Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Khaos Music!
Hello! I'm posting two short pieces here to show a little bit of my music ability, mainly because most of the pieces I composed last year are really bad. These are really the first I've composed this year, and they were composed maybe in January sometime :( I've been working on a piece for the longest time, and it's only a couple of measures long, but I'm trying to perfect it and I can't really seem to find any inspiration.
Anyway, my style is orchestral, none of that rock JRPG stuff.
Anyway, I intend to expand on this page. Its the music for my project I guess...but also some other stuff I just feel like writing in the future.
I'm just a beginner so...

Melancholy(Ignore the file name):
http://www.mediafire.com/?jtkrmywxwuj

Ascent:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zdltllyiitj

That's all I have for now, sadly, but more will come soon. Enjoy ^ ^
}
Bb major!? you disgust me. concert c's where it's at foo'

as to your music, why are they .wavs? that format is so archaic and obsolete that it's baffling that anyone anywhere ever would even use it for anything, especially music files.

melancholy:

where's the melody?! it isn't those half notes is it? As a side note, please notice that string orchestras are not just violins and basses. There are the cellos and the violas buried deep in the mix--they're there for a reason, which is to give your music depth and lend complexity to your chords. There's not a lot of room for tension between different pitches if you're completely locked up in the higher end and lower end without any midtone filling in between.

ascent seems to lack a real sense of direction. Yes, is has atmosphere, but the chord progression doesn't really resolve itself in a way that at least I can understand, and there's nothing to offer in the way of melody. As a side note, the soundfont you used for tremolo violins in the beginning sounded really nice. Too bad the regular arco kicked in and started sounding cheesy
}
isaac Wrote:Bb major!? you disgust me. concert c's where it's at foo'

as to your music, why are they .wavs? that format is so archaic and obsolete that it's baffling that anyone anywhere ever would even use it for anything, especially music files.

Even though .wav takes up more file space than most other music formats, it has one of the best compression qualities (other than .ogg, which can't be used for background music in RMXP)

I'll take a listen to these later.
}
isaac Wrote:Bb major!? you disgust me. concert c's where it's at foo'

melancholy:

where's the melody?! it isn't those half notes is it? As a side note, please notice that string orchestras are not just violins and basses. There are the cellos and the violas buried deep in the mix--they're there for a reason, which is to give your music depth and lend complexity to your chords. There's not a lot of room for tension between different pitches if you're completely locked up in the higher end and lower end without any midtone filling in between.

ascent seems to lack a real sense of direction. Yes, is has atmosphere, but the chord progression doesn't really resolve itself in a way that at least I can understand, and there's nothing to offer in the way of melody. As a side note, the soundfont you used for tremolo violins in the beginning sounded really nice. Too bad the regular arco kicked in and started sounding cheesy

Uhh...sorry? Ascent is meant to be atmospheric, and its not meant to resolve itself. It's short and sporadic and is used in that context in the game. And yes...I know I shouldn't rely only on those string ensembles, and have been doing differently in other things I've composed because I came to that exact realization. But, you don't have to be so harsh man. I'm only a beginner, in composing at least. And Bb major along with A Major are my favorite keys...so...I disgust you because I have an opinion on keys? I like concert C, I just don't like to use it all that much.
}
And I like .wav because it really gives you the ability to hear everything that's in the music, which is why I use it.
}
Khaosn95 Wrote:And I like .wav because it really gives you the ability to hear everything that's in the music, which is why I use it.

Yes, I like it for that reason too...a lot of people thing .mp3 is the best, but that compresses the hell out of stuff. Anyways, I'm about to listen to your songs, I'll let you know what I think =)
}
I think it sounds pretty good :D, you should add some flutes or something.
}
Thanks man :D I will. I'm composing something right now with a flute in it :p
}
Looking forward to hearing it :D

EDIT: What program are you using?
}
Finale.
}

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   RPG Music Box: High Quality RPG Maker Tunes! MetalRenard 27 39,522 06-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Crono
   Theme for some music I am making deValdr 5 12,921 05-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Last Post: deValdr
  Music On Request MetalRenard 34 47,008 05-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Last Post: MetalRenard
   my own music TheoAllen 23 29,063 06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Last Post: yamina-chan
   Hsia's free music for games movement!!! Hsia_Nu 7 12,853 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Ratty524
   Various Short RPG music PoisonedV 0 3,776 12-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Last Post: PoisonedV