Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
 The Cult of the Chained O-freakin'-blivion!
Trust me guys, I didn't come up with this.
I got this from a youtube video recounting pen-n-paper RPG stories.
Unfortunately, no names were attributed.

The Cult of the Chained O-freakin'-blivion!

I actually started a homebrew campaign about a coming apocalypse. In the campaign, there was going to be this massive destroyer creature coming that was shrouded in mystery, one that a Seer foresaw in the future and warned the King about. But the Seer also foresaw the party fighting and defeating it.

So I opened the story with the King logically bringing the players to his throne room, used magic to show them the vision, and gave them their mission to stop it and sent them on their way. I had planned that they would arrive at the next location and learn that the cataclysm they were to face was the champion of the 'Chained Oblivion', a cult that's been a recurring thorn in their side.

My players immediately derailed the story by deciding that they quite liked the cult of this diety they never recalled, though I did mentioned it once in passing. I planned to have the cult be the main antagonist of the group. But they loved it so much that they had instead decided to joint it.

It's a cult of the Chained O-freakin'-blivion!

So now my homebrew game went from stopping the Chained Oblivion's champion from breaking free and destroying the world to... "Let's get this really cool mysterious 'Exalted One' out of the locked magic box it's in while climbing the ranks of this dope ass cult!"

Why?

Because the party didn't start with a Cleric. So when I made the original cell's leader a cleric, they misinterpreted him as a DMPC in the most absolutely atrocious way possible. So now every time an NPC mentions the King's mission, they keep trying to guess what powers they actually have.

The answer is yes to all of them. I'm just adding whatever ideas they come up with to it, within the limits of D&D, because at this point the world is already kind of screwed. Also serves me right ot change up the boss, from Bards which I ususally run, to an Evil Cleric because it's something more traditionally culty.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }