Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
 Phantasy Star: Beneath a New Light
[Image: Texto.png]/center]

[align=center]It's time I started posting some information about my first (and most ambitious) fan-game made with RPGMaker XP. It's called Phantasy Star IV:Beneath a New Light, and is a parallel game to the original Phantasy Star 4 that was released on the Sega Genesis back in 1994. It is set in the Algo solar system which consists of three planets: Motavia, the desert planet, Dezolis, the ice planet, and Parma, a planet very similar to Earth, in the year AW 2284 (AD 4370-- AW 0 = AD 2086.)

STORY:

'The Algo solar system...somewhere in space.
Once, a brilliant civilisation flourished here.
The citizens devoted themselves to the art and
sciences, and life was prosperous and good.
Then a series of disasters struck.
The system-wide control system,Mother Brain,
was destroyed.
So was the first planet, Parma.
Over 90% of the systems population died,
and the advanced technological culture was lost.
Society declined, spiralling downwards until only at
last a few groups could remember there were better
times.
1000 years passed.
At last, civilization is once more on the rise across the Algo solar
system.
People are once again turning to thoughts of an easier life.
Old knowledge is being rediscovered.
But just as things look brighter, beyond the threshold long
thought closed, a dark and very ancient evil stirs...'

Opening sequence of PSIV: BaNL. Extract taken from the original
1994 release.

[Image: Cosmic_Belt,_Sci-Fi.jpg]
An image that shows during the intro sequence.

Now, moving to the present day.
A mysterious outbreak of unusually powerful bio-monsters has prompted the Dean of Motavia Academy to summon a professional female Hunter by the name of Alys Brangwin, along with her partner,Chaz Ashley, to exterminate a group of
monsters that have appeared in the basement of the Academy. All very simple, one might think. But the Dean's overall unease about the whole situation arouses suspicion in Alys and her partner. According to Alys, monsters usually don't come into inhabited areas. So where did they come from?

I can't reveal any further information for fear of ruining the plot. :)

[Image: cutscene%201c.png]
Major cutscenes in the game are shown via movie-like stills. I drew the images myself. :)

CHARACTERS:
There are a total of 7 playable characters in the new demo.

Content Hidden

FEATURES:

Content Hidden

Finally, for some screenshots. :)

SCREENSHOTS:

Content Hidden

Credits:

Content Hidden

Download removed. Will upload the new demo late June - early July.
Trying to redefine the term \'fan-game\'.
Reply }
first, I didn't play any phantasy star except fantasy star portable for psp. The story sounds quite interesting and the screens are very nice, I hope there is a demo out soon^^
but what is that light spot on the second screenshot?
Reply }
I forgot to mention that there are no random encounters on the overworld maps, and those red dots represent wandering enemies. ^^ There is actually a demo avaliable, but there are numerous graphical glitches that I'm busy sorting out. Let me tell you one thing... the earlier Phantasy Star storylines were better than the early Final Fantasies. ^^ And this fan game is based off the last entry in a classic series that ran from 1987-1993.
It's also the longest running RPG set in a single universe and is as old as the FF games at 22 years ( my age. ^^)

Believe me, you'll fall in love with Alys. She is awesome! It's not everyday you come across an adult female as a main character. I'm trying to break the horrors of cliches.
Reply }
nice, i liked phantasy star, i'll play your demo when its out ;)
Reply }
Just a quick screencap update:
Content Hidden
Reply }
Your drawing is great, your titlescreen too. :D
Reply }
Thank you for the comment. I worked very hard on those drawings. And that's the old title screen you're looking at. The new one uses Mog's script to animate it. Cheery

Here's the new one.
[Image: title%20screen.PNG]
I prefer this one, it's more visually arresting. ^^
Reply }
Agreed.
Reply }
Sorry for the long delay in updates, but I am proud to present that there is finally a demo avaliable! :D Check the first post for download details. Cheery
Reply }
Looks visually interesting, but it sounds like it's more of a fan re-enactment from the looks of your first post.

There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and the cutscene shown above bears a striking similarity to the original. :P

It'll be interesting to see your take on the story, it'll also be nice to bring this game to a modern audience that perhaps never saw it the first time around.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Project - Fallen Star KDC 6 8,681 09-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Last Post: KDC
   Scarlet Star Darkantuan 10 13,866 02-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Last Post: Darkantuan
   STAR WARS: Rise of Nepharian Krynn 1 4,607 05-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Last Post: G.I. Toez