Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 How to compose music
How to compose music
This will be a nice but basic introduction to music theory.

Notes
The first thing you need to know when you are going to make music, is the name of each note. We will use a piano model first.
[Image: PianoNoteNames.jpg]

Pay attention to the white ones first. As you can see, they go from C to B. In fact, it is just like the first seven letters of the English alphabet. It's just that A, B is at the end instead of at the beginning. The entire scale of notes is just this scale of seven notes (plus the black ones which I will describe in next paragraph) repeated. Like this:
[Image: Piano+Keys.GIF] It's the same over and over again, so you only need to learn these seven notes and the black ones and you will know every note.

The black notes between the white ones all have two names. While the white ones have only one name, A, B, C, D, E, F or G, the black note between A and B for example, is called both "A sharp" and "B flat." "A sharp" because it is right above A, and "B flat" because it right below B.

Chords
A chord is two or more notes that make up a harmony when played together. A chord is based on a specific tone (like A or C for example) and they are one of many chord types. The two most common types of chord are "Major" and "Minor." Major sounds happy and Minor sounds sad. Let's examine the different ways to play chords. The first one consists of three notes played at once. These are called triads. Let's take a look at a triad C major.
[Image: c_chord_piano_.gif]

It plays C, E and G. It is a C chord because the root, or the base note (for now we can rely on that the lowest note is the root) is a C.
It is a major chord (you know, the glad kind) because it has this particular structure: Three notes between the first and the second note (C and E) if you include the black ones, and two notes between the second and third note (E and G) also including the black ones. So of the two "spaces" in the chord, the lowest consists of three notes and the highest of two. As to why it is a triad, it is something I will explain later. Don't worry about it for now.

What if we want to play a minor chord? The structure is the complete oposite. Two notes between first and second note in the chord, three between the second and third note of the chord. When we play a major chord, say C Major, we do not say major, as major is the default harmony type. We simply say a C chord. If it is a C minor, we might say C minor, and write an abreviated version: Cm.

These two patterns can be put anywhere. If you have a piano you will have it easier learning this. Try to play a C chord (C major), then an F chord (F major) using the same structure but starting on the F note. Try to play an Fm (F minor) and ultimately, try to learn every single chord into your hand so you can play it or transcribe it without thinking. Also remember the name of each chord you play as well as which notes it consists of.

Making a chord progression
The next step is to put together some chords after each others. This is the first step towards an actual melody. Play each chord for equally long and play the progression over and over again. First some examples that you can practice, then try to make your own:

Am G F G - A very basic chord progression that gives a dramatic feel.

Am C G F - Another simple and conventional progression

Am F C G - A very commonly used progression in chorus parts.

Am F G Em - A little more harmonically challenging.

Now onto an actual song. Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen:

C ______________ Am _____________C ______________Am _______
I heard there was a secret chord, that David played, that pleased the
________F____________G___________C___________G________
lord, but you don't really care for music do ya?
_____C______________F________G____Am_________________F______
But it goes like this, the fourth the fifth, the minor falls and the major lift
____G_____________E____Am______
The bathle king composing, Hallelujah

Freedom with chords
So far we have only played in basic tuning. Actually, the only rule we have to follow when playing the chord is that all the notes we play must be a part of the chord. We can play the notes wherever we want on the piano. The C can be above the E and G in a C major chord like this:
[Image: istinver.jpg]
That is all for today. I will add more to this later.
Valdred
Tech Administrator of Save-Point

Reply }
This is a brilliant guide!

Especially if one is using Kontakt inside of FL Studio, or another program that offers a keyboard layout. xD

* I'm going to use this tut to when I get back to my PC :3 *
[Image: 10shroo.jpg]
Set by me, MagitekElite!
Planet Development

Artist, Author, Gamer, Music Maker (learning!) and Christian :)
Reply }
(04-20-2011, 06:02 PM)MagitekElite Wrote: This is a brilliant guide!

Especially if one is using Kontakt inside of FL Studio, or another program that offers a keyboard layout. xD

* I'm going to use this tut to when I get back to my PC :3 *
The keyboard layout is the easiest and most obvious one.
strings and winds dont have that sort of obviousness to them.

Guitar E A B G D E
Bass E A B G

I think most wind starts with A or C
The piano layout is in order so its the best to explain theory with.
why else do you think great composers pretty much always favored the piano?

Reply }
I'm sorry, I don't understand your post.... :(
[Image: 10shroo.jpg]
Set by me, MagitekElite!
Planet Development

Artist, Author, Gamer, Music Maker (learning!) and Christian :)
Reply }
Great tutorial!

Although, there is a lot more to composing music than just these basics. Music composition takes a lot of creativity and work. It takes people years of practice and schooling sometimes. For beginners looking to get into it, this guide is a major help.
Reply }
I highly agree, and I think of this as the first part of a series. I might add more tuts. Thanks for the feedback
Valdred
Tech Administrator of Save-Point

Reply }
I have a completely different approach to composition... But I have the advantage of having been exposed to "good" music all my life so I have a naturally trained ear.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   A Layman's Thoughs on Game Music DerVVulfman 2 4,000 09-01-2019, 03:32 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   An Introduction To Digital Music Creation, Part 2 MetalRenard 1 6,628 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Last Post: MetalRenard
   An Introduction To Digital Music Creation, Part 1 MetalRenard 1 6,857 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Music  Size optimazation for projects using .mp3 music hanetzer 0 3,754 03-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Last Post: hanetzer
   Loopable Music - How to! MetalRenard 4 8,089 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Last Post: yamina-chan
   MetalRenard's Music Tutorial Thread - Videos! MetalRenard 14 20,313 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM