Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Introducing RM2k/3 users to RMXP or RMVX?
Repost from the old forums.

I know some particular RPG Maker 2k/3 users who really do not want to use RPG Maker XP or VX because the scripting system is a turn off and it requires them to learn a bit of RGSS. Does anyone know how to make it easier for someone to transition from 2k/3 to XP or VX?
Reply }
if people want to use it, let them. ive seen far better games made with 2k/3 than xp or vx. just because you CAN add scripts for weather, day and night, time, shadows, lighting, eating, drinking, sleeping, real economy, 4 battle systems, over complicated inventory, and horrible paperdoll systems doesnt mean you should.
Reply }
Why does it require learning RGSS? It doesn't require anything and doing many of the stuff to emulate 2k3 for instance isn't like a LOT of script doing just copy/paste lines with different stuff... IMO they want to stick with that because it's easier, easier graphics, easier set up...

To introduce them it would take them to stop being closed minded and script-phobic and someone to explain them that setting up stuff like scripts is easy and it's explained inside the script itself
Reply }
There is no need to use the script functions at all. Though I do understand if they do not want to use VX :P. If you want them to use XP, the best way is to buy them a legal XP version.
Reply }
Honestly, what made me switch to RMXP was that I could copy/paste a script someone wrote to do a caterpillar system that I had bled and sweat trying to create through events in 2k3. That opened my eyes to a lot of possibilities. But that doesn't mean you have to use scripts, nor does it mean you have to learn to script if you DO want to use scripts. I can't script to save my life, but I know how to copy/paste and credit people. ;) Once you get past the initial 'Omg, this is too complicated" mindframe, RMXP completely blows previous Maker titles out of the water. At least, it did for me. ^^
Reply }
Olivia Wrote: Show them a highly decorated screenshot of an RMXP game, and show them that they only have to C/P script into a game. That's what interested me into RMXP.
that you can put even less effort into games than before?
Reply }
Better yet why not do something like i did.

http://rmvxp.co.cc/thread-86.html

Have them make an XP Game with 2M2k/3 Graphics.

That's why i'm converting those chipsets to xp format.
Reply }
That's an interesting approach as many users were turned off by the graphics (it seems to happen every time a new maker comes out)
Reply }
And every new maker needs to be bashed badly for some bad reason.
Reply }
Well... the differences you see.

Also, I sometimes (IMHO) consider that users are not willing to make a switch because they're used to being pros on X version and think that might be different with Y version of RM

Agreed or not? Why?
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Rmxp jubhub731 0 3,177 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Last Post: jubhub731
   New RMXP idea/concept. Sorry if in wrong section. Jparker1984 9 13,100 06-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Jparker1984
   I have just discovered that in rmxp... Charlie Fleed 13 17,122 09-03-2009, 04:56 AM
Last Post: PK8