Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MetalRenard starts doodling...
So I decided to start drawing because I think I'd be a much more useful person if I learnt another apsect of game design, so drawing is what I decided to do since I think I have a slight affinity with it already.

I followed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auh6XIB9q6k
to make this: [Image: 100220131101.jpg]

Of course it's not original. I want any feedback or tips you can give me since I'm a complete beginner at this. ^_^"

P.S. I'm aware the eye on the right is too high. :)
Reply }
If you want to start drawing, then let me give you this tip: don't start with following videos like this, that will come later =)
By following these tutorials you won't develop a "feel" on how to draw certain things, because you will focus to much on the copy aspect itself. A much more usefull thing would be a diffrent copy technice, because that one actually will help you to understand how things work: take a preferably black and white lineart, put a piece of thin white paper or semi transparent sandwich paper on top of it and trace the lines. Make sure you draw the thin lines actually thin and the thick ones thick. If you do this enough -possibly with two or three diffrent artstyles- you will develop a subconcious knowledge why the creator of the original drawing decided to place every line where s/he did. It will take some time, but it is worth it. Because once you have earned and secured that knowledge, it is much easier to follow things like this drawing tutorial video. It is more naturall to understand how the process works and will then be better practice =)
Once you feel fully confortable with the copy process - and only then! - start to practice properly, with helplines and everything. While it is certainly possible to draw without ever using them: profecionall artists use them for a reason. And they will once again be a great help in the learning progress.
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one." (C.S. Lewis)
For the time you're laughing, there's nothing wrong in the world. (Colin Mochrie)

If it's funny, make sure people laugh. If it's not funny, make it funny (unless it's actually really serious). (silvercheers)

Please don't spell my name "Yamina-chan". It's all small. Thank you =D
Reply }
I really appreciate the advice. ^^
Thing is, that would drive me mad, I love freedom and I learnt music by completely breaking the mould. I don't ever want to feel like I'm "studying" and tracing drawings would make me feel that way. I'd rather make mistakes and learn slower even. Haha
Reply }
By all means, make mistakes! =D They are such a great way to improve further down the line.
All I am saying is that if you start by following these drawing tutorials you won't develop the understanding of "why" something works or doesn't work. Definately do it at some point, but don't start with it. It is like building the floor of a house and trying to fill in the foundation afterwards. Maybe it will look like it has worked after you're done but it is not going to hold anything that you'll try to place on top of it. So don't use that as your method of learning if you're thinking about dooing this for more then a week.

If you don't want tracing lines, I suggest you go look at refference drawings of this nature:
http://dragonghosthalfa.deviantart.com/a...-117025842
http://scilentor.deviantart.com/art/Fema...-161791494
http://mermaidundersea.deviantart.com/ar...n-48857304
http://moni158.deviantart.com/art/Drawin...-182278160
http://moni158.deviantart.com/art/Feet-d...-183732637
(I can't remember what the english word for them is at the moment, sorry XD')

I wouldn't really reccomend to start with these, actually, seeing as they will not only teach you a lot but also require just a slight basic understanding, but the value of knowledge to be gained is not to be overlooked. Maybe a combination of these with the copy thing you've been using above would work.
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You, too? Thought I was the only one." (C.S. Lewis)
For the time you're laughing, there's nothing wrong in the world. (Colin Mochrie)

If it's funny, make sure people laugh. If it's not funny, make it funny (unless it's actually really serious). (silvercheers)

Reply }
Ah now THOSE are interesting, thanks!!! I already know the basic theories of drawing I think, like body movement, proportions, perspective, creating guidelines, I've just never practised them. I'm a bit odd in that I like to research a lot into something before starting to do it so that when I start, I hit the ground running. I guess it's my insecure side. ^^
Reply }
I have to say, I think that sketch is quite well done. My only question was what tool you used to draw it.
Reply }
Thanks!
The thing about tools... A joke? 'Cause I used a pencil and paper then took a photo... lol

I spent 3 hours today learning about hand drawing techniques, shapes and perspectives. SO MUCH FUN! (not ironic, I enjoyed every moment).
Reply }
By the way: I would highly reccomend the "How to Draw Dragonball Z" book to you, as well as the drawing guide by Akira Toriyama.
Regardless if you like the art or not, those are some of the best guidebooks out there. Especially since they do not force a certain style on you but instead provide you with basically all the knowledge, tips and information you need to learn on how to draw.
I have actually not checked if they were printed in english, but I would assume so.
Of course there are also the famous "How to draw Manga" books. I'd reccomend them as well, but those are quite expencive and there are many. And they prety much all focus on a single aspect or two, so it might be better to stay away from them untill you can freely draw your own drawings and want to impove on those certain aspects only.

Reply }
learning from mark crilley are we? hes such a good artist.
Reply }
Yes, he is. :3
I've been watching his videos for well over a year.

yamina-chan: Thanks for yet another tip. You're wonderfully helpful. ^^
Reply }