Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 The z-space problem of displaying sprites
Never... say never.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1758]

Yes, the header states that this was something I worked on over six years ago.  And for 'general' usage, I do need to strip away much of the BattleSystem code I had introduced. But the code itself is still sound.  The small render of the four characters, two carrying shields, is thanks to code I only just introduced to let it work with Fukuyama's classic "Train Actor" script, the oldest caterpillar or hero follow script I know.

Currently, the script has some nice features already
1) You can change the order in which your gear is placed based on facing direction.  So if the player character is facing forward to you, the cloak is rendered first before anything else.  If the player is facing up and away from you, the cloak is rendered last and atop all the armor.  Of course, this is assuming you have a cloak.  Let's assume these are the wings, shall we? 

2) You can have custom individual graphics per character.  So if  Aluxes has a set of wings and Hilda has a set of wings, yes... both have wings.  Only, you can give Hilda prettier wing graphics even though they both identify as the same wing item in inventory.

3) HUES.   Why make 4 sets of shirts when you only need one...?  You may only need one graphic and just change the hue in the setup?  Four shirts of red, blue, yellow and brown with ONLY one graphic needed.

Examples:
Code:
    EQUIP['2,1']        = ["Shield/RndShield"]
    EQUIP['2,2']        = ["Shield/RndShield",    90]
    EQUIP['2,3']        = ["Shield/RndShield",    180]
    EQUIP['2,4']        = ["Shield/RndShield",    240]
A bit sloppy, but usable.

The EQUIP array has 2 parameters, the 'slot' and the 'item_id'.  For all four here, the slot is #2 for the shield. And the item IDs are for the Bronze, Iron, Steel and Mythril shields.

Each one is given an array that has the path to a shield graphic and an optional hue.  ALL FOUR SHIELDS USE THE SAME GRAPHIC!!!  I only changed the hue so they have different coloring.  For a shield that has many colors... well, not the best. It depends on the source graphic.  But the option is there.

Code:
    EQUIP['2,1,'008']        = ["Shield/Shield2"]
    EQUIP['2,2,'008']        = ["Shield/Shield2",   90]
    EQUIP['2,3,'008']        = ["Shield/Shield2",   180]
    EQUIP['2,4,'008']        = ["Shield/Shield2",   240]
This is BASICALLY the same.  but the EQUIP array now has a third parameter, that being 008.   The third parameter indicates the specific ActorID that acquires 'Shield2' instead of 'Rndshield', though they are still being hue-altered.

I don't have the layering exactly as I want it... wanting to allow full graphics to be drawn 'before' the player/actor.  That will be an endeavor, but one I should be up to task.

I mean, hey...  I made a Dance-Dance-Revolution demo with this, and am probably the only person who invented a system to actually "CACHE" the audio files so they can be compressed within your .rgsaad file (limiting what you need to send with your game.

Attached Files
.jpg   NeverSayNever.jpg (Size: 141.77 KB / Downloads: 42)
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }

Messages In This Thread
RE: The z-space problem of displaying sprites - by DerVVulfman - 02-21-2023, 08:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Problem with drain script form the ATOA ACBS Djigit 2 4,956 07-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Djigit
   Event collision problem with FPLE script ThePrinceofMars 2 5,269 11-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Last Post: ThePrinceofMars
  Custom meter problem daylights 13 14,195 08-12-2013, 03:34 AM
Last Post: daylights
   [RUBY] Depack Thread Problem Narzew 1 3,950 07-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Narzew
   Advantages & Charlie Fleed CTB problem Yin 7 10,776 12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Yin
   Charlie Fleed's CTB - Problem with dual wielding characters MegaPowerNinja 2 5,311 04-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Charlie Fleed
   Slight problem with Omega Quest script. Boot 4 7,794 03-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Last Post: BlackDragon 31
   Help on an old problem. Yin 5 8,434 12-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Last Post: Yin
   AMS script problem Thehero 2 5,943 05-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Jaberwocky
   Window Visibility Problem computerwizoo7 7 10,148 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Last Post: deValdr