Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Legends of Astravia
Photo 
[Image: 169_NewArt.png]
Dive into Astravia, a world torn by magic and brimming with bold quests,
engaging battles, and compelling secrets.

[Image: Synopsis.png]
Legends of Astravia is a story-driven role-playing game built on engaging battles and fulfilling exploration.
It takes its inspiration from Japanese-style RPGs like Golden Sun, Chrono Trigger, and Grandia.

The game starts off in Mordin, bordered by swamps and forests on the western edge of Astravia.
You play as Oliver, discovered unconscious by a mysterious magic user--known in the world of Astravia as mysticians--named Azel.

He considers you a suspect behind the breach of a local magic sanctuary, but offers you the opportunity to prove yourself innocent as you journey there together,
taking care to avoid the ruthless knights that stalk the woods…

[Image: Features.png]
Engaging, character-driven storyline that will keep you attached until the end.

Entirely custom “Action Time Battle” system--with a completely unique twist.

Plenty of monsters, but no random encounters! You choose your own battles.

8-direction pixel movement that makes moving and exploring feel great.

Multiple party members with individual combat styles, stories, and secrets.

Various dungeons, caves, and towns to explore with unique puzzles and characters.

Many side-quests with special rewards.

Crafting / enchantment system for weapons, equipment, and items.

[Image: Screenshots.png]

[Image: Cutscene_3.jpg]

[Image: Cutscene_1.jpg]

[Image: Battle_2.jpg]

[Image: Menu_2.jpg]

[Image: Map_1.jpg]

[Image: Battle_1.jpg]

[Image: Cutscene_4.jpg]

[Image: Story.png]
Centuries ago, before calm villages and thriving cities,
we were fated to perish at the brink of an inevitable apocalypse.

The ground quaked with terror as the day of reckoning
manifested--the air burned with the sick certainty of death…

…and we begged to the Gods that our world would not be taken from us.

It was then that two figures appeared, casting their shadows across the horizon
and blotting out the sun. In awe of their presence, the ground went still
and the fires went silent--order returning to Astravia once more.

Hailed as legends from those who survived the Cataclysm, the First Shadow
was generous and powerful, but the Second Shadow was neither.
The two performed miracles said to be as dangerous as the
Cataclysm itself, digging seas with the wave of their hands,
shaping mountains with their shouts, and growing forests with only a whisper.

Perhaps their greatest feat, however, was their ability to
take the form of whatever they pleased.

And when the two Shadows grew tired of admiration,
they took the forms of mortals and vanished into myth.

The remnants of their power…the
Essence of their divinity, is all that remains to us.

[Image: Download.png]
Currently, there is no download available. Stay tuned for v3.0!

FULL GAME CREDITS
You can also follow me on Twitter or join the official Discord server for updates and occasional easter eggs and progress images I don't post anywhere else.

Want to contact me privately? You can PM here, but I may not see it. Feel free to message me on Discord (Jaiden#5195), or email me directly.
Hey all! I've been working on this game pretty consistently since I first posted the thread here in 2017, but I don't post updates much. So here's a devlog, originally posted on Itch.io:
Itch.

New Battle Sprites + System Improvements
In the last devlog, I talked about the various changes I was making to the ATB's design. Now, 4 months later, that design has been refined and pulled together with a new interface--and new sprites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btNbw1hpOkA

Visually, a lot has changed, but here's a breakdown improvements made:
  • Battler sprites - Perhaps the most apparent change are the new character sprites, thanks to the accomplished pixel artist Burt. This has always been a goal for Legends of Astravia, but finally seeing it come to fruition is an immense joy. The limited movements are inspired by Golden Sun, and the mantra, less is more. The enemy sprites remain the same, but hopeflistly if the game gets the funding it needs, a revamp of these will be an option as well.
  • Framing - The ATB bar was anchored to the top of the screen and the dark fade at the bottom became a hard black border. The black bars frame the center of the battlefield so the player can really focus on the action when it's happening. The help window, which used to randomly pop up in the center of the screen, is now tucked in the top-left corner.
  • Command wheel - The ring menu, which displayed on the battlefield, was hard to follow and didn't animate as nicely. Now it's next to the active character at the bottom of the screen, which was drawing the focus due to the opening window regardless.
  • Additional zoom - 2x zoom has been increased to a whopping 3x, making the distance between characters smaller. This helps prevent the eyes from jumping around the screen. The battle camera does have the capacity to zoom out, which may be useflist for some later bosses or large mobs...
  • New ATB icons - Some hand-drawn character sprites were added to be more consistent with the busts at the bottom of the screen.
  • Camera follow / easing - The camera will follow characters as they move around the screen. This effect so far seems to work, though an option will likely be added to help prevent motion sickness in those susceptible.
  • Battle cursor - The original cursor, which was a barely-visible fixed arrow and a slightly blinking gem, has been upgraded to a flistly animated one that slides to different targets. The old code was significantly optimized in the process as well.

Still, some areas need improvement. The animation timing is still clunky, and some actions are simply too fast. This is something I hope to improve before the demo.

Also, Azel has received a pretty cut-in graphic similar to Oliver's, which was posted in the last devlog. Just like the last, the lineart was commissioned by the talented Ryuuen.

Cutscene Preview - Introduction
During this time, the story and dialogue has received some significant improvements. The story is nearly flistly outlined at this point, and the opening area of the game was completely restructured to fit the new narrative. Still, with all the updates posted, the story is rarely touched on.

Here is a video of the first exchange in the game, between Oliver and Azel:

Video

The sprites here are due for a makeover as well, in time. The text noise can be toggled, but the sound itself may need to be modified before the demo release.

Additional "Under the Hood" Changes
I'm consistently tweaking, and tweaking, and tweaking... Here's a list of some other things that were done:
  • Most of Mordin's maps were compacted to help adjust for pixel movement and overall quality.
  • The dungeon's puzzles have been arranged in a sensible way, allowing for a ramp up in difficlistty.
  • Pixel movement continues to be improved on. Event collision is still not the best, but it's better.
  • Various bugfixes were made to the battle system in addition to the improvements listed above.
  • UX improvements to some of the menus.

Next Steps
While we're still quite a ways out from a public demo, beta testing will be essential in polishing the game up beforehand. If you are interested in helping test an unrefined version of the game when it becomes available, be sure to join the Discord server.

I have some outstanding colleagues that I have commissioned for some of Legend of Astravia's art, music and writing, but ultimately I am still a solo developer. And, because this project is not my full-time job, progress will continue to be delayed at times. The current goal for the kickstarter is September of this year, and the public demo a little bit before.
Once I took a look at one of the protagonists, I thought "Hey! What's Setzer doing there?" Laughing
I know, this game has nothing to do with Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the USA) but that was the first think that crossed my mind. (I really loved that game.) By the way, I think that one of the older engines, one that didn't offer any scripting at all, had a slightly similar character that I always picked for the reason I mentioned above. Laughing You know, Enterbrainless engines always sport lead characters that are total blockheads, Aluxes being the worst of them indeed! Laughing + Tongue sticking out
Thanks for posting this info! Two Thumbs Up!

P.S.

BoisterousHero Wrote:He considers you a suspect behind the breach of a local magic sanctuary, but offers you the opportunity to prove yourself innocent as you journey there together,
taking care to avoid the ruthless knights that stalk the woods…
Thinking That sounds to me as if that mystic just needed an idiot that would agree to work for free... Laughing
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 2 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX
(05-07-2020, 11:00 PM)kyonides Wrote: Once I took a look at one of the protagonists, I thought "Hey! What's Setzer doing there?" Laughing
I know, this game has nothing to do with Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the USA) but that was the first think that crossed my mind. (I really loved that game.)

Hey this is a huge complement, thanks so much! Glad you like it, I'm excited to share more--and hopefully a demo, soon. :)
Wow, Really love how you presented this. Probably better than how I did mine. It looks super good Two Thumbs Up!
~Love Without Boundaries~
[Image: SP1-Designer.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Legends of the Flaming Falcons Pherione 22 21,847 08-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Pherione
   Legends of Loria (V A.04) Kristovski 4 4,382 02-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Roach
   Legends of Loria (V .03) Kristovski 8 7,328 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Kristovski