Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Indy made "RM"-like programs?
Hello and good day!

Over the years, I've seen many people attempt their own take on building their own game making devices, usually they're something similar to RPG Maker series but boast that they have better features and whatnot. Regardless of what kind of positive or negative feedback these folks get, I always hope that they'll come up with something awesome but wind up losing track of these kinds of projects.

What happened to many of these projects, did they all become vaporware, has anybody ever completed one of these 'maker' thingies on their own? If you know any sort of projects like this, completed or at least still in development, I would like to hear about them.

Also... XP Ace anyone? To be honest, the main reason I made this topic is because I'm anxiously awaiting EB to one day announce they're making an XP Ace. (By the way, if anybody wants to start their own take on XP Ace, I'm willing to get my hands dirty to help ya haha!)
[Image: Button-BOTB.png]
[Image: Save-Point.gif][Image: Button-You-Tube2.png][Image: Button-Sound-Cloud2.png][Image: Button-Audio-Mack2.png]
[Image: LS-Banner.gif]
NEW ALBUM OUT NOW!

Reply }
They have a great one going on over at chaos-project. That is all I know.
Valdred
Tech Administrator of Save-Point

Reply }
I thought someone here said they were going to work on an XP Ace... I could be wrong though
Quotes
Reply }
XP Ace? Sounds awesome. Unfortunately I can't script, but I really would like to support this project. We could make this a Savepoint Project!
[Image: 76561198077561206.png]
Reply }
I did know of Project Arc over at chaos forums, but I recall somebody saying that they're going to charge $400 for a commercial license and that the contributors wouldn't be getting anything from that, is this true? I do think the whole concept of the project is outstanding, but that licensing issue I hope was misinterpreted! Either way, I guess it doesn't hurt to at least watch it and see where it goes.

Wait, who said they were starting an "XP Ace"-like project, Enterbrain? A forum user? It could probably make for a neat community project, I'm willing to assist with it as a learning experience. Actually, there are a quite a few ideas I've had in my head for such a thing, but as far as being project lead... it would have to be somebody who knows more about this stuff than I do haha!

^All of that should be discussed in a different topic though, but it is something to consider, I'm still interested in hearing whats completed and what is currently in development, so if you know of other projects feel free to link them. Also, is anybody here already working on something and not telling us? I'm interested in that too, feel free to post it :D
[Image: Button-BOTB.png]
[Image: Save-Point.gif][Image: Button-You-Tube2.png][Image: Button-Sound-Cloud2.png][Image: Button-Audio-Mack2.png]
[Image: LS-Banner.gif]
NEW ALBUM OUT NOW!

Reply }
Quote:$400 for a commercial license and that the contributors wouldn't be getting anything from that, is this true?

Yes true, hence why I took all my stuff and got out.
Reply }
Easy-RPG is one such project- Open Source under GPL, so it is possible if you wanted to take this and work off of that base.

https://easy-rpg.org/blog/
[Image: TohsakaDono.png]
Reply }
There is a 3D one which has been posted in several forums called Maker3D and though I believe it's still in development it costs 8 EURO.
http://maker3d.tk/

Enigma Engine seemed like a good one but as others I'm not sure of it's current condition
http://www.rpgrevolution.com/forums/inde...opic=43448

Yeah I've seen many a Maker start with lots of potential because it's been a realistic outlook, then the additions start coming in and then the planned features, basically it becomes like an RM Game, easy to type and think of the ideas - another thing being able to and have the time to create it. Like looking at that easy-rpg I see a basic RPG Maker XP.

Personally if anyone is thinking about creating an engine then in my opinion don't base it off another, that'll be where the traps would be set that others have fallen into.
[Image: logonew.gif]
Reply }
3D uses a LOT of processor/RAM. Unless you have a beast of a computer (i7 processor, 16gigs RAM), stay away from 3D animating and inefficient 3D animation programs.
Reply }
Yeah that doesn't help either. Haha
But that software is very badly made anyway. For such simple graphics it's very laggy.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   A body made in code BeJeremiah 9 10,540 06-06-2015, 01:17 AM
Last Post: BeJeremiah