Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Legionwood - 12+ hour long J-RPG
[Image: legionwoodbanner.png]

Game Overview
Legionwood is a console style RPG made using RPG Maker VX. Legionwood is my attempt at creating a nostaligic and familiar RPG experience reminiscent of the classics of the early 90's such as Breath Of Fire and Crono Trigger.
Legionwood features a massive world filled with adventures and side quests, and is expected to contain over 20 hours of gameplay and five story driven chapters.
While it isn't revolutionary and contains gameplay that is for the most part bog standard RPG fare, Legionwood is designed to be that way; familiar and fun for RPG fans looking for a casual game to play.

Storyline
The world of Legionwood. Once upon a time, it was prosperous and full of technological
wonders. About three thousand years ago, a mysterious phenomena demolished most of
mankind's cities, and as a species, they had to start again. This much, archaeologists and
scholars know from the ancient ruins of technological cities and fortresses dotted throughout
the most barren parts of Legionwood's surface.
After at least two millennia had passed, mankind had begun to re-establish itself as the
planet's dominant species. Major inventions were being rediscovered, and technological
development had finally reached a medieval period. It was at this time when everything began
to go wrong. Legionwood has always had war, but suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere began
a furious and unpredictable world war that raged for years and devastated cities and nations
worldwide. This terrible conflict, known as the Great War, ended as suddenly as it began, with
no mention of its cause or conclusion to the public, and mankind began to pick up the pieces.
Now, one thousand years have passed since the Great War came to an end. Since that
terrible time, makeshift peace treaties have ensured there have been only minor conflicts over
the last centuries, but once again technology is on the rise, and half truths and legends about
the Great War and its origins are prevalent in popular culture.
Each country, empire and kingdom fears its neighbours, and only reluctantly are peace ties
held in place. In a last ditched effort to try and maintain some sort of peace between the rival
kingdoms of Charn and Trevelle, the king of Charn has decided to hold a celebration and
festival to honor his new daughter's birth. Everybody in attendance is expecting a good time,
but a key figure linked to Legionwood's dark past of conflict and death has been biding his
time, and has decided that now is the perfect time to stage a new Great War and political
upheaval.

Completion Status
The latest version of the game is version 3.21, which contains the first three chapters and approximately 10 hours of gameplay.
This version is not compatible with save games made with the previous version (3.1), due to the new version of Tankentai's battle system which has been implemented.

Game Features
- A character driven story full of twists, turns and red herrings, and an intended gameplay time of
around 20 hours.

- 6 playable characters, each one with a distinct personality, which you can mold into your own
custom character classes to suit your combat style.

- Turn based combat with an emphasis on tough opponents and using skills, rather than
mashing "attack" over and over. Think, don't button mash!

- A custom soundtrack, composed entirely of non comercial game music, some exclusive
to Legionwood.

- Collect, raise and summon 6 elemental spirits to aid you in battle! Summon level up, learn skills
and fight just like your party members!

- Innovative Ability Point system by KGC allows you to choose which bonuses you gain in level ups,
so you're free to decide which role your characters fill in your battle plan.

Screenshots

[Image: legionwood5.png]

[Image: legionwood3.png]

[Image: legionwood2.png]

[Image: legionwood4.png]

[Image: legionwood1.png]

Download

You can download this game by selecting it from the index on this page and clicking "download now."

http://rpgmaker.net/users/DarkGaia/
Reply }
Update:

I've uploaded a small 2MB patch which will fix the following things in Legionwood 3.12:

- You can no longer get stuck landing your ship at Charn Port.
- You can now complete Demonhold Keep.
- Learning Dual Wielding no longer gives you wierd, rare weapons you shouldn't have.
- Kills the bug that adds Thyrra to your party in Selatan Plains...

This patch is essential if you wish to complete the game. I have submitted it to RMN so expect it to be available within twelve hours. It is very easy to apply and fixes all of this version's problems.
Reply }
Hello! I noticed you haven't gotten any replies on your thread yet and thought I'd give you some feedback.

I'm waiting to download your demo since you mentioned that there's a game-breaking bug in there right now. Do give a shout-out in your thread once it's up. But this is something that you can avoid by having a beta-tester or two. As a game creator, you know all the tips and tricks, so you might not think about what the average player might do. An extra pair of eyes can help a lot.

Now, onto the story ...

What is this mysterious phenomenon? (By the way, phenomena is plural; phenomenon is singular) I understand what you're trying to say by it, but because you called it "mysterious", I expected you to somehow explain it in the following sentence. Since you didn't, I figured that it had to be an important part of the plot later on, but you never referred to it again. Is there a point to drawing attention to it, or did you just want to say that there was a disaster and mankind had to rebuild the entire society? You're drawing attention to this mysterious event, so make sure it has an appropriate place in the plot.

2000 years is a very long time for man to just start rediscovering technology and to be at a medieval level. Given the mankind's current intellectual capacity and growth, it wouldn't take that long to start rebuilding. You could possibly explain it if the disaster made the survivors into technophobes, but you make no mention of this. Is there a reason why it took people so long to start rebuilding society? Were the only survivors kids who pretty much went feral and forgot about society and manners?

A war that no one knows nothing about is pretty weird. People aren't machines, they question and they need a motive. Instead, perhaps people couldn't agree what exactly they were fighting for - which could be the case with propaganda. But no one will pick up weapons and put themselves at risk if there's nothing to fight for. And a war wouldn't end unless there was some kind of closure. So, again, the closure could be something not everyone agrees upon, but there needs to be something that stopped the war. Did both sides say "we won, let's stop fighting"? Did both sides call truce? Was there some natural disaster that made people forget about fighting? It would take something pretty big to stop a raging war in its tracks.

The last sentence is enough to throw some intrigue. I'm curious to see who this key figure is and what he's planning.

-
Your features and screenshots look alright. In my opinion, it's pretty hard to do VX RTP, but I can't say I see any horrible mistakes in your maps. I have to admit I expected graphics that are a little less cartoony, given your political theme. For some reason, cute munchkin RTP and a great war just don't mash so well.

I also hope that you'll be making full use of the RTP panorama capabilities to make more unique locations. VX mapping can be counter-intuitive at times. To give variety to areas, you should think about constructing some maps in programs like Photoshop or Gimp and using them as panoramas.
-
I'll be sure to give you more feedback once I play your demo. Good luck with everything!
Reply }
Well, it's up now. The game breaker didn't appear until about 10 hours in, but still...

All of your story questions will be answered in the game. Yes, the "mysterious phenomena" is not elaborated upon because it is a major story cornerstone. Also, the reason it took 2000 years to rebuild to a medieval level was because the catastrophe was so immense that all traces of technology were wiped out, any remaining ones were forsaken by the people and only about 10% of the world population survived. Considering it took us 100,000 years to reach the iron age from when we first evolved I actually though 2000 years to be too short a time.
There's a reason nobody knows anything about the war. No records exist from that era in the present day. Somebody covered it up.
I didn't explain all this in that summary though as it is just a summary and it is explained in more depth in game.

Thanks for your interest.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Legionwood 2: Rise of the Eternal's Realm Dark Gaia 0 3,803 04-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Dark Gaia