Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multilanguage script petition for RMXP
In most cases you wouldn't need to do it except for terms like steps and others that aren't included in the database options. In order to effectively solve this issue, you would just need to make a single TXT file where you could place every term and their translations in a single line separated by a comma or a dot... Mmm, the comma would be your best option. Then someone could make a module where this single file would be read and get every single term and assign it to a specific object like an array or a hash or a class, I don't know, and then the default and even some custom scripts could get the info from it by checking a game variable's value, I'd recommend a numeric value (an integer) equal or greater than 1000 to make sure that there would be no way that it could get confused or be reused for a different purpose without causing an obvious error that could alert you about any unintentional (value) changes. If there are no mistakes found while beta testing your game, you could check that game variable value by pressing F9 button and searching for that specific variable. Whenever you find a 1000 it means that the language chosen should be, eh, English, 2000 would mean the player wants to read everything in Spanish and so on.

Mmm, now that I was thinking a little bit more about the dialogs language settings, you could still do the same as you'd do with the database, copy the map and map info data, paste it somewhere else, translate it and then let a script search for the specific language data file the same way it'd do it with the other files I mentioned yesterday.

I'm really convinced that the need to create too many TXT files and convert their contents would be reduced to the very minimum because a single found would be needed for all those things that could not be either changed directly in the events or in the database.

I know, that might make your game package get some additional 1 or 2 MB of data but no one would be capable of editing any TXT file and other resources (like images and audio files) would still required more available space on the player's hard disk than the whole data files size multiplied by 10 or 20 or even 30.

I guess I ingested too much caffeine, again...

EDIT

Wait, it's even easier that I have foreseen as of yesterday. Just make a copy of your Data folder, paste it right there. The system will tell you there's another folder with the same name or it'll just rename it automatically, ie. Copy of Data. Rename it manually so it says something like DataESP, do NOT rename any of the files stored inside that folder. A script should care about the rest by selecting a folder depending on the user preferences and for any scripter the rest of the job would be some sort of piece of cake.

The only thing is that the translations should be the very last step of your game development. You may ask why should it be like that. Well, unless you don't mind having to copy the Data folder and its contents in their original version and having to translate just everything once again from the very beginning, that would be the best thing to do to avoid wasting time whenever you make an update to the main language version of your game.
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }

Messages In This Thread
Multilanguage script petition for RMXP - by Iqus - 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM
RE: Multilanguage script petition for RMXP - by kyonides - 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Script compatibility help Lord Vectra 3 3,668 07-25-2021, 11:42 PM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   [RMXP] Showing skill gained by leveling up on battle result FrQise 12 10,618 05-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: FrQise
   Adding face script on Cogwheel's RTAB Battle Status rekkatsu 15 13,235 08-25-2020, 03:09 AM
   "Wait" in the script Whisper 13 13,974 04-28-2020, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Whisper
   Skill Cooldown script Fenriswolf 11 14,394 12-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Fenriswolf
   Help iwth script (RGSS Player crash) Whisper 3 7,732 06-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Whisper
   Help modifying a script Keeroh 7 9,125 06-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Question  Mog Menu script: help me stop the crazy picture movement during transitions Zachariad 4 8,783 05-31-2017, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Zachariad
   Actor names in Quest Script jreagan406 5 7,725 03-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Last Post: JayRay
   Bizarre issue with Lanzer counter script. Steel Beast 6Beets 2 6,673 10-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Steel Beast 6Beets