Save-Point
What's up, RMers? - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: What's up, RMers? (/thread-395.html)

RE: What's up, RMers? - DerVVulfman - 08-16-2023

The Futuristic Characters Pack seems to be just characterset and matching Faceset artwork, this according to what I read on the description from Steam.

Now POP City does have custom tilesets... specifically for modern building exteriors and interior (dilapidated) home and offices. So that's a plus. A minus is that you have no other 'city' content such as stores, police/fire stations, restaurants, banks. It also has vehicle charactersets including taxis and police squad cars. But again, there's no police station. Mostly positive reviews except from two, one not knowing to select the 'gray' area as the semi-transparent color when importing.

Note: In 2018, one guy complained about the $15 price.... it's still $15. But the complainer was like "It just has this and that and this", which ... was clearly indicated in the advertisement anyway. JUST READ WHAT IT SAID, GUY!!! Geez... next thing you know, he'll complain why his hamburger had no cheese when the next thing on the menu says 'cheeseburger'.

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 08-17-2023

All of those DLC's are on sale on Komodo Plaza right now so I won't be paying a lot for them. Tongue sticking out

Eating Hamburger Burgers...

RE: What's up, RMers? - DerVVulfman - 08-17-2023

Well, that's good to hear.  

Well, I did manage to get a few more things worked out with my upcoming save menu script.

You can toggle between viewing two save files or three.  That because four wouldn't allow you the screenshot option within the save windows.  I also managed to have the last saved game become highlighted once more.

REASON:  I loved how RPGAdvocate's  so-caleld "Unlimited Saves" script let you increase the number of save slots available beyond the default four. However, he had not conceived of a way to scroll through the various save files to highlight the most current save.

Though a slightly clumsy method was used (in my own opinion), I did come up with a solution.  Yes, I'm calling my own solution clumsy.  But if it's stupid and it works... it's not stupid.

And another of RPGAdvocate's scripts did consider bringing up an alert message if you were going to overwrite an already existing save.  This too is a good idea, especially if you may have accidentally clicked on the wrong save slot and did not mean to erase a favorite save.  I know one game where someone has a good hundred saves...  Still, this is an optional feature and can be deactivated.

I was busy today, though allergies had caused me to sleep off some of the day, use up a box of tissues  at other parts.  Yeeeeesh.

I may get to clean up the code for release soon. 

WITH instructions where the individual modules are that (1) Display the map name, (2) Display the real world date of your saves, (3) display the game time...  This because you may wish to use alternate formulas, adapt for certain map systems, and so on.

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 08-17-2023

I've been told that there's a huge bundle pack available on Fanatical.
I gotta admit that it looks a bit, err, old fashioned but it comes packed with lots of different stuff for sure.

It includes up to 31 DLC's for US$10...

Here's just an example:

Temple - Rogue Adventure

Quote:Asset Content:

Temple tiles for your game!
2 Type of Temples (Sun/Moon)
over 800 tiles!
over 100 animated tiles!
animated torches!
animated traps!
multiple type of walls!
multiple type of grounds!
lots of props!
3 sizes 16x16, 32x32, 48x48!
Usable on any engine! (Unity, Godot, GameMaker, RPG Maker...)

Has anybody Gamer played any of the King's Bounty games?

RE: What's up, RMers? - DerVVulfman - 08-19-2023

The Rogue Adventures tileset doesn't seem to have much 'texture-wise' to the brickwork. And I would gather that they really sprited one or two torches, superimposed them against select tiles, and then said 'new torch' because of the background. Likewise, that increases the tilecount. Couple that with one tileset as a recolor of the other and that's it.

In other words... big boasts. Oh, and nope... haven't tried any King's Bounty games.

Meanwhile, I just finished the screenshot saving script and posted the demo.

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 08-22-2023

People, especially those that are not used to scripting, please remember what I am about to tell you here.

Any PATCH for a given script is NOT a snippet for some script call event command.

If you can find stuff there like class SomeName or module AnotherName, it does not belong to that command. Never. Really Never.

RE: What's up, RMers? - kyonides - 08-27-2023

Here's another friendly reminder for the average game developer.

Get used to using backtrace scripts. Usually, they're not too complex for newcomers. Even so there might be a couple of them that makes things a bit complicated for people like you. That doesn't mean they're not helpful at all. Actually it could be quite the opposite.

Why do you need a backtrace? Thinking 

If you are implementing Editor scripts, sooner or later you'll find a Bug bug.
Well, it could be something that's missing or a wrong filename has been provided somewhere else, etc.
There are a couple of occasions where the error is so extremely simple that the usual popup window already tells you what you need to do next. At least a scripter could give you a short explanation on that.

Yet, there are some situations where the error message is very cryptic. This is the perfect moment to go find a text file that can fill you in with all the details of what happened before it made the game crash. Normally, backtrace scripts provides you with this useful feature.

Warning! Sometimes those errors never ever show up on screen. Confused Those are a real pain you know where.

RE: What's up, RMers? - Remi-chan - 08-27-2023

I use scripts only when I can't event things. So far no bugs because i have enough brain cells to realize putting 80,000 scripts into a project doesn't make my game good, it just makes it chonky.

It's about finding a concept and gameplay module that works and polishing that to a mirror shine. In my 40+ hours long demo 3 of Fantasia i have a whole...
40 scripts. Most of those are for cosmetic things like scene upgrades, and mapping aides such as fogs, better weather and save event locations.

The only scripts I have that serve purposes in gameplay are mostly aides to make my work easier.

1. An on-map actor HUD which i turn on in battles. i could have simply event one with pictures (as I did in PFC), but that gets tricky with differing health values.
2. Diagonal movement, mostly thanks to certain maps feeling very clunky without it.
3. A batch / event collision checker that means I don't have to set up four variables every time i wish to check for a collision between a player and a projectile. it is one of the most vital plugins I have, and I commissioned it due to its importance.

That's it. I guess at a pinch you could count the extra move routes plugin as well. I barely use it though and its mostly for very specific situations.

I suppose the keymapping plugin makes it four since I use it to map the keys for the battle system. You can't typically map a function to 'T' on the keyboard for example.

The rest of the scripts are to help the game look so fly as it does and lets it stand on its own two feet. The dialogue system was important to make to these standards as dialogue is such a large part of the game.

Speaking of, here's some of it and some new portraits Pjcr delivered to show it off~!

The portraits for the Shadow Pixies without names are placeholders i pulled from the run-time package of visual novel maker and recolored to suit.

This dialogue was mostly to test out the portraits and probably won't be the same in the new release build that will go on steam.

As for other updates. Pjcr sadly could not make it to his thing. He felt sick and tested positive for Covid so i told him to forget it and get some TLC, he has been able to upload slowly during his time in quarantine which is why we have Mad E. Lin's portraits.

Xiie will likely be back tomorrow. Pjcr will undoubtedly get back on track after he's clear of Covid. He's a tough lad who's dealt with far worse, so he should be fine. I told him his health is a priority. The game's release can wait if it'll mean he's working only when he's fit to.

RE: What's up, RMers? - DerVVulfman - 09-01-2023

Just going through the old default scripts of RPGMaker XP, and noticed this with the Scene_Status code:

Code:
class Scene_Status
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Object Initialization
  #     actor_index : actor index
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def initialize(actor_index = 0, equip_index = 0)
    @actor_index = actor_index
  end

It might not mean a thing for the average person, but this method was apparently meant to get an 'equip_index' value. Except the class does absolutely nothing with it.

RE: What's up, RMers? - DerVVulfman - 09-02-2023

Oh, been a bit busy with NUMEROUS projects.  One of which is the Microsoft Objects set...

VIDEO (.MP4):
.mp4   2023-09-02 17-04-30.mp4 (Size: 520.75 KB / Downloads: 7)

The video has 5 boxes of sorts.

The top-left window is my initial testing widget collection that lets me switch the contents of the blue list box below from Dog/Cat to Pig/Cow and back.  I didn't show it off in this video, but the icons below are inventory icons you can shuffle around by drag/drop.

The bottom-left is just another window with a single listbox widget, and the bottom center is the start button window with three buttons.  Gee, wonder what they do?  Yes, the middle button IS disabled as there is no save game.  OH, and you will notice that you can move them.  And yes, the big [X] button in the top right of the windows means you can indeed close them.

The top center and top right shows just list-box widgets, one set to display the armor list and the other the spell list.  Granted, I also tested item removal and addition capabilities which is why either Remedy or Greater Remedy in the list... I deleted them just as I generated the listbox.  These are also 'fixed' widgets, which means they cannot be moved about.

But lastly, the fun began when I started working on a DropDown listbox.  Aka FRANK!  That was something I was working on.  And now I have it, and have it working nicely.  Oh, I have some touching up to do of course... a few options such as differences between the titlebar width and dropdown list width, whether the option selected appears in the title, and more.

BUT.. actual OS-styled widgets are becoming a real thing.

Mouse input courtesy of vfvgf.  I wanted something that had a full mouse/keyboard setup