Save-Point
RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - Printable Version

+- Save-Point (https://www.save-point.org)
+-- Forum: Games Development (https://www.save-point.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development Discussion (https://www.save-point.org/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) (/thread-4398.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - Kain Nobel - 10-15-2012

Hello and good day!

I just checked my E-Mail and stumbled upon this...

[Image: rpgmakervxacelitefree.png]

I don't know how long RPG Maker VX Ace Lite is going to be free (maybe it always is), but either way here is the link to it! Oh yeah, before I run out here is the link to the character generator the E-Mail speaks of. Anyways, I'm out!

Happy game making guys!

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - MetalRenard - 10-15-2012

Oh cool, that's a good marketing idea. How many features are missing from the lite version compared to the full retail version?

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - yamina-chan - 10-15-2012

Now that I'm back home and actually had the time to check this...not many, really.
True, I don't work with the VX Ace, but from what I remember from the demo, I can see no missing features at all. All I can see missing is recources. Only a few music/sound tracks, less RTP graphics for various things and a popup window that reminds you that the full version has more to offer appears when you start the program.
Also, in the scripts bit there is a "Logo" part, which it sais can not be removed in the lite version. (Basically the enterbrain splashscreens.)
Honestly, from what I have seen so far: if you don't plan on using the RTP material much and like the style of this maker, this is probably your choice.
Aparently tough, the RTP graphics and sounds do not count as RTP, so they will be calculated as additional material when you compress your game.

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - kyonides - 10-15-2012

So it's impossible to add or modify scripts? That makes it a extremely boring and simple version of VX Ace IMHO.

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - MetalRenard - 10-15-2012

Erm I don't know if that's the case. From what she said I gather that there's just one script you're unable to modify and it adds an "Enterbrain" splash screen to the start of the game. :)

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - kyonides - 10-15-2012

I know but I wanted to get more detailed info on that because of some rumors that I've read somewhere else.

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - Kain Nobel - 10-16-2012

VX Ace Lite is the alternative to the 30 day trial system, it's still the same ol VX Ace but the features are gimped and it never expires. It doesn't reference a global RTP, any time you click New Project it has to copy those graphics directly into the folder, plus it doesn't come with everything the full RTP has. I'm thinking you can get around this by installing the official RTP and copying all the resources into the "New Project" directory, but EB might not like that too much.

Wanting to develop custom graphics and map/event out everything and all that fancy jazz? You can use the Lite version, I don't think anything is holding you back really. "What about scripting," you ask? Sorry script kiddos, you'll have to officially buy it, there is no need for you in this department if you ain't got that cash :P

Oh yeah, you can load the pre-made sample maps on the fly! The only drawback from this is I've made a couple sample maps, tried to play them and immediately get bugs for missing graphics, most notorious of them all being !Other2.

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - Yin - 10-16-2012

I think there's also a limit to how many maps and events you can have.

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - yamina-chan - 10-16-2012

@Yin: Is there? Are you certain?
I have not tested it to it's limits, but that would be somewhat sad.

About the scripts: It did look like you simply could not remove the splashscreens, nothing was indicating that you could not change anything else. A quick test proved Kain Nobel to be right, however.
And if that is the case, I do not mind the Lite version as much any more. =)
It can be used as a challenge for those who allready have the VXAce, or as a path guiding you into the RPG Making. Which is what it was supposed to be, so that's good I think.

RE: RPG Maker VX Ace Lite - Free (but for how long?) - Yin - 10-16-2012

I haven't really tried it, but I THOUGHT I read that somewhere. Maybe I was reading about the trial version o_o

Edit:
I read this on Chaos-project:
10 heroes
10 classes
126 skills
16 items
60 weapons
60 armors
30 enemies
30 troops
25 states
110 animations
10 common events
No script editor
6 Tilesets
15 events per map.
20 maps max.
Can save projects
No call script but you can use the script functions of the other event commands like variable.
You can't make it use the RMVXAce RTP. So you have to manually import resources to the project folder.

Still haven't tried it, I already have Ace, so don't really need to. But not trying it means that I can't say whether this is true or not.