Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Loopable Music - How to!
Hey guys, this is a short tutorial on how to make loopable music to use in your games.

To begin with, here is a example of a loopable song I've made (download to test it if you want):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28025798/MLW%20M...Temple.mp3
Most of what I discuss in this thread has been applied to it!

Keep in mind that RPG Maker doesn't loop perfectly and may introduce a small gap in the loop. Sadly there's nothing you can do about that.

Step 1: Import your track
Step 2: [IMAGE] Go to the end of your track and add a fade-out. This must be VERY VERY small - a split second, or you'll hear it in the loop. This step will prevent any "pops" or "clicks" that are typical in badly-looped music.
Step 3: Export your track, but when you do, make sure you restrict the export to the EXACT LENGTH of your loopable track. If it exports more, the silence will show up again (and we all know that The Silence are a pain in the proverbial arse!).

So is that all?... Yes! That is it! But before you run off all excited and roll in a field of flowers, read on because the next part is important if you make your own custom music tracks.

When you do, there are a few aspects you may like to consider before we actually get to the looping part. These are not necessary but can help.

Step 1: Are you using Reverb? (If you're not then you SHOULD BE!) If so, you may want to reduce its use before the end of the track. Doing this will make the transition from the end of a song back to its beginning less noticeable. For example, if your backing instrument (s) have a lot of reverb. Well, for the last second of the song, you can consider turning the reverb down a bit, or shortening its length. You could also have reverb-heavy instruments stop playing towards the end (in a natural way that suits the composition).

Step 2: If you're using volume automation (slightly more advanced here) then don't drop it to -infinity db because in some software this can create clicks (rare, but it can happen). Instead drop to -75db which is effectively silent.

Step 3: Consider making the start of your song loud rather than quiet. This will help hide the transition from the end back to the start.
Reply }
- Bump - Keeping this on the top for yamina-chan to make sure she sees it. :)
Reply }
XD
Thanks, I did see this, I just had no time to reply earlier.
I've tested it now and found if working with the track I used. Only with the .oog filetype for some reason but it's a start *laughs*
(And I'm scared by your screenshot XD That programm looks simple yet quite comlicated XD)

Thank you for helping ^^
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one." (C.S. Lewis)
For the time you're laughing, there's nothing wrong in the world. (Colin Mochrie)

If it's funny, make sure people laugh. If it's not funny, make it funny (unless it's actually really serious). (silvercheers)

Please don't spell my name "Yamina-chan". It's all small. Thank you =D
Reply }
It's REAPER, my DAW (digital audio workstation). Like any software, you have to learn to use it before you like it. I found it very natural when I started though and it didn't take me long to feel very much at home with it!

I'm glad this helped, but it's strange that it didn't work for an mp3. What happened? What's the issue? :)
Reply }
I'm not quite sure what. The first time I got the same glitch as before, half a second of silence and part ot the music cut off. When I tried the exact same thing as oog it worked fine. Afterwards I exported it as mp3 again, thinking I might have done something wrong but that time the audio played past the part where I cut the track when I tested in the RPG maker. (Don't ask me how it's possible, I don't know XD)
I'll mess around with it a bit more. It used to work just fine with mp3s a few months back after all, so theoretically I should get it to work at some point XD' (I hope ;b)
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one." (C.S. Lewis)
For the time you're laughing, there's nothing wrong in the world. (Colin Mochrie)

If it's funny, make sure people laugh. If it's not funny, make it funny (unless it's actually really serious). (silvercheers)

Please don't spell my name "Yamina-chan". It's all small. Thank you =D
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   A Layman's Thoughs on Game Music DerVVulfman 2 4,000 09-01-2019, 03:32 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   An Introduction To Digital Music Creation, Part 2 MetalRenard 1 6,627 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Last Post: MetalRenard
   An Introduction To Digital Music Creation, Part 1 MetalRenard 1 6,857 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Music  Size optimazation for projects using .mp3 music hanetzer 0 3,754 03-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Last Post: hanetzer
   MetalRenard's Music Tutorial Thread - Videos! MetalRenard 14 20,313 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
   How to compose music deValdr 6 11,683 05-19-2011, 10:42 PM