Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 skill in RPGs
I must admit I actually like grinding BECAUSE that minimizes the skill I need to beat a game. I'd rather bruteforce my way through a battle than trying anything that might require a modicum of strategy. If it is the wrong way to play then so be it, it has worked for me through ages and it will continue to do so.

Hell, I avoid RPGs where I cannot indulge myself in some mindless level grinding because that's what I find enjoyable: being able to crush enemies into fine dust with minimal effort.

As for "entertainment" quests, why don't you make quests that show why doing quests is a waste of everybody's time and not fun at all? You know, quests that are an intentional boring chore? That would make for a very meta commentary on the nature of those things in games.

The original NieR is the crowned king of this. In particular the "runaway son" quest that appears halfway through the adventure and has you chasing a guy all over the world. When you complete the quest and return to the home of the man who sent you on the mission, you find the place empty. A nearby man tells you that the son was actually trying to get away for his criminal family and "some idiot" i.e you brought him back. Also, you don't get anything in return.

See? What makes for a more entertaining resolution than the one where the joke is on the player?
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
skill in RPGs - by unwashedmendicant - 06-02-2017, 02:30 AM
RE: skill in RPGs - by DerVVulfman - 06-02-2017, 03:29 AM
RE: skill in RPGs - by unwashedmendicant - 06-02-2017, 05:08 AM
RE: skill in RPGs - by DerVVulfman - 06-02-2017, 08:37 PM
RE: skill in RPGs - by Steel Beast 6Beets - 06-04-2017, 01:33 AM
RE: skill in RPGs - by MetalRenard - 06-04-2017, 08:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Artificial Intelligence in Turn-Based RPGs MechanicalPen 10 17,793 05-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Ryaryu