Save-Point
The Spirit of Darkness - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Complete Projects (https://www.save-point.org/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: The Spirit of Darkness (/thread-5856.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Spirit of Darkness - habs11 - 07-13-2016

[Image: 73n8vy89kf79rgpzg.jpg]

Project by Habs11 (Gabe Haberly), 2007-2016.

Greetings my fellow game creators. I would like to introduce the world to my project, The Spirit of Darkness. If you enjoyed classic adventure RPGs like Final Fantasy (Tactics, 7, 8, 9, 10), Chrono Trigger/Cross, Secret of Mana, Legend of Zelda, then this is the game for you. Don't get me wrong, I am not so arrogant to place my game on the level of all the previously mentioned games in terms of its quality. However, being an avid fan of all of those games, I can attests that my game definitely has a very similar spirit. The story is probably closest to FF7 and CT, with the "main" objective identified early, but en route to reaching the objective there are twists, turns, and surprises that leave you on your toes until the very last battle. This allows the story to build on itself into a crescendo that climaxes with the final showdown. As my brother said after completing it, "your game is like a fine wine, it gets better with time!". 

In my humble opinion, contemporary games can have good stories, but they are missing true character development. Thus, I wanted to capture the spirit of the old school RPG by creating characters (both playable and non-playable) that were unforgettable, both good and evil, chaotic and lawful. As you play through the game, you will uncover many aspects of the characters that are unique, both in their back story and their development of new abilities. This can be a rewarding experience, because you feel like you know the true self of each character after going through the story. Thus, they take on their own unique personality, both in and out of combat. You will view them more as an individual person rather than a tool to fight enemies and gain power.

My first game I created was for RM2k3, and it took me 3 years to complete it. I liked the game, but after completing it in 2007, I was left wanting more. My second game was this game, The Spirit of Darkness. I completely redesigned the story and game play while upgrading to the RMXP engine. After working on it on and off for 9 years, it is finally complete. I am very proud of the finished product, and I am excited to share it with the gaming community.

Please keep in mind as you play through the game, I did 99% of the content by myself. My brother helped out with a few maps and such, but I wrote all of the dialogue, created all of the characters, skills, weapons, armor, etc., and modified many of the original scripts/animations/battle backgrounds. I have test played through it 3 times, and my brother has played through it once. Thus, I am confident that I have removed most of the bugs, but there is always a chance I missed something. So, if you encounter any problems, please contact me. This is probably the last game I will ever create. I have put a lot of time and effort into it, and I certainly hope you enjoy it!

To get the best introduction to the game, I recommend that you download and view the instruction manual. I have made it as detailed as possible without giving away any major spoilers. It really has everything you need to know about the game, and would give you a good idea of how to play the game. However, I know that some people like to see tangible things on the screen, so I will provide a few things to hopefully grab your interest.

I have created a demo for those that want to test the waters first (see link below). The demo should take around 30-45 minutes to complete depending on your RPG skill level, and will give you a good idea of the game play and mechanics. If you do decide to play it, feel free to email or PM and ask any questions you might have about the story, side quests, equipment, forge items, secrets, etc. Please include "The Spirit of Darkness", or "SoD" in the subject line so I can distinguish between emails. Thanks!

A special thanks goes out to DerVVulfman and Charlie Fleed. They were extremely patient and helped me adjust my scripts exactly how I wanted them throughout the entire creation process. The game would not have been what it is without them.

**Legal Disclaimer Notice/Terms of Use**
This game is for private use only. The game itself, as well as all of the resources used, are not for distribution, and will never be used for commercial gain. If you want to take a resource from this game and use it for your own private game, first please ask for permission.

Email: gabe.haberly@gmail.com

Game Features
  • 40-50 hours of game play within the main story line, 50-60 hours if you complete every side quest and get all ultimate equipment/skills
  • Plot full of original characters, monsters, twists, victories, defeats, and much more
  • Multi-layered dungeons filled with treasures, enemies, puzzles
  • Explore over 500 maps in both a physical and spiritual realm
  • 17 playable characters (8 regular, 4 summons, 4 temporary, 1 hidden)
  • Side quests, ultimate equipment/skills for every playable character
  • A master of the forge that can help you create weapons and ultimate armors/helmets/accessories using loot from monsters and rare crafting materials
  • Optional ultimate dungeon and boss
  • 94 tracks of non-RTP music
  • No random battles, similar to CT
  • Party switching system, allowing you to switch characters at will both in/out of battle
  • Elemental properties for both magic and weapons
  • Charlie Fleed's FFX Battle System (Limit breaks (Edges), summons, magic, skills, etc.)
  • Minkoff's Animated Battlers for the battle system
  • Charlie Fleed's FFIX Skills Learning System
  • Influenced by FF series, Star Wars, Star Trek (movies and show), CT, Game of Thrones (books), LOTR, Legend of Drizzt series, Baldur's Gate Series.....look for character references and quotes ;)
Instruction Manual Download Link

Content Hidden

Introduction to the Story

Content Hidden

World Map

Content Hidden

Characters

Content Hidden

Summons

Content Hidden

Screenshots

Content Hidden

Credits

Content Hidden

Demo Download Link

Full Game Download Link

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - Bounty Hunter Lani - 07-13-2016

Game looks trippy, might give it a try sometime.  Happy with a sweat 

I'll let you know what I think after I've tested it!  Blushing + Cheery

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - Ahzoh - 07-21-2016

I want to make a game as good as this, I'm sure I can draw inspiration from what I've seen.

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - habs11 - 07-24-2016

@Bounty Hunter Lani

If by trippy you mean awesome, then I'll take it Winking . I would appreciate any feedback you have whatsoever, so please send some my way after you get a chance to test it out!

@Ahzoh

Thank you for the much undeserved compliment, it is much appreciated. After 9 years and thousands of hours (no exaggeration), it better be good! If you ever test it out and are in mind to have some feedback, I would appreciate it. I hope it inspires you to make a great game as well!

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - kingray100 - 08-28-2016

Ran through the demo just now. Not bad! Lots of work went into it. Much better than my project. My only gripe was that I kept running into these weird vine things on the floor of the forest that looked completely passable, but really weren't. In turn, I got trapped into fighting some zombies that I tried so hard to avoid lol. Otherwise, pretty good. Battle theme sounded like club music. And the running theme at the end sounded like the background of a gangster's rapping theme song. 8.5/10.

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - habs11 - 09-12-2016

(08-28-2016, 04:33 AM)kingray100 Wrote: Ran through the demo just now. Not bad! Lots of work went into it. Much better than my project. My only gripe was that I kept running into these weird vine things on the floor of the forest that looked completely passable, but really weren't. In turn, I got trapped into fighting some zombies that I tried so hard to avoid lol. Otherwise, pretty good. Battle theme sounded like club music. And the running theme at the end sounded like the background of a gangster's rapping theme song. 8.5/10.

Thanks for the feedback! Regarding the passability issue, the tileset for the maps on the demo are just the default RTP forest. I hadn't really had any problems in the past, but I can definitely look into it. Regarding the music comment....lol! The battle theme was actually made by a really good friend of mine that makes hip-hop beats for fun. There are a few more tracks of his scattered throughout the game. The running theme was definitely from a hip-hop artist, and if you play the regular game, there would be a few more to come!

I certainly hope you end up playing the main game, and let me know if you do. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks again!

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - jreagan406 - 03-07-2017

Just played the demo and I have to say, this is great! It got me hooked from the start. I'm really looking forward to playing the whole thing. Great work!

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - habs11 - 03-20-2017

(03-07-2017, 02:34 AM)jreagan406 Wrote: Just played the demo and I have to say, this is great! It got me hooked from the start. I'm really looking forward to playing the whole thing. Great work!

Fantastic! I'm glad you enjoyed the demo. Sometimes it's hard to know what part of the game to put on display. You want to give the gamer a good feel for the game without giving any of the storyline away. I hope you enjoy the game even more. As you go through the game, let me know if you have any questions, and please give me your feedback!

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - kingray100 - 09-04-2021

Finally found some time from my busy schedule to play about maybe a quarter into the game(just got into Kingston, told to go to harbor).
I have some questions about the game as a whole. Would it be fruitless to mention them here? Or would you prefer some kind of PM instead?
I know this is quite an old project but I figured feedback is always welcome in a small community like this.
I am still currently working on my project as well and hope to be able to publish my game to the public for free.

RE: The Spirit of Darkness - habs11 - 09-09-2021

(09-04-2021, 05:58 PM)kingray100 Wrote: Finally found some time from my busy schedule to play about maybe a quarter into the game(just got into Kingston, told to go to harbor).
I have some questions about the game as a whole. Would it be fruitless to mention them here? Or would you prefer some kind of PM instead?
I know this is quite an old project but I figured feedback is always welcome in a small community like this.
I am still currently working on my project as well and hope to be able to publish my game to the public for free.

Glad to hear it, friend! By all means, please ask, and I would be happy to help!