Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
 How to merge tilesets, Using Gimp 2.0
I always see people asking questions about how to edit tilesets. Its a very easy process, and doesnt take any previous knowledge.

Step 1- Firsty, you need to download GIMP 2.0.- It is a free Image editer, and the one that I will use for this tutoiral.

Gimp 2.0 Link - http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Now, In a tileset for Rpgmaker XP, the size of the tilsets WIDTH is always the same. Its set at 256.

The height can be changed to as long as you would like, but I suggest not making it extremely long, as I beleive it will cause more lag.

RMXP uses a tile system, and each tile is 32 x 32 pixels.

Step 2 - When you open up Gimp, under the Image Tab, you can select Configure Grid, and change the grid to whatever you want, but- - - - for tileset editing, you will want to stay at 32 x 32.

Step 3 - Now, when you open up Gimp, choose the first tileset you would like to edit, and open it up.

Step 4 - Now, go to the View Tab, at the top, and click, Show Grid & Snap to grid.

[Image: tut1wg0.png]

After you do this, a grid will show up, and these are exactly how the tiles are layed out in RMXP, and you are ready to edit.

Open up your second image, and repeat steps 2-4.

Now that you have both images open, choose what you would like to combine.

I will move a tree over to a different tileset for this example.

Step 5 - Once you know what you would to combine, use the Rectnagle tool, at the top-left hand corner of Gimp.

[Image: tut3ng9.png]

Select the area around the tree with the rectangle tool. Once you have the area selected, press Control, C to Copy the selected region. Make sure that you are exactly on the grid. This should be easy since you clicked the Snap To Grid option.

Step 6 - With the tree now copied, you are free to paste it (Control, P) to any area of the second tileset.

Step 7 - If there is no room for your new material, then you will need to increase the size of the tileset's height.

Step 8 - To increase the size of the tileset, click on Image, at the top of your tileset. Under this tab, click on the Canvas Size...Button.

[Image: tut4mn3.png]

Step 9 - Once in here, there is a small chain looking icon to the right of width and height. Unlick this, or else the width of the tileset will be changed, and that is no good. Once you unclick this, you may change the height to whatever you like.

[Image: tut5dt0.png]

Step 10 - Find the appropriate spot for your new graphics, and paste them in!

Hope This Helps Some People~
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Arrows and GIMP kyonides 1 1,635 03-14-2022, 01:06 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
Wink  Using pre-rendered graphics as tilesets in RMXP. zerodin 6 12,930 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Last Post: MetalRenard