Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenRPG Maker
After 5 years in development, OpenRPG Maker has been released to the public. Development is still ongoing, but the editor is ~90% feature complete. The game engine will be released in increments over the next few months, and will be designed in a way that allows for easy game distribution. Best of all, it is free (although donations are gratefully accepted).

I found this forum on Google, and thought it would be an appropriate place to seek testers/designers who would be willing to look it over. We are looking for Positive/Constructive feedback. It currently runs in both Linux and Windows. Mac is untested (as we don't have access to one).

The program and source code can be downloaded from here.

Thanks,

Tobin "GrueMaster" Davis
Reply }
Oh man, just as I was about to get some sleep, this is posted! I try to keep track of projects like this, I'm definitely checking this out as soon as I get home tonight. Five years? That is quite a commitment!
[Image: Button-BOTB.png]
[Image: Save-Point.gif][Image: Button-You-Tube2.png][Image: Button-Sound-Cloud2.png][Image: Button-Audio-Mack2.png]
[Image: LS-Banner.gif]
NEW ALBUM OUT NOW!

Reply }
Hey, welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your work! I'll have a look when I have some time.
Reply }
Actually, it is my son's project. I am only there for moral (and financial) support. Very happy + Tongue sticking out
Reply }
That's awesome!!!
Kudos to you, sir!
Reply }
well props for being a supportive dad. my parents said i'd never get anywhere trying to make vidja games. NOW LOOK AT ME, i have a couch and an internet connection and FOUR cats!
Reply }
Hey, GrueMaster! Tell me, does it support or will ever support scripting in any object oriented programming language?
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Maranatha!

The Internet might be either your friend or enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.

[Image: SP1-Scripter.png]
[Image: SP1-Writer.png]
[Image: SP1-Poet.png]
[Image: SP1-PixelArtist.png]
[Image: SP1-Reporter.png]

My Original Stories (available in English and Spanish)

List of Compiled Binary Executables I have published...
HiddenChest & Roole

Give me a free copy of your completed game if you include at least 3 of my scripts! Laughing + Tongue sticking out

Just some scripts I've already published on the board...
KyoGemBoost XP VX & ACE, RandomEnkounters XP, KSkillShop XP, Kolloseum States XP, KEvents XP, KScenario XP & Gosu, KyoPrizeShop XP Mangostan, Kuests XP, KyoDiscounts XP VX, ACE & MV, KChest XP VX & ACE 2016, KTelePort XP, KSkillMax XP & VX & ACE, Gem Roulette XP VX & VX Ace, KRespawnPoint XP, VX & VX Ace, GiveAway XP VX & ACE, Klearance XP VX & ACE, KUnits XP VX, ACE & Gosu 2017, KLevel XP, KRumors XP & ACE, KMonsterPals XP VX & ACE, KStatsRefill XP VX & ACE, KLotto XP VX & ACE, KItemDesc XP & VX, KPocket XP & VX, OpenChest XP VX & ACE
Reply }
The plan (afaik) is to add Python as a scripting engine in a future release. For more info, see feature requests.
Reply }
It's a shame there is no engine to it yet, however, I noticed all the data is stored in xml format, so this could potentially be adapted to any scripting language. Just need to understand the layouts of the files first in order to create a proper API. For example, I could easily parse the data with php, and output ( not so easilly ) html5/ajax to play the game in a web browser. So yeah, lot's of unrealized potential here. Parsing data is easy, it's making it do stuff that's hard.
Reply }
Well there's only a few more things left to do in the editor before I begin work on the engine. The theory behind the engine is complex though since it'll theoretically be easilly portable to other systems and languages. As far as the object oriented scripting goes I decided against it in the end because I noticed one of the biggest turn off points for a lot of people reguarding RPG Maker XP and Game Maker was the fact that it had the scripting and you couldn't really do anything complex without using it. The idea behind Open RPG Maker is to have an enormous amount of power and complexity in what you can do, while making as insanely simple as humanly possible to do it.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   RPG Maker Unite and VRM models? JayRay 0 1,309 02-18-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: JayRay
   Small RPG Maker Games for Android Mike_Everley 0 1,498 12-23-2021, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mike_Everley
   RPG Maker series + Rants kyonides 4 5,431 08-25-2020, 12:41 AM
Last Post: kyonides
   RPG Maker has gotten progressively worse since XP Son_Rukiri 19 22,383 07-22-2018, 03:22 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
Question  Easiest 2D Sprite maker software MrFunny 2 6,064 11-28-2017, 06:19 PM
   Is RPG Maker XP still a viable option? Zaphias 10 13,663 03-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Last Post: hanetzer
   RPG Maker MV Announced PK8 2 7,128 04-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Starmage
   Are TCGs in RPG Maker realistic. BeJeremiah 9 15,289 06-11-2015, 03:01 AM
   [Kinda-Poll] Pattern Game for new maker hanetzer 4 7,771 01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
   Poking at the RPG Maker VXAce map format. MechanicalPen 14 19,332 02-04-2014, 03:53 AM
Last Post: MechanicalPen