Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
 What do you dislike in ATB Systems?
I want to know what are disliked in specific atb systems or the atb system concept in general. Just feel free to share that :)
For instance, I dislike atb systems with:
Fixed atb wait condition - Sometimes I might want to be more relaxed, so I might want the atb wait condition to be true whenever a party member can act(the loosest atb wait condition); Sometimes I might want more challenges, so I might want the atb wait condition to be true only when an action's executing or a message's displaying(the strictest atb wait condition). Therefore as a player, I want to be able to change the atb wait condition on the fly.
Hidden actor atb bars - To me, it's like hiding the actor hp, mp and/or tp bars. As atb bars display their actors' atb values, which is one of the most important information in atb system battles, I want to be able to keep track of them easily. At least, if the actor atb bars are hidden by default, I want to be able to change that to be shown instead.
My RMVXA/RMMV/RMMZ scripts/plugins:
http://rpgmaker.net/users/DoubleX/scripts/
Reply }
The whole ATB system is a pet peeve of mine, TBH. I hate how I have to wait for some arbitrary gauge to fill before I can take my turn. I just want to go immediately from my turn to the enemy's turn to mine and so on.

Hidden ATB, though, is especially bullcrappy. As you say, it's like hiding the HP bar. : |
3DS Friend Code: 3411-1039-9335
(Add me for teh pokeymanz and barvely deefalt!)

[Image: tumblr_inline_nzmbrz53G11sotucm_1280.png]
Click for the latest update - and vote for someone to die! >8D
Reply }
The atb is crap- Its like a halfway between Action and turnbase and it doesnt speed up anything at all.
In an action battle I have direct input and can react in real time, In turn base I can think while the enemy does their attacks and input and have it instantly done. In atb though I have to wait to input. Its lame. FF7 and the like got away with it on the wieght of their stories and characters. but as a game element I was much more invested in Materia then Atb.
Reply }
The atb is crap- Its like a halfway between Action and turnbase and it doesnt speed up anything at all.
In an action battle I have direct input and can react in real time, In turn base I can think while the enemy does their attacks and input and have it instantly done. In atb though I have to wait to input. Its lame. FF7 and the like got away with it on the wieght of their stories and characters. but as a game element I was much more invested in Materia then Atb.
Reply }
^ This. This right here I mostly rather agree with.
3DS Friend Code: 3411-1039-9335
(Add me for teh pokeymanz and barvely deefalt!)

[Image: tumblr_inline_nzmbrz53G11sotucm_1280.png]
Click for the latest update - and vote for someone to die! >8D
Reply }
(05-16-2015, 09:33 PM)RosyPosy Wrote: The atb is crap- Its like a halfway between Action and turnbase and it doesnt speed up anything at all.
I think there's at least a small niche between turn base and action battle - having time management and control but not space management and control.
Any action battle needs space management and control to work, while atb doesn't necessary need that, although some atb do have that dimension.
Ordinary turn base has no time management at all, while it's necessary for any atb to work(otherwise it'd be ctb).
So atb can target those wanting time management and control(speed chess players) but not space management and control(movements in 2D/3D).
Reply }
I don't see anything wrong with ATB systems, everyone be gettin' so picky these days it's ridic, yo! [Image: confused.gif]

...In all seriousness, I don't get why people hate on particular systems, and like one over the other. I just play the darn games [Image: laughing.gif]
Reply }
(05-17-2015, 04:31 AM)Bounty Hunter Lani Wrote: I don't see anything wrong with ATB systems, everyone be gettin' so picky these days it's ridic, yo! [Image: confused.gif]

...In all seriousness, I don't get why people hate on particular systems, and like one over the other. I just play the darn games [Image: laughing.gif]
Maybe because different players/developers have different wants and/or tastes.
Some wants to play speed chess, some don't want to deal with space management, some want to command an entire army(which would be TBS or similar stuffs), some don't want to waste time on waiting the atb bars with slow refill speed to refill from empty to full...(etc)
When talking about things players/developers dislike in ATB systems, it can be about the entire ATB concepts, specific ATB systems, or even specific uses of specific ATB systems.
In some cases, the entire ATB concepts might just violate the major targeting audiences' expectations; In some other cases, it can be some of its specific implementations that disturb most players.
So I think hating ATB systems are completely ok, as long as there are clear subjective preferences/objective reasons behind it lol
Reply }
time management is one thing but shouldnt it go the other way? If I wanted to have time managment in battles I think a time LIMIT- would be better.
If you dont make your moves quickly a penalty or cost could apply and if you do them really quick you get a bonus of some sort (crits-extra attacks maybe even status effects or something)
You know what game Im talking about?

Thats right : LOST ODYSSEY
Original final fantasy members made the game and Its fucking awesome. mainly because the turn based system has an artificial time limit. when you select attack you have to time your shot to do the best damage. Ad even get special effects in the fight. it feels so much better and speeds up the game play dramatically, while still being primarily a thinkers game.

Alsso Not picky- Skeptical- A critical eye improves Practice, Practice improves action.
like I said legendary games have atbs- but they were clearly not without faults. and the draw back is that for the most part it slowed down combat rather then make it really feel like an inbetween the two extremes.
Reply }
(05-17-2015, 11:08 AM)RosyPosy Wrote: time management is one thing but shouldnt it go the other way? If I wanted to have time managment in battles I think a time LIMIT- would be better.
If you dont make your moves quickly a penalty or cost could apply and if you do them really quick you get a bonus of some sort (crits-extra attacks maybe even status effects or something)
You know what game Im talking about?

Thats right : LOST ODYSSEY
Original final fantasy members made the game and Its fucking awesome. mainly because the turn based system has an artificial time limit. when you select attack you have to time your shot to do the best damage. Ad even get special effects in the fight. it feels so much better and speeds up the game play dramatically, while still being primarily a thinkers game.

Alsso Not picky- Skeptical- A critical eye improves Practice, Practice improves action.
like I said legendary games have atbs- but they were clearly not without faults. and the draw back is that for the most part it slowed down combat rather then make it really feel like an inbetween the two extremes.
Are you talking about its aim ring system? Did I miss something else?
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Popular Battle Systems kyonides 6 6,217 02-24-2022, 10:40 PM
Last Post: kyonides
   When should I use global, instance, local, and constants in event systems? PK8 17 25,020 12-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Charlie Fleed