Has Anyone Ever Tried to Create A Game+ System?
Anyone around these here forums ever attempt to implement their own game+ type system into their game?
(Discounting password systems, which are cool, but I more-so was thinking actual changes to the code upon completing the game.)

I had the idea to do one for a very simple, small project I was doing (Super basic, just having icons appear on the menu screen for each ending completed.) But after looking up some stuff I gained the impression that doing it would be fairly complicated, with use of global variables and/or external ini files, etc.

I still think it's an interesting topic though, and wondered if anyone here ever tried it for themselves, and had any anecdotes from their experiences.

[Moved this from general, thought this section might be more fitting. Still getting used to posting on a forum Xp]
Reply }
Well, a friend of mine wanted something... entertaining.

She wanted to use an ABS for her combat system. Now an ABS (or Active Battle System) is basically ZELDA or DIABLO or whatnot... all the combat is on the map and you move your character all around dodging magic bolts lobbed at her. Yep, her. I could best describe the character lead as "Rukia Kuchiki" from Bleach, but with a spiritually conjured bow.

However, she wanted to give the player some ... grief. In every ABS system out there, the player could just up and cheat and hit ESC to bring up the menu and pause the game while in combat. Well, either that or work to ensure that the ESC button didn't work unless you were in a safe zone. But she was like "That gives too much away.". You knew you were safe if you could open the menu.

So Mister Bright-Idea here thought, why not make it so all the menu windows are actually brought up within the field map???

The basic principle of the default menu system is that when you enter a menu, you leave SCENE_MAP, the actual Scene/Engine that handles the field map. You actually EXIT the map, though game values of player position and such are memorized. Still, you leave it just the same and all actions are basically frozen. And when you decide to look at the Skiill Menu, you switch over to SCENE_SKILL and aren't even in SCENE_MENU.

Booooring. My idea was to just move all the mechanics into Scene_Map itself. When hitting ESC, you didn't leave the field map. You only turned on an in-map switch that brought up the "Window_Menu" and like screens. And while the menu was up, it would turn off the player's movement system and allowed cursor control. However, all map events would work just fine.

And if you were in combat.... you better be in that menu for a VERY short period of time. :D

SHE loved it.

Our friend Mark hated it. He was like "YOU TOOK OUT MY CHEAT!!!!!"
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)

[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png]    [Image: liM4ikn.png]    [Image: fdzKgZA.png]    [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png]    [Image: uSqjY09.png]    [Image: GAA3qE9.png]    [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png]    [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
  Above are clickable links
Reply }
(Yesterday, 03:13 AM)DerVVulfman Wrote: Well, a friend of mine wanted something... entertaining.

She wanted to use an ABS for her combat system.  Now an ABS (or Active Battle System) is basically ZELDA or DIABLO or whatnot... all the combat is on the map and you move your character all around dodging magic bolts lobbed at her.  Yep, her.  I could best describe the character lead as "Rukia Kuchiki" from Bleach, but with a spiritually conjured bow.

However, she wanted to give the player some ... grief.  In every ABS system out there, the player could just up and cheat and hit ESC to bring up the menu and pause the game while in combat.  Well, either that or work to ensure that the ESC button didn't work unless you were in a safe zone.  But she was like "That gives too much away.".  You knew you were safe if you could open the menu.

So Mister Bright-Idea here thought, why not make it so all the menu windows are actually brought up within the field map???

The basic principle of the default menu system is that when you enter a menu, you leave SCENE_MAP, the actual Scene/Engine that handles the field map.  You actually EXIT the map, though game values of player position and such are memorized.  Still, you leave it just the same and all actions are basically frozen.  And when you decide to look at the Skiill Menu, you switch over to SCENE_SKILL and aren't even in SCENE_MENU.

Booooring.  My idea was to just move all the mechanics into Scene_Map itself.  When hitting ESC, you didn't leave the field map.  You only turned on an in-map switch that brought up the "Window_Menu" and like screens.  And while the menu was up, it would turn off the player's movement system and allowed cursor control.  However, all map events would work just fine.

And if you were in combat.... you better be in that menu for a VERY short period of time. :D

SHE loved it.

Our friend Mark hated it.  He was like "YOU TOOK OUT MY CHEAT!!!!!"

Hahaha xD that's hilarious, it sounds like a really fun project too
Reply }
Yup, did such a system for Dreamscape.
I stored the completion data in a separate file. You can consider it as a global save.
When Scene_Title is starting up I read this file to see which icons to display.

Don't really have much in terms of anecdotes as I found it easy and straightforward to do. Maybe I found it easy because I already had done a game=>game import system for the Laxius Force and Millennium series.
Pretty sure there already are scripts out there which can help, but I have no idea how difficult/easy it would be to implement what your want using them.

*hugs*
[Image: ZeriabSig.png]
Reply }
Yup, did such a system for Dreamscape.
I stored the completion data in a separate file. You can consider it as a global save.
When Scene_Title is starting up I read this file to see which icons to display.

Don't really have much in terms of anecdotes as I found it easy and straightforward to do. Maybe I found it easy because I already had done a game=>game import system.
Pretty sure there already are scripts out there which can help, but I have no idea how difficult/easy it would be to implement what your want using them.

*hugs*
[Image: ZeriabSig.png]
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   SMILE GAME BUILDER only $13.99 DerVVulfman 0 1,176 12-27-2022, 05:06 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
   Unnamed Game Engine is known as Roole kyonides 2 4,275 08-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Last Post: kyonides
   I have a request when making your next game... JayRay 1 4,947 11-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Last Post: kyonides
   Input on what sort of game you'd be interested in ChickenFetus 7 14,296 06-28-2016, 03:14 AM
   Game Development Dream Team Kain Nobel 2 6,611 06-17-2016, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Bounty Hunter Lani
Sad  RPG MKER XP tile system should be in VX and MV MoonBeamDust 3 6,759 04-24-2016, 03:34 AM
   my Game Battle Questions! JayRay 3 6,600 08-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Last Post: JayRay
   [Kinda-Poll] Pattern Game for new maker hanetzer 4 8,495 01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Last Post: JayRay
Video  Lets Make a Game LilyKnight 27 32,869 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Last Post: greenraven
  New Battle System! Raphael Rpg Games 6 9,778 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Raphael Rpg Games