Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 The Zen of Character Development
The Zen of Character Development
a guide to creating unique, memorable characters

Hello, and welcome to the Zen of Character Development. I'm your host, Dox, and I'll be taking you through a few simple steps that will transform Johnny Nobody into an absolutely memorable character for your game. I'll go through everything from naming convention, to back-story development, to using events to build player 'trust' with the character - to make their actions more important.

i. Naming Conventions

It has been a long-standing question in the World of Game Development (more specifically, RPG development), as to whether or not it is wholly acceptable to use "exotic" names. We've seen their success time and time again, yet we've seen some that fail to make any characters memorable. There's a fairly solid way to go about doing this - choose a name that, for one, has not been popularized by another franchise, Ã la Cloud or Tidus. Also make sure it isn't bland or popular in modern times. No player should go: "Hey! I know a guy named _____, too!" When they first see your characters name pop-up on the screen. Try using a Baby-Name book (or website); I personally like old latin names, they always have a very fantasy 'zing' to them. Also, another bonus with using a Baby-Name book (or website), is that they commonly have "definitions" or "meanings" behind the names. Pick a name that's fresh, meaningful, and that fits the setting of your project.

I'm going to use a name I found for one of my projects. The name, is "Aleron." And it means "Eagle." This would mean that the character exudes strength, and physical beauty, much like an Eagle. It is also generalized as a symbol of Nobility, which is another possible character trait.

For the Surname, I typically use an english-to-latin dictionary (or website), and use a word I feel would accurately describe this characters personality. I thought of "pristine," "shining," or "holy." I picked the surname "Caelestis," meaning "holy" or "of God." So my character's name is Aleron Caelestis.

Another note, is that a character's first name should never be too complex. You don't want to confuse people who want to say his name, or remember it. Don't be afraid to "anglicize" a name, Ã la 'Kalestis', or 'Calest', in this case.

So, what are some more names? Here's a few from my project I generated:

Aleron Caelestis
Clyde Fabron
Pheobe Adelais
Aurelio Caliga

They each have their own meanings, each their own connotations, however their choice of language or style remains consistent. Only use overly-fantastic/exotic names such as Nad'him, unless they have a purpose, and it's generally better to avoid naming your most memorable character something complex.

ii. Interesting Back-Stories

Every person in the world has a story that is at least mildly interesting. We all have our share of hardships, and experiences that transform us into who we are. Of course, if you're going to make a character that is eventually going to be the conqueror of Evil, or the infamous dark-lord, he's going to have to have some semblance of "beginnings" of this character in his back-story, or childhood. Let's use Aleron as an example.

Aleron is heir to the throne, however, he's afraid he won't be able to lead his people well enough, and thusly, runs away from Castle Heartfall with his best friends Clyde and Pheobe.

Hold up! He's heir to the throne, which means his family is rich - he'd have never experienced poverty, likely. This means his existence is very simple, in that he's very undeveloped in terms of solving his problems, as he's not had enough problems to face. Why is he afraid to lead his people? Because he's not strong enough. Why? Because he's lacking in firm decision, confidence and charisma - very strongly "male"-biased qualities. Why would this happen? Let's say, that because it's medieval times, and women of this period lacked these qualities, that many of his role-models would be, indeed, female. This would mean he was likely raised with only sisters (which also means he would be the heir, regardless of his age), and that his father (the King), did not play a large role in his life, likely due to prominent duties at the Castle. It also means that he would have an easier time socializing with females (however a weaker ability to "woo" them, per sé), and that males (especially those exuding the qualities that he lacked) would be intimidating to him.

All of that information, starts weaving an intricate back-story. Aleron's best friend Pheobe, a girl who he's in love with however cannot express himself (fear), and his best friend Clyde (a boy who is strong and with a good sense about him, whom he is extremely jealous of), play very important roles in his development, and bring him to where the game starts, and, more specifically, where he's introduced to the player.

One important thing I want you to note, is that, during the course of the back-story, every small detail I put in there had some effect on his personality, changing him, and that all the events brought him into a certain "frame" that will decide his personality during the course of the game (or until something changes him).

iii. Developmental Contrast

Of all the techniques in character development, by far the most important (that is sadly un-exploited by most projects, and likely the main reason their characters are not memorable), is the art of developmental contrast. A character who's personality stays constant throughout a game is easily forgotten, but one who the player is introduced to as, say, a young boy without confidence, and finishes off with the player's character having strength beyond measure, and being developed into someone that exudes confidence, will make the character more memorable. Of course, just saying "Aleron is now confident!" isn't going to change anything. You have to have certain events that, in a way, break his former mould and bring him to a new level of character. Say, at the start, he runs away - this is his first major decision, and albeit it's the wrong one, he's still made a decision. Next, he might say, lose something valuable (The Theory of Appreciative Comparison, you don't know what you got, 'till it's gone), and realize how much he misses it, humbling him. Then, when he fights to obtain it once more, he gains strength, and when he finally achieves that "thing," his confidence is boosted. Also, it is sometimes nice to have some character descend into evil, as it makes them memorable. However, of course, give a reason and events for this descent, or else it's just a gimmick.

iv. In Conclusion

An RPG game is a heavily story-driven experience. Although slaying monsters and collecting gems and exploring the vast realms of fantasy is fun, in an RPG it usually takes a smaller role to the development of characters, to the development of plot, and to the chaos and order that is, as we know it, the World. By spending time expanding details, by spending time fleshing out a character, you add a depth of realism and interactivity that is not, and can not, be explored in any other game-type. Writing is a broad range of skills, but the development of characters is something that makes a great writer.

Thanks for your time, and I hope you enjoyed reading this.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   The Development of Towns in D&D DerVVulfman 0 2,919 08-17-2018, 04:25 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   The Dos and Don'ts of naming your character Third333Strike 2 5,684 10-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Kristovski
   Getting Good Character Names Angroth 0 3,610 01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Angroth
   Character Design Jacen 0 3,473 12-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Jacen
   Hero Heartbeat - A Tretise on Character+Game Design Kasaron Tyler Gigliello 0 3,469 12-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Kasaron Tyler Gigliello
   Character Transformation Tutorial Hebi Kumo 0 3,691 11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Hebi Kumo