Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 RGSS scripting dissections and explinations
hey everyone! I'm sure posts like this has come up before but I feel its needed to post something like this again!

RGSS1 RGSS2 & RGSS3
all powerful scripting languages that can be effectively used within the RPG maker series with immediate results that don't require extra programs

the downside? very hard to learn the language especially if its your first computer language

so I'm making this thread to help unravel the secrets of this language and then compile it into a legible tutorial that even a child could learn something from!

there's not enough scripters left for RGSS and the requests just keep pouring in like a bad leak that desperately needs repairs

so lets fix that shall we?

insert thinking music here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5apie1jywc

OK for the 1st section of this language dissection lets focus on RPG Maker XP's scripting system (as its not only the most used language on SP but also the one I specifically want to learn)
RGSS1 (Ruby Game Scripting System)

the few things I personally know about it are as follows:
1: its powerful enough to let anyone creative enough to do anything inside the RPGXP system even if it overly pushes the system to its limits
2: its loosely based off of Ruby version 1.8.1 (good luck finding a tutorial for that exact version)
3: it apparently uses something called "Trig" or "Trigonometry" that's super advanced math? probably where all the overly complex terms come from...
4: it uses "pacman" < and "reverse pacman" > along with "hashtag" # "money" $ "star" * "squiggly A" @ and a buttload of "dots" . and "double dots" : just to list a few
5: scripting is very "CASE SENSITIVE" meaning that if you mistype something or forgot a : where its needed you'll get a "SYNTAX ERROR" which means ya messed up on something and hopefully it'll show you which line to look at so you can hopefully fix it

and most importantly! quoted from a wonderful scripter that I know
Quote:A computer program is supposed to be logically designed. However, two people can write a program that does the same thing in totally different ways. Compared to event systems with its engine-dependent limits, actual programming gives you way more flexibility.

my mind translated that to be " its like baking! cake! there are hundreds of different ways to make a cheesecake that will all taste the same!"

with that in mind I started this post
lets see what each "ingredient" in scripting is! sample what they do and what they're called! to give us all a FULL understanding of what to do next!

for example!

arrays
strings
variables
modulous
exponent

what are they? what do they do?

my answers are this:
arrays  = a boxfull of numbers that can help organize stuff
strings = a boxfull of words that can help organize stuff
variables = the term used for pretty much everything that isent specifically called another term or "user input"
modulous = ..uh I don't really know is this even a word?
exponent = is this even a word?

what do you guys think?
any contributions are welcome!
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: 55e3faa432d9efb86b8f19a6f25c0126-dawz35x.png]

new logo for Yesteryear created by Lunarberry!
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
RGSS scripting dissections and explinations - by Siletrea - 09-06-2017, 07:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Help iwth script (RGSS Player crash) Whisper 3 6,504 06-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Whisper
  How can I use the cmd of "require" in rgss superegp 2 5,336 11-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Last Post: kyonides
   Scripting in VX vs VX Ace Miharu 5 8,149 02-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Taylor
   Combat animations via scripting; How? ZeroSum 2 4,537 09-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Last Post: ZeroSum
Question  RGSS stoped to work Chaos17 5 6,856 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Ruby, RGSS & General Code Discussion Kain Nobel 6 9,820 12-22-2012, 05:11 AM
Last Post: MechanicalPen
   [Request] Tut. for RGSS Eldur 9 10,493 12-07-2012, 04:27 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   [ASK-RGSS] Behemoth's CBS alike Getsuga_kawaii 0 3,834 04-29-2010, 03:07 PM