Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kanji won't display in game
I'm trying to make a game to teach Japanese kanji. Basically, if the player chooses the correct kanji from the spell list, it hurts the monster that matches it. The scripting and whatnot all works, and in the game editing it displays the Japanese characters just fine.

The problem is when I actually load up RMVX and play the game, the Japanese characters don't display properly, it just shows up as an empty square. I think it's displaying the default character for "unknown" text.

Any idea how I can get the game to display Japanese kanji in-game?
Reply }
Is the window's font set to one that actually has the Japanese characters in it?
Reply }
Jaberwocky Wrote:Is the window's font set to one that actually has the Japanese characters in it?

Thanks for pointing that out. Actually, in the editor I can change to Japanese language settings, but when I start the game then Japanese is no longer listed in the Windows language bar. This is starting to look like a Windows problem.
Reply }
I found the solution on another website:
in short: change the Game.ini from "Library=RGSS202E.dll" to "Library=RGSS202J.dll" (without quotes)

in detail:
SPECIFICATION FOR ADDING JAPANESE FONTS for Writers, Implementers, and Designers
Language and Language Scripting Maintenance

* This is for bi-lingual language support for English and Japanese.
* The font to allow Japanese font is Veranda, and will be changed automatically when implemented.
* Spacing has been edited for Japanese characters support, so the game editor is exactly 7 spaces wider then the real in game text will appear. (IE. Make your text 7 spaces shorter then the estimate)
* Game.ini line is change from "Library=RGSS202E.dll" to "Library=RGSS202J.dll" (without quotes)
* Japanese Hiragana "~" should be used for more correct display for tildes.
* One should have the Japanese UME installed on there computer to type Japanese into the program.
Reply }
It's not a Windows problem at all. You don't need to be in Japanese mode or anything. Changing the font in the editor isn't going to do anything either. You just have to change the font for the actual window itself to one that supports Japanese, using something like
self.contents.font.name = "Gulim"
I am using the english RGSS.dll with no problems displaying Japanese text ingame, so long as I set the font for the window to one that supports it.
Changing the .dll version isn't going to do anything to help beyond changing the default font for all windows to one that supports Japanese, which you could do yourself by adding 1 line of code in the 'main' script: Font.default_name = "some font"
Reply }
Jaberwocky Wrote:I am using the english RGSS.dll with no problems displaying Japanese text ingame, so long as I set the font for the window to one that supports it.
Changing the .dll version isn't going to do anything to help beyond changing the default font for all windows to one that supports Japanese, which you could do yourself by adding 1 line of code in the 'main' script: Font.default_name = "some font"

Could you be more specific in how to change the font? I added
Font.default_name = "verdana.TTF"
to the 'main' script, but all it did is make all the text invisible. I also tried with a few other fonts that are in my windows font folder. Do I need to copy the font to some RMVX folder? Is the code even correct?
Reply }
Just type in "Verdana" instead of "verdana.tff" (I think first letter = capital letter)
Reply }
Thanks, everyone! I got it to work by adding this line to the Main script:
Font.default_name = "Gulim"

That's all that was needed!
Reply }
Glad you fixed your problem! I was about to post in here when I saw it was already solved.

Good luck with the game (teaching game?)!
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Help translating in game terms kyonides 2 6,328 09-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kyonides
  How do you change the "Game.exe" ? Xathia Vastar 3 5,258 03-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Xathia Vastar