Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
 Scarlet Star
[Image: 1GBi61H.png]

Set in Pennsylvania during 1932, Scarlet Star centers on the residents of an all-girl boarding house being stalked by a mysterious masked killer cloaked in red. You play as Jillian Rose, the newest resident of the boarding house after the deaths of her parents.

Designed with a heavy focus on the story, the full game is expected to run just over an hour long. Being a young girl, you will rarely have the option to fight back. Survival will depend on quick thinking and awareness of your environment.

[Image: baLUF0M.png]

4/11 Characters Completed So Far

[Image: 6mJNdAz.png]

[Image: gMRhX0t.png]

-Johnathon;
The keeper of the estate, and the institute's receptionist. Has an extremely dry personality,
and although he is an art buff, he speaks with an astonishing lack of passion in his voice.

-Violet Crane;
The head mistress of the institute after the passing of it's founder, Darren Kristy.

-Beth;
One of the youngest at the institute, quiet and reserved. Is a member of Jennifer's occult club. Beth is one of the unfortunate girls who was left with no knowledge of her name or her past. She was given the name Beth.

-Jillian Rose;
The protagonist. Recently lost her parents in a horrific accident, as such has become somewhat introverted. Gets roped into Jennifer's occult club after making friends with her and other members.

-Jennifer Grant;
Has been at the institute the longest out of the central characters. Has a deep passion for the occult, wants
to contact the spirit of the institute's namesake.

-Shay Harvey (Not Pictured);
The same age as Beth, sticks to Jennifer like glue. Unlike Beth, she is very talkative and enthusiastic, she adores Jennifer's geeky love for the occult.

-Regan Calvetti;
The oldest of the group, being fifteen years of age. Bossy, standoffish, she muscled her way into the group, not having any other friends at the institute. Constantly picks on the younger girls, and is very controlling because she thinks its the only way to keep friends.

-Darren Kristy;
The founder of the Scarlatta Institute, passed away in 1928.

-Stella Scarlatta;
The previous owner of the manor, a young singer known locally as The Virgin Siren. Was brutally murdered by an unknown attacker who was never caught.

-Ted Casper (Not Pictured);
A detective employed at the county sheriffs' department. Was at the scene the night Jillian's parents died. He was the one to comfort Jillian, he also knew of the open space at the Scarlatta Institute.

SCREENSHOTS

[Image: 40USMlS.png]

[Image: 1l2fgK3.png]

[Image: NAD146Z.png]

[Image: aM8m7CB.png]

Planning to have an image overlay of a walk cycle, to give the look and feel of a third person over-the-shoulder
experience.

[Image: 3RvSgg0.png]

Scarlet Star is being developed in RPG Maker XP using MGC's "First Person Labyrinth Explorer" script.

I originally started developing Scarlet Star back in 2014 under the title Project THOBA ('The House of Black Ashes) which later became Belfrey and eventually Scarlet Star. Aside from minor tweaks to the story, like the protagonist's name and their reason for being at the institute, the concept has remained the same.
Reply }
A very fascinating story! and the art style is also unique and eye catching! I can't wait to see how this progresses!

Hey, MetalRenard here. I edited your post just to remove the quote of the entire first post. :)
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: 55e3faa432d9efb86b8f19a6f25c0126-dawz35x.png]

new logo for Yesteryear created by Lunarberry!
Reply }
I do enjoy the perspective. Gives that feeling that something will slide down from the ceiling or something. A good horror based game is something to look forward to.
Reply }
You've convinced me. The visuals work, for sure. How far along in development would you estimate yourself to be at this time? Will it be a big game or something you can complete in 30 minutes?
Reply }
(01-14-2018, 10:00 AM)MetalRenard Wrote: You've convinced me. The visuals work, for sure. How far along in development would you estimate yourself to be at this time? Will it be a big game or something you can complete in 30 minutes?

I'm aiming toward just over an hour, the overall story structure will run similar to a film, except you can die hehe XD
I'm hoping the story is well recieved. I'm aiming for a mix of 70s/80s Argento and 50s/60s Hitchcock. 

I do have a larger overall story in mind, but I've made certain that Scarlet Star can stand as it's own self contained story with a satisfying conclusion

Development wise I am still in asset creation. So far I have the main floor of the manor/institute pretty much 100% completed. The story itself is pretty much completed, just fleshing out some details. At the moment, I am the only one actively working on the project. I have a friend lending some assistance, he will be voicing a couple characters including Johnathon.

The only roadblock I have had so far is making animated frames. A lot of the characters don't need to have much animation, but the protagonist is planned to have a large character graphic with an over-the-shoulder viewpoint, so I am currently trying to learn more about poses and how the body moves during a walk cycle.
Reply }
First teaser trailer! Sorry about the low pixel count, my capture software isnt bad, my computer is xD
This trailer represents 4 years worth of story planning and trying to figure out how to get the results I want
out of RPG Maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOGMgHMe...e=youtu.be
Reply }
[Image: gMRhX0t.png]
Reply }
Let's face it, Darkantuan(or is it Darren?), the art style is off the chain!
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
Could you tell us what's the name of the curious font you included in all of the recent screenshots? O.O
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }
(01-28-2018, 04:26 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Let's face it, Darkantuan(or is it Darren?), the art style is off the chain!

Thanks, thats great to hear! xD And yes, the image used for Darren Kristy's portrait is me from the last halloween, I loved it so much I had to incorporate it into my project somehow.

(01-28-2018, 04:36 AM)kyonides Wrote: Could you tell us what's the name of the curious font you included in all of the recent screenshots? O.O

Sure thing! It's 'FHA Condensed FC'
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Project - Fallen Star KDC 6 8,618 09-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Last Post: KDC
   Phantasy Star: Beneath a New Light lyla2284 15 21,026 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Last Post: lyla2284
   STAR WARS: Rise of Nepharian Krynn 1 4,558 05-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Last Post: G.I. Toez