Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Memes that annoy you.
Before I start...
Wikipedia on Internet Memes Wrote:At its most basic, an Internet meme is simply the propagation of a digital file or hyperlink from one person to others using methods available through the Internet (for example, email, blogs, social networking sites, instant messaging, etc). The content often consists of a saying or joke, a rumor, an altered or original image, a complete website, a video clip or animation, or an offbeat news story, among many other possibilities. An Internet meme may stay the same or may evolve over time, by chance or through commentary, imitations, and parody versions, or even by collecting news accounts about itself. Internet memes have a tendency to evolve and spread extremely quickly, sometimes going in and out of popularity in just days. They are spread organically, voluntarily, and peer to peer, rather than by compulsion, predetermined path, or completely automated means.
The term may refer to the content that spreads from user to user, the idea behind the content, or the phenomenon of its spread. Internet memes have been seen as a form of art. There exist websites that collect and popularize Internet memes as well as sites devoted to the spread of specific Internet memes. The term is generally not applied to content or web services that are seen as legitimate, useful, and non-faddish, or that spread through organized publishing and distribution channels. Thus, serious news stories, videogames, web services, songs by established musical groups, or the like are usually not called Internet memes.

Internet meme examples: Rickrolling, lolcats, Over 9000, x y is x, etc..

Just post what memes annoy you or what memes you feel are overused. :P

For me, I've a bunch but I'll just post one thing for now. It would have to be the use of the words "Epic", "Win", or "Fail" and the combination of those words like "Epic win" and "Epic fail". I mean, it used to be great to use... until people started using it ad nauseam. Especially offline... Gah!! Sad

How about you? :o
Reply }
All of them.

Every goddamn meme.

People saying ohai when they join chat.

People thinking o rly or rawr make them look cool.

Cat macros.

Pretty much ANYTHING that's been repeated more than once, is OUT OF CONTEXT, and WASN'T EVEN FUNNY THE FIRST TIME.
Reply }
Um... as a 'cat' person (go figure... the resident werewolf), I just gotta say :3

But while I accept occasional LMAO or AFK, I'm not really keen on l33T5PEAK. Any overused quantity of such abbreviations in place of words can annoy one so.
Reply }
I have nothing against funny images of cats, but for the love of god, adding a phrase in "cat speak" does not make it any funnier.

OHAI I ARE CAT I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER
Reply }
Wyatt Wrote:All of them.

Every goddamn meme.

People saying ohai when they join chat.

People thinking o rly or rawr make them look cool.

Cat macros.

Pretty much ANYTHING that's been repeated more than once, is OUT OF CONTEXT, and WASN'T EVEN FUNNY THE FIRST TIME.
So true. Tongue sticking out But I would argue that I found certain things pretty funny (like Over 9000, This is Sparta, etc.) before they started being repeated and used out of context and/or the wrong way by the masses.

DerVVulfman Wrote:Um... as a 'cat' person (go figure... the resident werewolf), I just gotta say :3

But while I accept occasional LMAO or AFK, I'm not really keen on l33T5PEAK. Any overused quantity of such abbreviations in place of words can annoy one so.
Warning: Slight rant alert. Probably an entirely different topic altogether, but man, I really can't stand it when people take a huge dump on the English Language and writing by making unnecessary abbreviations, attempting to "shorten" certain words, Making Every Word In A Sentence Start With A Capital Letter, replacing certain letters with numbers or other letters, etc.. Take this for example:
Example Wrote:Example: Replacing every instance of the letter g with the letter q. (This one in particular just really annoys the crap out of me.)
Example usaqe: im qoinq to visit qeorqia when im on summer vacation with my friend qeorqe. its qoinq to be fun!! (:
Tongue sticking out

Wyatt Wrote:I have nothing against funny images of cats, but for the love of god, adding a phrase in "cat speak" does not make it any funnier.

OHAI I ARE CAT I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER
[Image: disminedath.jpg] wyatt y is it nawt funnie?? :(

Haha, okay. That was jokes. I also can't stand "Rickrolling" anymore. Sure, I like the music video, I like the song but wow man, I think getting rickrolled is so 2008...
What ruined Rickrolling: YouTube's April Fools Prank of 2008. (Every featured vid link you clicked on was a rickroll.)
What KILLED Rickrolling: Nancy Pelosi's utterly shite attempt at Rickrolling (and doing it wrong too). Tongue sticking out
Reply }
Longcat is kinda lame, but on IRC when you have the ability to bypass the servers floodlimit and create a 200 lines + of longcat it's kind of cool. Memes generally don't annoy me, I've been on the internet for way too long for simple things like that to annoy me. While some are tedious and retarded, they're really nothing to get worked up over or even worth thinking about them enough to hate them.

Memes have been around for ever, and something like "o rly" is used by a hell of a lot of people, most usually IRC or other types of chat.
Reply }
I can understand a lot of the "annoying" things online. The shortened speech is one of those things. If you type slower than everyone you talk to, I can understand you shortening your words to keep up. However, if you are posting a message on a forum or sending an e-mail, I would prefer seeing the entire word rather than trying to decode the sentence.

The one that is really annoying me is "Binky the clown sings X# songs!!!!1!111!!1"

I grew up with Garfield, and there are a few episodes I still like to watch. However, they are very hard to find these days, and these Binky vids only make it harder. Absolutely every video leads to Binky and his annoying dancing. It was funny when I first saw them put different songs to the dance, but that was it. 5,000,000 songs later, it's like watching a rake going across a chalkboard just to experience the cringe.

I also think the Rick rolling is getting old, but only because the variety is slim and they are too obvious. Here's an example of an original Rick Roll. This is hilarious to me. There are others, like The Simpsons getting Rick Roll'd, but most of the time it is just the same old thing, promise one thing and deliver Rick.

I'm surprised the two haven't been combined yet to spawn Binky Rolls.
Indifferent
Shocked
Forget I mentioned that!
Confused
Reply }
"What is this I don't even."

What is this even supposed to mean? :x
Reply }
Eh? What are you referring to, Ratty?
Reply }
X Y is X. I don't see what is so funny about it.
Reply }