Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 MiniMap DVV
MiniMap DVV
Version: 1.7

Introduction
This script is designed to draw a minimap on the field according to whatever location and scaled appearance the user sees fit. It can use both a self rendering (fill_rect) system and/or use cached graphics for the display.

Script
The Script
* Script is a text file saved with the .doc extension

Demo
The Demo

Instructions
The instructions are pretty much in the script. A good 200 lines worth. That's how I roll. :cheery:

Compatibility
An RGSS / RPGMaker XP system. And don't use with any other MiniMap system.

Terms and Conditions
Free for use, even in commercial games. This script was inspired by Chickendips, and had an issue which crashed on maps exceeding 200x200 tile maps discovered by JayRay. Due credit to myself and both JayRay and Chickendips is required.
Reply }
i tried this on a scriptless and default map game but it didn't work. i tried a bunch of the script commands and looked at the demo, i dont see what im not doing....?
Reply }
Code:
#  Switches for the Minimap System
#  ===============================
#  MM_SW_ID       (no in-game configurable)
#                 This is the RMXP default switch  that allows you to turn on
#                 or off the minimap.

You didn't turn the map 'on'. Just set up an event to turn your 'minimap switch' on, so it functions. You can turn it on and off to your liking so maps can be on in the outside, and off while indoors.
Reply }
Minor BUMP to version 1.1

Only a simple graphic edit to the cursor image and a change to a single line made it work with both 4-directional and 8-directional movement systems.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: QrnbKlx.jpg]
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]
Above are clickable links

Reply }
BUMP
to version 1.2

It's been a while since I visited the Mini-Map script even though I've had it within my ABS demos for a while. While it's worked and allowed for both graphic icons and/or generated bitmap graphics for the on-map events... I was not satisfied with the actual 'impassable' tilework drawn.

I mean, while it worked, some tiles that blocked the player were not visible on the map. Nearly the same issue I've seen other minimap system encountered with other passible/impassible tiles.

So I took a look at the system that determined if a tile was passible or impassible and realized... it didn't need that much code. BUT at the same time, I thought that the system that actively drew the impassible tiles in the minimap also needed work. With 4 sides that could be individually turned on/off, there are 16 basic combinations of drawn tiles (more if I wanted to be uber-looney about it). So I redid the draw_map method too.

Enjoy.
Up is down, left is right and sideways is straight ahead. - Cord "Circle of Iron", 1978 (written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn... really...)
[Image: sGz1ErF.png] [Image: liM4ikn.png] [Image: fdzKgZA.png] [Image: sj0H81z.png]
[Image: QL7oRau.png] [Image: uSqjY09.png] [Image: GAA3qE9.png] [Image: 2Hmnx1G.png] [Image: BwtNdKw.png%5B]

Reply }
Strangely enough, there are few minimap scripts that display more than the current screen. Which is the only purpose I can see a minimap having. Weird!
Reply }
BUMP
to version 1.3
Glitch fixin' time!

Meh, I wasn't satisfied with the way the MiniMap was handling the passable ground layer colors. Dang if I didn't see a problem. There were issues with how things were TOO blocky where impassable tiles came into play, so I made a system that drew PARTS of tile sections, giving a slightly smoother. Along with that, I found and eliminated a glitch where you wanted to draw a solid floor in the map, yet areas became transparent when an impassable tile drew (or erased) some sections.

Yes, the system now has these issues fixed.

Reply }
This is a great script, However I wonder if there is some way to make this script work with MGC's FPLE: First Person Labyrinth Explorer?

Also, how would one go about making it so that parts of the map are revealed as one explores, instead of having all of the map visible on the get-go? Since I'm making a first person labyrinth exploring game, each tile the player's stepped on and its surrounding walls, etc., would be added/rendered onto the minimap, and the minimap would continue to be filled in this manner as the player progresses through the dungeons.
“I have no opinion. No, none at all. Opinion is politics, and politics is an evil which has caused many a fellow to be hung while he's still young and pretty.”
Reply }
I tshould work anyway, by simply stating that tiles on tileset (the editor one) are passable or impassable, regardless of system. I can run through and check some tests myself. Another thing you MIGHT do, since most FPLE maps aren't big, is consider events that erase themselves when you touch them, and ensure that you change the icon for an event to a black box, simulating the fog of war aspect.

What I did with the maps in the past was with waypoint events, that, if a key was pressed would bring up the fog-puzzle pictures of a map, with the complete map behind it after the other pictures showed, and then remove pictures if certain switches were on, revealing the part of the map the player had explored, as well as Depending on player x,y, I had a X marks the 'You are here' by multiplying the X and Y by 8 (1/4 of a tile) which would change depending on where player actually was in the mapped floor.

The picture was never too much memory, and worked for me better than a Minimap... Reminded me of that old dungeon crawl game.
[Image: yy7iKKb.png]

ITCH: jayray.itch.io
Currently working on Goblin Gulch (MV)
Currently working on JayVinci Resurrection
Currently working on Bakin ABS (BAKIN)
Reply }
BUMP
to version 1.4
Glitch fixin' time!

It has been a while since anything needed to be repaired with MiniMap DVV. That being said, it's pretty solid. Still, something came up.

JayRay noticed that he had issues dealing with maps that neared the 500X500 map tile limit in his project. This issue is much the same as any mode7 system that too tried to max out tie map size.... causing a game crash. So once I heard that there was an issue with large maps in his project, I went to find the problem. It turned out to be MiniMap DVV.

Of course, knowing what the issue was, it became a fairly quick fix.

Took me longer to upload the demo than it did to fix it. Laughing + Tongue sticking out

So now JayRay has been added to my 'credits' and terms line. Due credit now goes to him for finding the bug.

Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Isometric Maps: MiniMap DVV Patch DerVVulfman 0 4,754 06-26-2014, 03:27 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman