort, but I really wish you’d keep your emotions under control. Members of the VSO don’t have the luxury of...”

“Doc...” Becky pleaded softly, sadly. How can he be so evil?

Emerson was staring to feel some sympathy. “C’mon, doc. Four lousy seconds. Let’s cut her a little slack.” He patted her shoulder in support.

“If you insist, Private Emerson... she’s in the hovercraft. You can see her in fifteen minutes, barring further outbursts.”

“Is she... is she all right?” Becky asked.

“Fifteen minutes.” Roberts stared at her coldly.

? ? ?

Lizzie was in her eighth straight hour of wave-monitoring when she shouted to Diamond and Furfy “I’VE FOUND SOMETHING!!!”

“About time, Ho,” Diamond muttered under his breath.”

“SOMETHING ABOUT BECKY?” Furfy raced in from the next room, practically knocking Diamond over in the process. The men had made it back two hours ago, and both were impatient, having little to do besides pace and wait.

“Don’t talk-- don’t--” Lizzie held up her hand. “I’m sifting info-- Minnesota -- CB police radio-- police officers notified - Saratoga station-- three... individuals chasing young redhead--” she squinted, and continued. “Disorderly conduct-- destruction of property-- several fires in courtroom --”

“Come on, come on, COME ON, what does it MEAN?” urged Furfy.

“Please!” Lizzie held up a finger to her teeth. “Three individuals caught-- one child, one man, one parakeet-- all arrested--” Lizzie’s expression grew angrier and angrier “--charged with arson, disturbing the peace AND INDECENT EXPOSURE!!! AHHHHHH!!! That idiot!” She took her hands off the television. “They’re in jail.”

“WHAAAAT?” shouted Diamond and Furfy together.

“Chris, Moulty and my... sister...” she seethed “are all being held for questioning in Saratoga County lock-up! Blast it!” Lizzie flared. “I knew they’d muck it up!”

“What about the redhead? You said ‘young redhead’!” Furfy demanded.

“I’m sure it was her, but details are sketchy. She’s not with them now.” Lizzie grabbed a sandwich and took two quick bites. “Fred’s still not back yet. You two keep an eye out for him. I’m going to get to Minnesota. I can get there in ten seconds. Then I’ll bail them out of --”

“HOLD IT!” Furfy spoke suddenly. “I’m coming WITH you!”

“That’s impossible, David. I can’t convert other people this way, just myself. Even if you drove, Minnesota’s at least eighteen hours away --”

“LISTEN TO ME!” Furfy broke in. “Whenever you molecularize, your clothes go wherever you go. Am I right?”

“Of course,” Lizzie answered. Though the first time she ever traveled this way was by accident. She was arguing with her dad on the phone about Pardy’s upbringing. Neither Lizzie’s mother or father wanted to continue custody of the pre-teen dirt machine, always saying that Pardy was better off with the other divorcee. In rage, Lizzie flared up. “If you won’t be responsible enough for your own daughter’s well being...” In that instant, she realized that she was standing in front of her startled father... in his house... ten miles away... with his phone still in hand.

“Where are you going with this?” Diamond asked Furfy, confused.

“Well, think about it!” the scarred cop slapped his hands together. “That means that if Mr. Changer here turns me into something portable-- you can take us both! I am definitely coming along, lady!”

Diamond smiled. “Dave, that’s genius! Why didn’t we think of that, Ho?”

Lizzie was uncertain. “Wait a minute. Theoretically, it should work-- but-- I can’t guarantee it. I’ve never traveled with a disembodied person before. You--”

“I’ll take that chance,” Furfy insisted. “We’ve got to find out whatever we can, and that means getting to Chris. Let’s do this right. Right now”

Diamond obeyed. Extending his hand, he spoke. “Handkerchief. Sixty seconds.”

>BING!<

Lizzie put “David” in her shirt pocket. He’s a smart man. That’ll be just enough time, if this works. Johnny, hold the fort and watch out for Fred.”

She vanished before he could reply. Diamond looked around the empty room. He touched his forehead and muttered. “Banana. Two seconds.” Nothing happened. He looked at his reflection in the mirror, thinking This is all your fault, you know.

? ? ?

Becky, Roberts and the others were back on board. The hovercraft had lifted off once again, heading further west.

Becky was looking for Hunt. She had a foul expression on her face. Roberts and company were close behind. She finally saw Hunt, alone, walking in her direction. “Hi, Fox. How’d it go?” he asked.

“Where is she?” Becky growled in a voice that scared even herself.

He stopped in front of her, grinning. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She flung her fist hard into his jaw. Hunt fell back, as she advanced, trying to claw him. “WHERE IS SHE!!! I’LL KILL YOU!”

The sergeant recovered, grabbing her hands as they sought out and found his eyes. “She who? Are you nuts, Fox?”

“I WANT TO KNOW WHERE SHE IS!” She tried to press her attack, but Hunt’s military training kept Becky in check.

“I WANT TO KNOW WHO SHE IS!” Hunt shouted back, then shoved her aside. What the HELL are you screaming about? You want me to take you apart?”

“WHERE’S JULIE?” Becky screamed, and rushed him again. He side-stepped, grabbed a handful of hair and forced her against the nearest bulkhead.

“WHO IS JULIE?” Hunt bellowed in her ear. “Keep this up, Fox, and I won’t be as gentle! You’re no match for me, unless you flame up! But, you won’t! You’re too smart. Sure, you could roast me, like Fricker-- but you’d be DEAD!!! NOW WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR @##%ING PROBLEM?!?”

Becky broke down, clutching the wall and sobbing. “I-- I want to s-see... Julie...”

“I’m afraid that’s not possible,” Roberts cut in.

Those words struck Becky like a knife. Her eyes gazed at the impassioned scientist and felt her heart turn to ice. “WHY-- NOT?” Becky screamed.

“She was never brought on board,” the doctor replied.

“WHAT? B-But you s-said...”

“She was never even kidnaped.”

“Becky clutched her chest and nearly collapsed to the floor, her mouth open in simultaneous shock, relief and anger.

“You’re much to gullible and trusting, Dragon. Next time I hope you’ll know better.”

“Ohhh... Jesus...” she breathed. “WHY? Why...”

“We needed a hook. Stop acting so amazed. It’s not the first time I’ve lied to you.”

She was beyond tears now-- the news that Julie was completely safe was still soured, because that Becky had been tricked into returning when she could easily have escaped-- if she’d only known. She was the only prisoner aboard. “Why are you such a bastard?” she asked Roberts mournfully.

“I see. You’d prefer it if your niece had been in genuine danger. If we wanted to, we could set up that scenario any time in future missions. You next mission is in just three hours. Toughen up. You’ll live longer.” He paused for emphasis. “Besides... sooner or later everybody loses someone they love. That’s life.” He left the hall.

“Don’t let him get to you, Fox,” Hunt advised her. “He’s just messing with your head. It happens to all of us in training.” He massaged his jaw.

Becky looked at him, saying hesitantly. “So you don’t have Julie... but if you did... and Roberts ordered it... would you have killed her?” She wanted to believe otherwise.

“Go to hell, Fox,” Hunt snapped back instantly, and began walking away.

“Wait. Dammit! Wait!” Becky called after him.

“Two seconds,” he said.

“Kevin, I’m sorry I thought... I’m sorry I slugged you. Roberts made me think --”

“Forget it. You hit like a girl,” he said disgustedly.

“Hrrrrrrr-rrrrr...” Becky gritted.

“I said forget it, Fox. You don’t scare me and you can’t take me. Apology accepted. Try that again and you’re history. Se ya later, incinerator --”

The mini-fireball struck an intercom next to Hunt’s head, then dissipated.

“General says no flaming,” he reminded her, smiling.

“No,” she corrected, “Fatso said no flaming of human flesh. You may be human after all, but that’s beside the point. Who says I can’t take you?”

Hunt scoffed, “Come on! You couldn’t take Woody Allen with his arms and legs cut off.”

“Is THAT so?” He had her Irish up now.

“You couldn’t take Ray Charles out with a rocket-launcher!”

“You really think I can’t take you, Kevin?” she asked devilishly, tilting her head down.

“No way in hell, Fox.” He spat out a blood drop, and looked as devilish.

“That’s it! You and me, twenty falls out of twenty, my room, no flames, no tasers, ten minutes, no spectators! Deal?” she challenged. Inside her brain, a voice cried out: Are you crazy?

Hunt laughed. “How can I refuse such an invitation like that? You’re on, hot-stuff!”

Emerson just happened to be walking by at that moment. “Kevin and Becky, sitting in a tree,” he muttered, sniggeringly.

“Stow it, Private,” chided the sergeant.” This is purely educational.”

“I’m definitely watchin’ this on closed-circuit,” said the private.

“You’re dead, Fox,” Hunt smiled. “You’ve got guts, among other things... but you’re still dead.”

“Flick you,” Becky shot back. “I’m gonna get you.” They both grinned.

Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Dragon - by DerVVulfman - 12-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Dragon - by DerVVulfman - 12-25-2008, 08:19 AM