Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like some advice for my project.
I want to make a game in XP that plays like a roguelike. I would like advice for any nice and easy methods that can be used to add these features.

Features I hope to add
-Thirst/hunger/sleep
-Appearance changing based on equipped gear
-Random loot drops
-Cursed and enchanted gear that must be identified
-Companions
-Day/night cycle (Though I may end up using a 'rest/set up camp' action to transition if day/night cycles are complicated to make)
-a point and click style combat system. (something like Neverwinter nights or Dragon age Mr Mo's looked close but from the Demo it looked like you had to manually position and then hold shift)
-a Skill tree system instead of standard leveling up (kind of like Skyrim. The more you do something the better you get at it with Perk bonuses.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Some of those features are already in Mr Mo's but I am not sure if there is any other that might be more suitable. Any scripts, customizable menus ect that you think will help me let me know.
Reply }
You have a very specific idea of what you want for your game, and if you can't script yourself I doubt you'll find exactly what you want.
Rogue-like games are cool, and it would be surprisingly easy (in theory) to make one using only events.

MrMo's battle system (to my knowledge) doesn't allow for the turn based type of combat which I think roguelike games have (you move once, enemy moves once kind of thing). You could script it with events though - after the player makes a move, you run a parallel event that sets off the enemy's movements.

If you need any tips I'm sure I could help you out (with the theory side of it since I've made a CBS before, with events), but otherwise, ask DerVVulfman what he thinks of compatibility with other scripts since he's the one working on MrMo's CBS.
Reply }
I am not expecting a system to have all this stuff as i said "I hope to add". some of these things I can do through events but I am generally asking for advice for easy ways to handle them regardless of ABS or vanilla. I should have worded it better. as for the battle system. I don't want it like a typical roguelike with you move they move. More like NWN. clicking an enemy to auto attack instead of having to hold down shift and chasing it every where. Is that something that can be tweaked in Mr Mo's?
Reply }
Hmm. Hopefully DerVV will pop in and resolve this for us then. :)
Reply }
For the transition of day to night if I remember correctly, it should just be a simple parallel event with a timer under the common event section. Have the screen darken and flip a switch to let the game know its night, and vice versa to switch back to day.
"Go wherever your heart takes you...but not that way."
Reply }
^ Yep that's pretty much it.
Reply }
Just going down the list. Laughing

* Thirst/Hunger/Sleep
- Funny, but I was thinking the same thing just an hour ago. Something needed or else your health and mental stamina begins to depreciate.
* Appearance based on Changing Gear
- There are Paperdoll systems out there for RPGMaker XP. For the field (aka the map), I recommend Visual Equipment by Me™. And for the default battlesystem screen, I made Brenda's Visual Battlers that was modeled after Me™'s system.
* Random Loot drops
- Hrm... Just random loot drops... Can't think of any right now though it is familiar sounding. Perhaps something by SephirothSpawn or Trickster. All of Trickster's scripts are available in here.
* Cursed or Enchanted Equipment that must be identified
- As in 'before use' ? Well, I don't know of any that identifies BEFORE you equip it. Both Multiple Slot scripts by Guillaume and myself uses a system that lets you equip items and changes it to the REAL item (you equip a sword, it changes it to a cursed sword on equipping). Nice to trick people. The same principle should be easy to code. Basically a RIP from the system. I could rip it by tonight.
* Companions
- Guess you mean party members, or you have been playing with my MrMo's system to use the term (or you're a Dr Who fan). Are you intending a one-on-one only battlesystem? Battlesystem specific is it's own query.
* Day/Night system
- Well... I made my own. Check out Mellie Mel's Calendar system. ^_^
* a point and click style combat system.
- Oh, you saw mine. I did add [shift] to the system, to be sure. But that's because you want to differentiate clicking to move the player from clicking to perform a ranged attack. Seriously, would you want to step into your own bullet?
- Addendum.... MrMo's treasure drop allows for random dropped loot.
- Addendum.... MrMo's Paperdoll system: Lets you have visual equipment in the ABS (perhaps an ABS first for RMXP?)
* Skill Tree system
- MicKo's Skill Tree. ^_^ I'm using it too, in conjunction with other stuff.

I see you're using MrMo's (just got to that part). You were going ABS or something else?
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
I like the sound of how you do cursed gear, and that is kind of how I want it to work. Originally I was just going to use variables switches. the player would find "Unidentified sword" and upon equip or by taking it to a mage and identifying it would randomly choose a curse or enchant from a list.

For the combat I was thinking more along the lines of how games like World of warcraft and Neverwinter nights work. clicking on an enemy will make you run up to it and start attacking automatically unless you are using ranged in which case as long as it is within range your character will aim and shoot. Magic would be done the same way.
Reply }
(03-21-2012, 01:52 AM)Argol228 Wrote: I like the sound of how you do cursed gear, and that is kind of how I want it to work. Originally I was just going to use variables switches. the player would find "Unidentified sword" and upon equip or by taking it to a mage and identifying it would randomly choose a curse or enchant from a list.
I started working on an 'Item Identification' script so you can find items or gear that are 'unidentified' and you can take 'em to a mage for identification. You 'can' equip and use them and they remain unknown until you have them identified... but would suck if they are cursed. You won't see any stats when you want to equip them (showing only ?'s in place of stats) until you finally equip it. Oh.... and yeah. Items (like potions) can be unidentified making it fun and risky to drink those unknown POISONS!!! MWAHAHAHA!!! So far, it works with my MultiSlots, but I haven't tested it fully. I'll work on Guillaume compatability later. Oh, and its up to the game designer if he/she wants unidentified items to be usable or not.

(03-21-2012, 01:52 AM)Argol228 Wrote: For the combat I was thinking more along the lines of how games like World of warcraft and Neverwinter nights work. clicking on an enemy will make you run up to it and start attacking automatically unless you are using ranged in which case as long as it is within range your character will aim and shoot. Magic would be done the same way.
You sound like my sister. Sarcasm Been trying that for weeks.....
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
hmm I was thinking, wouldn't it be possible to make a targeting system with eventing, say clicking on an enemy event will activate a move to and then activate an 'Attack' skill on touch and then that skill will loop with a delay until you activate another skill, move or the enemy dies?
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How encrypt my project? Raphael Rpg Games 6 11,950 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Narzew