Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Unnamed Game Engine is known as Roole
Gosu::Image's vs Sprite's

Any RPG Maker user gotta know by know what the Sprite class is. This basic class might also appear under a similar name on other game engines. As far as you know its a Hidden Class for a quite obvious reason: Ruby doesn't include any visuals by default. That makes you depend on third party libraries or your very own custom library. Happy with a sweat That also means they might be written in a different programming language like C or C++ or perhaps even C#.

In Gosu and my library directly based on it, we get the Gosu::Image class that's a mix between your typical Bitmap and Sprite classes.
Happy with a sweat Yeap, it handles both components at the same time. You'd might think it's a Sprite class, but it does get some access to its ImageData class data that might be considered its very own Bitmap object.

What happens if I depend on the default Gosu::Image class?

Well, it's not like anything should happen BUT you gotta remember there are 2 or 3 special steps you gotta add to your list of pending script calls once you've created your images alias sprites.
  • There's a draw step! Shocked
    This means you gotta add your image to the list of drawables manually. Impossible in RM series!
  • Your image needs you to pass some coordinates and optionally some x and y scale factors, a color and something dubbed the alpha mode.
  • Disposal of images is automatic. So you don't really need to do it yourself, Ruby or C++ should handle that for you.
Now that you're aware of this curious fact about the engine, I'm in need of asking you this:

Confused Which option do you prefer?

To pass any of those Drawing Arguments?
Or handle it a la RM where they're predefined?

If you choose the latter, you gotta know you'd still need to add a line of code telling the scene's draw method to actually draw it on screen... but you wouldn't need to pass any parameters. Laughing
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unnamed Game Engine - by kyonides - 08-28-2020, 04:57 AM
RE: Unnamed Game Engine - by kyonides - 08-28-2020, 11:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   SMILE GAME BUILDER only $13.99 DerVVulfman 0 820 12-27-2022, 05:06 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   I have a request when making your next game... JayRay 1 4,549 11-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Last Post: kyonides
   Input on what sort of game you'd be interested in ChickenFetus 7 12,974 06-28-2016, 03:14 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Game Development Dream Team Kain Nobel 2 6,144 06-17-2016, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Bounty Hunter Lani
   my Game Battle Questions! JayRay 3 5,927 08-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Last Post: JayRay
   [Kinda-Poll] Pattern Game for new maker hanetzer 4 7,838 01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Last Post: JayRay
Video  Lets Make a Game LilyKnight 27 29,642 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Last Post: greenraven
  Game Idea Thread KasperKalamity 30 35,745 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Last Post: KasperKalamity
  XNA Game Stdio 4.0 millarso 2 5,727 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Last Post: millarso
Question  Releasing game soundtracks Python Blue 7 10,166 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Python Blue