Save-Point
What's up, RMers? - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: What's up, RMers? (/thread-395.html)

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 06-26-2023

I've been fiddling with the idea of using a non playable class to let people easily configure the conditions that would let the player buy skills for his or her heroes. Who Knows? I don't know if I'll do it from scratch or rewrite an existing script.

Thinking What do you think about that idea?
Happy with a sweat Is it useful?
Confused Or is it convoluted and unnecessary because there are easy ways to achieve the same goal?

Can anybody tell me how Mimic was supposed to work?
And that mysterious guy that FF6 included, the one that never showed his or her face but was capable of casting tons of skills? Who was that guy?

RE: What's up, RMers? - Steel Beast 6Beets - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 01:03 AM)kyonides Wrote: I've been fiddling with the idea of using a non playable class to let people easily configure the conditions that would let the player buy skills for his or her heroes. Who Knows? I don't know if I'll do it from scratch or rewrite an existing script.

Thinking What do you think about that idea?
Happy with a sweat Is it useful?
Confused Or is it convoluted and unnecessary because there are easy ways to achieve the same goal?

Can anybody tell me how Mimic was supposed to work?

I think Mimic simply imitated the last command issued by an ally without consuming magic or items.

Quote:And that mysterious guy that FF6 included, the one that never showed his or her face but was capable of casting tons of skills? Who was that guy?

Gogo? I've always assumed he's simply a reference to the FF5 boss with the same name that gives you the Mime job.

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 06-27-2023

Thinking I see. Thanks for the information, Steel. I'll keep it in mind.

Right now I'm working on a skill shop script.
Happy with a sweat Yeah, I know that it doesn't sound like a big deal.
But wait! Shocked There's more!
This shop will be able to take one of your skills and turn it into a fake item. Grinning
The in game term for it would be a skill scroll. Winking
Obviously, you can make another hero learn that skill by "reading" it.
You would only need to create a placeholder item and then the script would take care of the rest. Sculptor
Does it sound useful or interesting at all, guys? Confused

RE: What's up, RMers? - Steel Beast 6Beets - 06-27-2023

Would the character lose the skill-turned-item? At any rate, it sounds like a pretty interesting way to manage the heroes' skillsets.

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 06-28-2023

Lose the fake item? Confused Why would you want them to lose it? Worried 
I mean, it will be consumed if another hero learns it. Happy with a sweat

RE: What's up, RMers? - Steel Beast 6Beets - 06-28-2023

(06-28-2023, 01:08 AM)kyonides Wrote: Lose the fake item? Confused Why would you want them to lose it? Worried 

No, no... I meant to ask: does the hero lose the skill that was transformed into an item?

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 06-29-2023

(06-28-2023, 11:12 PM)Steel Beast 6Beets Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 01:08 AM)kyonides Wrote: Lose the fake item? Confused Why would you want them to lose it? Worried 

No, no... I meant to ask: does the hero lose the skill that was transformed into an item?

As of version 1.2.0 that has been released like right now Happy with a sweat yes, you'd lose the fake item alias scroll.
What did you have in mind, Steel? Thinking

By the way, there's a menu that can let you open a secondary menu that looks pretty much like the standard Scene_Item script, he, he.

RE: What's up, RMers? - DerVVulfman - 06-29-2023

(06-25-2023, 01:46 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Hrm...  So now I have a fun (not) issue with the Layered Spritesheet tool.  Everything I currently have is functional, but with a feature that needs to be addressed.  And that feature is that certain layers need to be connected when it comes to chromatic alterations.

In other words... If I change the hue or color of the character's body, things like overlaid faces, ears or tails should also be immediately affected by the same change.  Likewise, hair-based layers would have their own links as it were.

I did this when I created CharGen Ex.  However, that tool had all the paths hardcoded.  Layered Spritesheet however has all the base resource pathways defined within the INI, so this has to be a scripted system.  And each time any chromatic change is made to one of the resources, Layered Spritesheet will need to check a 'list' of links.  And if a list is detected... it runs the changes upon all other resources defined.

Well, I got that stage done!  

If I have a spriteset in the works with a body, a custom head (mebby klingon?), and special elf ears which all belong to a suggested 'Skin Set', I can adjust the Hue and/or Color Balance which will automatically set and adjust all the layers at the same time!

Now there is a drawback to this.  After it process the change to the hue and color balance data to a given set (the body, ears, etc), the system must affect the actual graphics for that set.  So when one changes the hue to a set of ears, it not only sets the value to the ears, body and related content, it 'reloads' and changes the hue to all of the related content.  And likewise if the color balance is changed, though it must execute the scripted color balance system which takes longer.

Currently, this feature now cycles through >ALL< of the layers, not just those affected.  Aka... bummer.  If you had changed color balances to Hair, eyes and skin, making a change to the color of a sash would ... sadly... cycle through and reload the hair, eyes, and skin which would take time that should NOT be spent.

I do have something in mind (as I usually do) in order to lessen this amount of graphic processing.  As I said, it is currently cycling through all of the layers.  This I plan to change so it checks to see if the change is to merely a single layer or a layer set, and then just process the layer or layerset.  While color balanced graphics will still take time depending upon the end-user's PC, at least the processing time should be lessened.

But currently, changing the color balance and/or hue of one item in a layer set, the change affects all within that layer set.

RE: What's up, RMers? - Steel Beast 6Beets - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 01:34 AM)kyonides Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 11:12 PM)Steel Beast 6Beets Wrote:

As of version 1.2.0 that has been released like right now Happy with a sweat yes, you'd lose the fake item alias scroll.
What did you have in mind, Steel? Thinking

By the way, there's a menu that can let you open a secondary menu that looks pretty much like the standard Scene_Item script, he, he.
Breath of Fire III and IV features a skill system where characters can learn skills from enemies and then unlearn them with a special item. The unlearned skills are stored so they can be accessed later. Your script could allow one to do some very similar.

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 06-30-2023

That reply of yours might have inspired me to add an extra feature, the accessories that multiplied the number of copies of the scrolls you'll get at the mysterious scroll shop... for an extra charge as well. Happy with a sweat

Or I could add another feature that will allow the shopkeeper to throw in an additional scroll picked from some random list for being a regular customer of his...