Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round Robin 1.3: The Saga Continues Again
1)

The warmth of the fire did not reach the mouth of the hidden cave and the chill was bracing. Daniel's body shivered as the cold lanced through his clothes, yet it barely registered in his brain as he stood at the mouth.

Gods! I almost killed Marcus! his mind raced. Just like the men in Takuro! Oh gods! Was that me? Or the blade? Oh gods, what have I done? What have I done?

"You're going to freeze if you keep standing there."

The half-elf boy turned with a start. Marcus stood nearby, his staff in one hand, and the elven blade in the other.

"Marcus," Daniel stammered, "I thought you didn't want me near-"

"Lad, that was a joke. No harm done. Well, almost no harm done," he added glancing at his favored weapon.

"But, I-"

"You reacted with an unfamiliar weapon like someone who's been on his guard for days," Marcus said firmly, "and now I have a new gash in this thing. Deep one too. Still, you were lucky"

"...I was lucky?"

"Yes. Lucky it was me behind you and not someone who isn't a paranoid bastard. Otherwise you might have hurt someone."

Ashamed, Daniel turned back towards the night.

Marcus sighed. "Now listen to me lad. There's something you need to understand."

He couldn't tell if he was getting through to the boy, but pausing only to adjust his glasses, he plunged on none the less.

"I'm sure you've heard that people say that a weapon is an extension of the wielder, body and soul, two as one. The thing is, with elven craft, it's a bit more...accurate. I'm not sure I can explain it, I don't quite understand it myself, but a master elven craftsman imbues a bit of a spirit in his work - No, not a spirit, but a force... there really isn't a word for it our tongue."

"You mean the sword is alive and attacked you?"

"No lad. But it can magnify what you're feeling, possibly more. And right now, you're tired and you've been through much that you don't understand, and I suspect you're worried about a lot of things, am I right?"

Daniel gave a reluctant nod.

"Thought so. Now take this."

He pressed the grip of the elven blade into the boy's hand. "Remember," he told Daniel, "this blade may be an extension of you, but in the end, you have to be the one in control. You need focus and purpose, otherwise the blade controls you and bad things happen, just like back there. Remember, without a wielder, it's just a piece of pretty metal. Now, I can teach how it's used, but you have to choose how to use it. Do you understand?"

"...I think so."

"Good. We'll continue the lesson on the morrow. I swear, only a damned fool would keep talking here when there's space by the fire."

With that, Marcus made his way back into the cavern.
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Round Robin 1.3: The Saga Continues Again - by Mea - 06-25-2009, 06:32 AM