Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
 Armoury - Materials
'Armoury - Materials'
by Angroth

This is the ultimate addition to The Armoury. It contains different materials for all of the arms and armour and it also contains different weapon and armour types. Have fun!

Here’s a general categorisation of weapon attack types:
Daggers: Stab & Slash
Swords: Slash (Two handed swords can crush also)
Axes: Slash & Crush
Polearms: Stab (can have slash such as a scythe)
Ranged: Pierce
Clubs & Staves: Crush

Weapon Materials
  • Wood: Very basic material. Mainly used for training weapons.
  • Tin: A very weak metal. Not really worth using however I thought I'd include it.
  • Aluminium: Similar to tin, also not available in ancient times (couldn't separate it from its ore).
  • Copper: Another weak metal.
  • Bronze: Stronger than the above materials. This metal was used for a long time until...
  • Iron: Widely used metal. Relatively durable material.
  • Steel: Much stronger than iron. Lighter and tougher.
  • Damascus: Hard flexible steel, decorated with wavy markings.
  • Obsidian: A very hard stone. Made mostly of carbon (almost as hard as diamond).
  • Adamant: Another non-metal substance. This stone is defined as 'unbreakable'. A very powerful material.
Other materials could be diamond however seeing as only lasers and diamond can cut diamond, would you really be able to forge a blade from it? Gold and Silver are usually used in fantasy medieval games. Nonetheless the truth is these materials are very weak and can easily bend and brake, 'fools gold' and 'fool silver' are the same but combined with a stronger material such as aluminium or iron. Despite this they are still feeble materials. In Vagrant Story they use Hagane but I do not know of this material nor can I find any information on it. And don't forget you can use bone which would be ultimately cool for a weapon and actually quite practical.

Armour Materials
  • Leather: Basically thick clothing. Not much defence.
  • Wood: Only really used on shields.
  • Tin: Not worth using for a breastplate because it is liable to break.
  • Aluminium: Similar to tin again, it will be easy to destroy.
  • Copper: Better than tin but still very weak.
  • Bronze: An old metal that can provide moderate protection.
  • Iron: Vastly more durable to blows than Bronze.
  • Steel: Even lighter than iron and more durable too!
  • Damascus: Hard flexible steel, decorated with wavy markings. This makes it good for arm and leg armour.
Once again, diamond, silver, gold, adamant and obsidian seem to be useless here. Being stone, adamant and obsidian cannot really be used as armours. Hagane could be used here but I still don't know if it actually exists, it probably does. If your intending to have fantastical armour and enemies you might consider using things such as hides (bear, dragon scales and so on). This would mean that you could have a dragon shield and dragon scale armour. You could even have demon armour. Another definate material would have to be mythril as this is used in all fantasy things. It would be below Damascus in material order (because mythril is better). And don't forget there is also a possibility of bone which would be really cool.

Weapon Types
This is the same weapon types as my article The Armoury. Check the latest version to see actual weapons within these categories.
Swords (one handed)
Greatswords (two handed)
Axes
Great Axes (two handed)
Mace / Clubs
Daggers
Spears / Polearms
Staves
Ranged (bows, crossbows, slings etc)
Flexible (whips, chains etc)

Armour Types
Some of this is from my Armoury article however this isn't too difficult and everyone should know about different bits of armour that cover different bits of the body.
Helmets (head)
Gorgets (neck)
Body Armour (main body)
Shields (body / arm)
Vambraces (arms)
Gauntlets (hands)
Greaves (legs)
Boots (feet)

Are you searching for more of this?
Access the latest armoury here:
Click That Mouse!
If not then I'm ending here anyways. Au revoir!!
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Armoury - Prefixes & Suffixes Angroth 3 5,728 11-02-2009, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Alpha-Mad
   Armoury 3 Angroth 1 4,458 11-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Last Post: computerwizoo7