Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
 An Introduction To Digital Music Creation, Part 1
This is the 1st part of a 2 part tutorial. The second is HERE
Please don't reproduce this tutorial without my prior consent.

An Introduction To Digital Music Creation, Part 1

Getting Started With Digital Music: Download and details
This is a tutorial on how to begin making music on your computer. I'm using the music creation and production software "Reaper", but it is also a general introduction to the world of music creation and you can learn a lot of things you can apply to other software too. For example, part 2 shows you how to use midi!
Do you already have a DAW/Host? Then you can skip this part and start here.
Otherwise, you can find REAPER's free trial here.
Reaper is not free, but only costs 60$ for a licence, and in my opinion, that is an incredible deal.
Reaper also has a 60 day free trial.

Not interested in this? How about if we learn to compose music together instead?

Installation
When you have downloaded Reaper, install it as you would any other software.

Open reaper. You will be shown this menu:
[Image: SetUpAudio.png]

You need to set the "input" to what ever you use to record audio, if you do record, and the "output" to your speakers, as in, the drive that runs them.

The "Sample Format" determines the depth of your recording. You must know that standard is 24bits since it allows more space for volume with lower noise thresholds... Sorry getting too complex there.
Also, set it to 48000 hz.
There, now you have the music production standard set up and you're ready to go!

What else do I need?
Now the fun part... The instruments.
You should check out Komplete 8 Players. This is a set of free instruments and plugins that ranges from soundscapes to lead synths and a bunch of pretty decent drum kits and acoustic instruments.
Next, you should get SampleTank FREE by IK Media. It offers a 500mb sample library that ranges from symphonic orchestras to modern bass and synths.
Make sure you install both of these in the same folder called "plugins". Keep track of where this folder is!

Final Step!
Now, you have installed the Libraries in the "plugin" folder. You now need to tell Reaper where to find it.

To access this menu, go to "Options", then to the bottom of the drop-down menu to "Preferences".
[Image: VSTPlugins.png]

This is the menu you will now see. Select VST on the left.
Now, choose "Add" and direct it to the folder called "VST Plugins" that you installed the libraries in before hand. Nearly done!
Click "Re-Scan" and give it time to scan the folder. Sometimes this can take a few minutes, the libraries can be HUGE (some are gigabytes...).

And you're set! Reaper is now ready to run and you have a bunch of instruments to use with it.

Stop by the 2nd part (HERE) of this tutorial to learn the basics of using Reaper!

FAQ
Is there a free DAW out there?
Yes! Look at MuLab for example. It's not great, none of the free ones can rival the premium ones sadly. It is a nice place to start though if you don't have any spare cash at the moment.

What other options are available to me?
You can find out about FLStudio and Cubase. Cubase is much more expensive and I don't recommend it for beginners and I'm not a fan of FLStudio, but at the end of the day it's up to you what you want to use! Other popular options are Mixcraft and Studio One 2.

Why do you like Reaper more than the other DAWs? (Digital Audio Workstation)
Reaper is what I like to call a "no bullshit" piece of software. It has a minimalistic design that doesn't get in your way. Its interface is also simplified so that you only see what you choose to see, and when you choose to see it.

Where can I find more instruments?
These instruments are called "VSTi"s. If you google the instrument you want and add "VSTi" at the end you will often find what you're looking for.
Reply }
// Updated both of these tutorials with more recent information and a couple of different images //
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   A Layman's Thoughs on Game Music DerVVulfman 2 4,002 09-01-2019, 03:32 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Become a composer! Part 2: Learn Your Instruments MetalRenard 7 11,619 07-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Ahzoh
   3d rendered realism in RMVXA Part I JayRay 1 9,411 12-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Last Post: JayRay
   An Introduction To Digital Music Creation, Part 2 MetalRenard 1 6,629 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Last Post: MetalRenard
   Become a composer! Part 1: Baby Steps! MetalRenard 0 4,852 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Music  Size optimazation for projects using .mp3 music hanetzer 0 3,754 03-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Last Post: hanetzer
   Loopable Music - How to! MetalRenard 4 8,089 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Last Post: yamina-chan
   MetalRenard's Music Tutorial Thread - Videos! MetalRenard 14 20,313 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
   How to compose music deValdr 6 11,684 05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
   It's Good To Be Evil, Part 2: The Anti-Hero Kaos Tenshi 2 5,604 06-07-2010, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Kristovski