Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 BIG MAPS
[Image: uSqjY09.png]
Version: 1.7

Introduction
This allows you to chain multiple maps together to make one hellacious big honkin' map!

All seamless, it creates a single map in memory based on the maps you merge together. Save, load, teleport between, so far, it all works!

Script
"Big Maps"

Credits and Thanks
Er.. me? And my little test subject who loved it (Trade Secret).

Author's Notes
Damn, that's a big map. Did ya just make a 2000x2000 tile map????

Terms and Conditions
Free for use, even in commercial projects.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
Great work, DerVVulfman! I guess the script creates maps like in Pokemon games, where it all look like a giant big map. Awesome!
Does it work with the Lycan ABS?
"Fairies are bad. I had to kill an innocent and fight my own sister to save the world, and they looked at me disgusted and left me dying. Two years later, I was revived and had to sacrifice another innocent with a Dark Ritual to save the world again. That's why I became a Succubus. And I don't regret it"
- The Khaleesi, Queen of Apocalypse and of the Succubi
[Image: katy-succubus-on-couch-modding-union-signature.png]
Reply }
I haven't had the opportunity to test it. I figured SOMEONE would ask Laughing Still, if it works with the map looping feature of the Mode 7 Edit I rereleased... mebby?
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
Since half a dozen people read my last post.... YEP, new news to report so this permitted by recognized double-post etiquette as allowed.

Big Maps works with the Lycan ABS!

But Big Maps does NOT work with the minimap. Heheh... pretty much understandable as most (if not all) minimaps reads the 'current' map ID and just imports 'that' data. Anything outside the range of the imported data (like where you are in the big map) is a nil spot of territory and draws an error. Well, I have thought about working on my Minimaps to see about allowing for looping maps (unique for minimaps), but now have another objective. But Minimaps is another subject.

Reply }
Awesome! All hail the great DerVVulfman! :D
"Fairies are bad. I had to kill an innocent and fight my own sister to save the world, and they looked at me disgusted and left me dying. Two years later, I was revived and had to sacrifice another innocent with a Dark Ritual to save the world again. That's why I became a Succubus. And I don't regret it"
- The Khaleesi, Queen of Apocalypse and of the Succubi
[Image: katy-succubus-on-couch-modding-union-signature.png]
Reply }
Time for a 
BIG BUMP!
to version 1.1

I did a little more testing.  And to my surprise, my minimap system did actually work! 

However, it was an issue with the map teleport system.  It wasn't properly loading the (what I thought was) saved original map dimensions which adds to the x/y coordinates where you're being transferred. 

Well, it's fixed now and works just fine with Lycan and my Minimap.  You may encounter some weirdness if you set custom colors for terrains if you don't pay attention to where you teleport.  Remember to mind the mmap_terrains, mmap_terrains_b and other like features you can alter via map events if you teleport to them correctly (but that's another topic :P ).

I did test it on Selwyn's (or Squall's) original Passable Minimap... but it only can account for event locations. It unfortunately just reads the 1st map it enters and draws the passability there... no others.

Reply }
This is a
BIG BUMP!
That's not really a bump

Today, I did some more work. But nothing has changed within the Big Maps script itself. Instead, this update is to reveal the first script adaptability patch.

Until now, Near Fantastica's Dynamic Maps script did not function with Big Maps. This because Near Fantastica's script read the map ID of the 'individual' map your player starts his/her game and uses it as a key when teleporting to a different map. And if you returned to a big map, you may not be using the same map ID upon return. Yeah. Sounds kinda technical, doesn't it? Needless to say, in a Big Map where you might have 9 individual maps, it may be trying to load from the wrong map ID. THAT was the problem.

Thus, the need for a new patch.

The patch takes the map_id in question, and now looks to see if it is part of a 'Big Map'. If it isn't a big map, then it's business as usual. But if it is part of a big map, then it does a bit of substitution. It will use the very first map ID in your list of Big Maps for the whole saving/loading process.

And thus, problem solved!

The patch is now in the main post of this topic, but is also visible below. Just paste it below 'Dynamic Maps' to use:

Code:
#==============================================================================
# ** BIG MAPS / Dynamic Map Patch
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#    by DerVVulfman
#    version 1.0
#    07-23-2017 (mm/dd/yyyy)
#    RGSS / RPGMaker XP
#
#  A simple patch  that allows the Map module  defined by Near Fantastica's
#  dynamic maps system  to recognize Big Maps.  If a Big Map is recognized,
#  the patch will use the 1st defined map in the Big Map as its data index.
#
#  Just paste this below 'Dynamic Maps' so the Map module is replaced.
#

module Map
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Set Map
  #     map    : map data
  #     map_id : Map ID
  def Map.set_map(map, map_id)
    map_list  = []
    map_key   = BigMaps.map_test(map_id)
    unless map_key.nil?
      map_list  = BigMaps::Map[map_key]    
      map_id    = map_list[1][0]
    end
    @map_data[map_id] = map
  end
  # * Get Map
  #     map_id : Map ID
  def Map.data(map_id)
    map_list  = []
    map_key   = BigMaps.map_test(map_id)
    unless map_key.nil?
      map_list  = BigMaps::Map[map_key]    
      map_id    = map_list[1][0]
    end
    return @map_data[map_id]
  end
end

Reply }
So theoretically this script makes it possible to have a completely seemless game world.
That sounds really awesome.

I'm wondering if it will become laggy at some point when you've merged over 100 big maps together.^^
Reply }
BIG BUMP!
to version 1.2

Grawww.... I had to perform a logical error fix.

The system is meant to allow one to make Big Maps. That is understandable. However, I want the system to allow you to be able to make MANY big maps, and not just one. This was the intent. Unfortunately, some neglect popped up and the only big map created until now was just the first one configured. If you set up maps F and G and H, only the first 'F' map would be generated and all the other maps were normal.

What do I mean? Well, assume you have the following set-up in the script:
Code:
# MAP LIST        Hor Ver       List of BigMaps
  # =========       === ===       ============
  #
    Map['f']  = [ [   3,  3 ]  ,   [ 1, 2, 3,       # Assumes first three on top
                                     4, 5, 6,       # Assumes next three in mid.
                                     7, 8, 9 ] ]    # Assuming last three below

Map['g']  = [ [   4,  4 ]  ,   [10,11,12,13,
                                    22,23,24,25 ] ]

Map['c']  = [ [   2,  4 ]  ,   [26,27,28,29 ] ]

With this, only the first encountered big map, big map "f" would be generated. That was a problem only recently detected.

BUT THAT IS WHY I MADE THIS BUMP.

This issue has now been corrected, and you can make multiple big maps and not just one.

For coders (or users of my revised Charlie Fleed MiniMap), each Big Map has an identifying Key value, that being the key you use within the Map[] hash, like the 'f', 'g' and 'c' examples above.

Reply }
BUMP!
to version 1.3

STUpiD! sTupID! stoopid!  Doh!!!

There was a tiny error in the code that handled the transfer from one map to another.  The bug didn't affect transfer to or from a Big Map, but just between regular maps!  Arrrrrgh!!!

And it was just because of a single stupid statement!!!   AAAARRRRGH!!!! 

Well, it's fixed now.  Nothing changed in the configurables.  Just the code underneath, and really just with the Interpreter class to be exact.

Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   The Charlie Mini-Map / Dynamic Maps Patch DerVVulfman 2 3,896 03-29-2022, 11:55 PM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Dynamic Maps Expanded DerVVulfman 11 10,977 07-06-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Melana
   H-Mode7 maps in RMVX Ace MGC 5 39,307 12-29-2018, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Kamillo
   Isometric Maps: MiniMap DVV Patch DerVVulfman 0 4,754 06-26-2014, 03:27 AM
   The Lycan ABS Isometric Maps Patch DerVVulfman 1 5,935 06-25-2014, 03:54 AM
   GubiD's Isometric Maps Package DerVVulfman 1 5,787 06-25-2014, 03:31 AM
   Importing FPLE maps in RMVX MGC 5 15,558 04-21-2012, 11:45 PM