Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Things that you will NEVER include in your game, or hope to never see in another's.
Inproperly Placed Checkpoints: These are something that piss me off the most. Since I'm playing the Megaman Anniversary Collection right now, I'll use that as an example; when you have to hop over a bunch of oddly patterned bricks, just to hop over another section of oddly patterned bricks, just to hop over yet ANOTHER section of oddly patterned bricks... to get to the point where you have MORE ODDLY PATTERNED BRICKS OVER A HOLE TRAP... and the last part is the most frustrating... I don't want to fall in the hole and die, just to go over the first 3 sets again before I can tackle the 4th set that gets me the worst.

Things You Absolutely Can't Dodge: More of a minor irration than anything, but paired with the fact that you're getting your ass half-handed to you from a single hit, with many more assaults coming your way, this is when it becomes bothersome. I can't count how many times I've come across a boss that, no matter what he's going to hit you at least once, but completely trolls you with these overly whimsical projectiles that never fail to hit and reduce your life by halves and thirds. The challenge is already there, as it is nearly impossible to dodge these attacks, but its overkill to make each hit so dramatic.

Just let it end already: I guess this is more of a nitpick I have with followers of certain movie and game franchises, than an actual game itself. What happens is... the end of things will come, and leave you with a bunch of unanswered questions and cliffhangers. Furthermore, people will dwell on these things, and then demand another re-hash of said adventure, instead of letting the characters retire and the story to be put to rest.

When it doesn't end: Another nitpick I have; when a company realises that the fans just won't let it die! While I'm happy that there really isn't a Chrono Trigger 2 (unless you count Chrono Cross), I get tired of the revisits to the world of Final Fantasy VII; suddenly, in the past you have another bad guy besides that Sephiroth dude, and in the future, you've got 3 Seph-wannabes running around doing... whatever it is they do. Why? Just let it die already, everybody lives happily ever after.

Boring story scenes: Its almost inevitable with RPGs... keyword 'almost'. While at one point or another, you're going to have to let the character know whats going on, and why, but sometimes the explainations can be too much to stomach. A good remedy to this would be a journal/log system of some sorts where, if the player really persists to know wtf is going on, they can open a log book and read in greater detail than what the dialog covers. For instance, instead of having NPC 8 tell you everything you need to know about [insert subject here], he can give you a pamplet that you can read later on your own liesure, only if you feel the need.

HYDUKEN/KAMIKAMIHA!!!!!: Alright so... you've got a pretty wealthy cast of characters who all have their dynamic signature abilities exclusive to them, then you have the main character who everybody else tries to be like; suddenly, everybody looks like the main protagonist and sports all the same moves, such as their Hyduken/Kamikamiha! So... what makes the main character special anymore? Nothing really... perhaps their legacy is something to be spoken about, and perhaps they're so perfectly balanced that maybe you don't want to choose anybody else but, other than that, there isn't much to make them feel unique anymore :/
[Image: Button-BOTB.png]
[Image: Save-Point.gif][Image: Button-You-Tube2.png][Image: Button-Sound-Cloud2.png][Image: Button-Audio-Mack2.png]
[Image: LS-Banner.gif]
NEW ALBUM OUT NOW!

Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Things that you will NEVER include in your game, or hope to never see in another's. - by Kain Nobel - 02-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   SMILE GAME BUILDER only $13.99 DerVVulfman 0 812 12-27-2022, 05:06 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Unnamed Game Engine is known as Roole kyonides 2 3,762 08-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Last Post: kyonides
   I have a request when making your next game... JayRay 1 4,543 11-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Last Post: kyonides
   Input on what sort of game you'd be interested in ChickenFetus 7 12,944 06-28-2016, 03:14 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Game Development Dream Team Kain Nobel 2 6,132 06-17-2016, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Bounty Hunter Lani
   my Game Battle Questions! JayRay 3 5,911 08-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Last Post: JayRay
   [Kinda-Poll] Pattern Game for new maker hanetzer 4 7,825 01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Last Post: JayRay
Video  Lets Make a Game LilyKnight 27 29,515 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Last Post: greenraven
   10 Things that Suck About Being a Developer Kain Nobel 2 5,193 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Last Post: MetalRenard
  Game Idea Thread KasperKalamity 30 35,511 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Last Post: KasperKalamity