Save-Point
Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Code Support (https://www.save-point.org/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System (/thread-251.html)

Pages: 1 2

Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - TheOnlyArman - 05-09-2010

First off, let it be known that I am not all that keen with scripting.. I'm more of an event-minded individual, and I never could wrap my head around scripting.
the Ammunition system that I'm trying to use is here:
http://rmvxp.com/showthread.php?tid=518

The segment of code in question is below.
Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Applying Normal Attack Effects
  #     attacker : battler
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  alias ammo_attack attack_effect
  def attack_effect(attacker)
    if attacker.ammo_used_bool != true
      ammo_attack(attacker)
    else
      full_attack(attacker)
    end  
  end

I keep getting
"Script Ammo System" Line 402: Name Error Occured
undefined method 'attack_effect' for class 'Game_Battler'

In the above Code tags are code lines 398-409, which is the entire "section" in regards to Line 402.

Any idea as to why this isn't working?
Cheers!

[Resolved] Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - DerVVulfman - 05-10-2010

That would be a very good question.

This system aliases (or attaches code to) the attack_effect method. This is default method within the Game_Battler class that comes with RPGMaker XP. This error is very confusing since it should only happen if you don't have an 'attack_effect' method... like it was erased or something.

[Resolved] Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - TheOnlyArman - 05-10-2010

DerVVulfman Wrote:That would be a very good question.

This system aliases (or attaches code to) the attack_effect method. This is default method within the Game_Battler class that comes with RPGMaker XP. This error is very confusing since it should only happen if you don't have an 'attack_effect' method... like it was erased or something.

Simply put, this system is not only essential for my game, but it's also beautifully well-organized. The demo showed me exactly what I'll need for my game.

How would you say that I should go about fixing this? If anyone can help, it'd surely be you! =]

EDIT:Would it matter where I place this code inside the Scripts database? As in, above a certain entry or below a certain entry?

EDITx2: I moved the entry of this script (which I titled "Ammo_System") one space BELOW "Main", and it seems to be working so far. Bizarre.. I'll update this is it further decides to die on me =]

[Resolved] Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - DerVVulfman - 05-15-2010

Wait. Below main? That should just disable the ammo system altogether. But it should be above main and below Scene_Debug. That's a standard practice. I don't know where you had it before, but the Game_blah blah blah maps should load first. If you had it above these (especially Game_Battler)... it wouldn't work.

[Resolved] Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - TheOnlyArman - 05-15-2010

DerVVulfman Wrote:Wait. Below main? That should just disable the ammo system altogether. But it should be above main and below Scene_Debug. That's a standard practice. I don't know where you had it before, but the Game_blah blah blah maps should load first. If you had it above these (especially Game_Battler)... it wouldn't work.

I put it above Main and I get the same error again.
One slot below main, and the game runs and the battles can be played, but the system is inactive.

Any clues or ideas as to how to fix this? Because it's.. er.. An enormous problem.

[Resolved] Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - DerVVulfman - 05-15-2010

Not without seeing a demo.

I mean, since your message reads that 'attack_effect ' is an undefined method, that would mean you're missing that method altogether and that's a default script method in Game_Battler. It should be there.

[Resolved] Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - TheOnlyArman - 05-15-2010

DerVVulfman Wrote:Not without seeing a demo.

I mean, since your message reads that 'attack_effect ' is an undefined method, that would mean you're missing that method altogether and that's a default script method in Game_Battler. It should be there.

If you PM me an email, I can email you the demo if you'd like.

Upload the demo and PM me the download link. Erm... I have dialup (for real) so sending an eMail as an attachment totally sucks for me.

DerVVulfman Wrote:Upload the demo and PM me the download link. Erm... I have dialup (for real) so sending an eMail as an attachment totally sucks for me.

http://www.filedropper.com/crossroads is the link.
Cheers!

[Resolved] Help With Taryn's Weapon Ammunition System - DerVVulfman - 05-16-2010

Quote:# The RTAB_CONNECTED value is a switch that informs the script whether or not
# the RTAB script (Connected Attacking) is in use. While RTAB itself is auto
# detected, Connected Attacking is not and this switch is a necessary evil.

The demo sports the RTAB battlesystem and thus required a switch with a true/false setting. Set RTAB_CONNECTED in the script to 'false' and your problem is solved.