Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RMXP Crashing when playing MP3s
Hey guys, long time no see.

So I asked about this in the shoutbox quickly first, but a quick answer from minimal detail would be a stretch.

So, I recently picked up the game hat again and decided to crack on with a project, only thing was, as soon as I tried to playtest, RMXP crashed.
I was a bit confused at first, so I started checking things out to find the issue, and then I did.
I opened the sound test window and tried to play a track and voila, the editor stopped working and closed again.
With a little extra searching, I found that it was the MP3 files exclusively crashing the player.

All I can think that's caused this issue is updating to Windows 10, might have screwed with the way the editor operates.
I've tried reinstalling RPG Maker XP completely fresh, removing all registry entries for it. I've tried running it in compatibility modes and as administrator.
Neither worked.

I mean, this is only an inconvenience, as I'd just have to convert all of the files to .ogg (Probably better anyway)
But I thought it's an issue worth bringing up to see if anyone has any idea what's going on with it.
Reply }
After leaving files alone for a while, I've found that they suddenly corrupt for no reason, causing annoying crashes.

I myself have Windows 10, and have had zero trouble with any types of music files. Not so sure it's the upgrade.  Confused 

I'm sure someone with more experience could help, but in my Windows 10-using opinion, I don't see any reason the upgrade would've done that.  Sad 

Also, you said you tried compatibility modes, but they didn't work. That kinda gets rid of the Windows 10 argument then, right?  Confused 

Hope you get this fixed soon! 
Reply }
Okay, how about this... which version(s) are in use.

While I do not have Windows 10 (8.1 myself). But I do have these stats for RPGMaker XP within the help system:

RPGXP Version 1.05a
Ruby Version 1.8.1 (hahah... ReGaL owns that with 2.1+)
Scintilla Version 1.58
libogg / libvorbis 1.0

Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
RPGXP Version 1.05a
Ruby Version 1.8.1 (Noice. I look forward to ReGaL)
Scintilla Version 1.58
libogg / libvorbis 1.0

All the same as yours.
Reply }
Confused I never had issues with .MP3 files with RPGMaker line. I even had a cheap (but handy) .dll that played .mp3 for the older RM2K3 systems. This is gonna sound stupid and I've never had issues, but have you tried re-recording/sampling your .mp3s into a different frequency/rate?
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
I've tried with several from 128kbps to 320kbps.

Thing is, it has to be the windows 10, because when I tried downgrading temporarily back to windows 7, it worked perfectly again, then when I upgraded again, poof. No MP3s.
Reply }
I'm using:

RPGXP Version 1.02a

Ruby Version 1.8.1
Scintilla Version 1.58
libogg / libvorbis 1.0

I have no problems with MP3 files before or after switching to Windows 10. I was worried before I switched that it would mess something up, but it all turned out alright.

Do you have the correct codecs? Is your Windows 10 up-to-date? Are your programs up-to-date? Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in? (The last one is a joke, but ya never know...)

Also... can you play the MP3 files outside of RMXP? Because it could be a bigger problem than the RM you're using...

UPDATE: 
Apparently after upgrading to Windows 10, some people encountered a problem. The upgrade sometimes changes the permissions of files to where you cannot play them. Check the files and make sure they're not blocked or something. They may also be set to "Read-Only", which is a big problem as well. Hopefully it helps! 
I'll keep searching for more help if this doesn't do the trick  Happy
[Image: SP1-ResourceHunter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Director.png]

Destiny of End Thread: http://save-point.org/thread-5585.html
Destiny of End Twitter: https://twitter.com/DestinyofEnd
Destiny of End Youtube: (Coming soon)
Reply }
Hm, it doesn't matter I guess. It's not much effort to convert 'em to OGG, so I'll just do that.
Just inconvenient, and thought that maybe someone here'd fixed such an issue before.

Thanks all the same guys, it means a lot. :P
Reply }
UPDATE: Okay it's not just MP3, it's WAV too. It seems that the only audio format working is OGG.

MASSIVE PAIN. >¦C
Reply }
So... did you try what I suggested? You didn't say anything about any of it, or answer any of the questions I asked...  Confused
[Image: SP1-ResourceHunter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Director.png]

Destiny of End Thread: http://save-point.org/thread-5585.html
Destiny of End Twitter: https://twitter.com/DestinyofEnd
Destiny of End Youtube: (Coming soon)
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Methods to Extend RMXP's RTP selections? Kain Nobel 1 5,590 09-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Kain Nobel
  Occasional RMXP Input Problem Kain Nobel 2 7,575 12-30-2013, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Kain Nobel
  stupid rmxp problems KasperKalamity 9 12,846 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Last Post: KasperKalamity
  RMXP isn't playing *certain* MP3s Kain Nobel 4 9,103 07-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Kirito
  [RMXP] Loading Time Ace 7 11,166 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Taylor
  RMXP NOT WORKIN AHHHH!!!!!!! blackspets 3 5,712 04-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Last Post: fgsfds
  Using RMXP with Wine. spazfire 2 5,381 03-10-2010, 08:14 AM