Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 OtherLayers
OtherLayers
XP + VX + ACE

by Kyonides

Introduction

This script allows you to use a static picture or a series of pictures as a custom upper layer for the current map.

I am sure there gotta be other scripts that provide similar features and you know what?
I don't care about that! Tongue sticking out

Embedded Notes for XP & VX

First of all, both engines have no Map Note Boxes so you must use the Map's Name as a substitute.

Code:
# This script lets you add another layer where you can place images that can
# be either static or animated.

# Create a directory called Layers inside the Graphics folder.
# Thereafter you can add as many images as deemed necessary.

# Examples: fall_1.png, fall_2.png, fall_3.png

# The state of a specific Game Switch will determine whether or not a given
# layer is visible at that moment.

# - Set a Map's Total Number of Upper Layers
# - Pattern: <LUMn> - Example: <LUM2>

# - Predefine an Upper Layer
#   - It must follow one of these patterns:
#   The n's there stand for LayerID, No. Pictures, Frames and SwitchID (if any)
# <LUn filename n n>
# <LUn filename n n Sn>
# - Examples Using the fall_ image files:
# <LU1 fall 3 20>
# <LU2 fall 3 20 S10>

Embedded Notes for VX ACE

Code:
# Create a directory called Layers inside the Graphics folder.
# Thereafter you can add as many images as deemed necessary.

# Examples: fall_1.png, fall_2.png, fall_3.png

# The state of a specific Game Switch will determine whether or not a given
# layer is visible at that moment.

# - Set a Map's Total Number of Upper Layers - Pattern: <layers n>
# - Example: <layers 2>

# - Predefine an Upper Layer
#   - It must follow one of these patterns:
# <layer up n filename pix n frames n>
# <layer up n filename pix n frames n switch n>
# - Examples Using the fall_ image files:
# <layer up 1 fall pix 3 frames 20>
# <layer up 2 fall pix 3 frames 20 switch 10>

If you ever need to change the map's default upper layer, you can use any of the following...

Optional Script Calls Available For ALL Engines

Code:
# - Change the Map's Upper Layer - It will replace any previous one!
upper_layer(Number).name = "BaseFileName"

# - Change the Upper Layer's Number of Pictures - if Animated
upper_layer(Number).total = TotalPictures

# - Change the Upper Layer's Timer (in Frames)
upper_layer(Number).timer = Frames

# - Change the Upper Layer's Switch ID
upper_layer(Number).switch_id = SwitchID

# - Change the Upper Layer's Data With a Single Call
upper_layer(Number).set_data(TotalPictures, Frames, SwitchID)

# - Freeze or Thaw the Upper Layer
# upper_layer(Number).freeze!
# upper_layer(Number).thaw!

# - Check whether or not the Upper Layer is Frozen
# upper_layer(Number).frozen?

Screenshots
3 Snapshots

Terms & Conditions

Free for use in non commercial games.
Due credit is mandatory.
Do not repost it anywhere!
That's it!

Attached Files
.jpg   otherlayersace01.jpg (Size: 59.31 KB / Downloads: 34)
.jpg   otherlayersvx01.jpg (Size: 64.12 KB / Downloads: 8)
.jpg   otherlayersxp01.jpg (Size: 104.99 KB / Downloads: 8)
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }
Layers & More Layers!

Starting today, you can add several upper layers to a specific map! Grinning
The initial release only let you add a single upper layer but this has changed in the latest installment of my script.

Set a Map's Total Number of Upper Layers
Pattern: <layers n>
Code:
<layers 2>

I have updated the previous posts accordingly.
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }
Changes and Improvements Now Available!

In the latest edition of my script I have modified the way the map spriteset would look for any given layer note to make sure it would not skip any layer at all.
Now it's also possible to freeze and thaw the only waterfall that has ever existed in the demo! Grinning

Freeze or Thaw the Upper Layer
Code:
upper_layer(1).freeze!
upper_layer(1).thaw!

Check whether or not the Upper Layer is Frozen
Code:
upper_layer(1).frozen?

Maranatha!

HiddenChest & Roole

Reply }
Maintenance Update
Version 0.6.1 Released!

Important Bug Fix: I forgot to update an internal call to a method after a name change. I simply replaced it with the actual contents of that method for simplicity's sake.

I'm sorry for the small inconvenience this might have caused your virtual Dog Cat pet actors to endure during the playtesting of the demo. Tongue sticking out

Maranatha!

HiddenChest & Roole

Reply }
A Couple of New Ports Have Arrived!

From now on, all of the features already available on RMVX ACE are also included in its RMXP and RMVX counterparts! Two Thumbs Up!

They all share the same Optional Script Calls! Grinning

Yet, the way XP and VX define their layers differ a lot from VX ACE's. Confused
And yes, there is a mysterious woman with some strange abilities at the shores of Fork Island. Happy with a sweat

Maranatha!

HiddenChest & Roole

Reply }
Interesting Update
Valid for All RGSS-based Engines!

Now that version 0.7.0 has been released, you can also count on lower layers to further modify the appearance of your maps. This is why you can now use the lower_layer(SomeNumber) call in the script box at any given time. Just make sure you have read the embedded instructions on how to configure them.

Maranatha!

HiddenChest & Roole

Reply }