Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Event Problem
RPG Maker XP: Basically, I've been trying for two whole days to get this to work. I've been trying to make it so that when I talk to a NPC on one map, it makes an NPC on another map move a couple places. I've accomplished this, however. The event that i want to move is Event Number 11 : EV011, the problem is on another map, there is another EV011, I even renamed them and stuff and its still using both. And it's really frusturating and I have no idea how to set this up. Exactly what I want to do is after talking to one guy, I want the other NPC to move one space down and then turn left. Thats it! But it's confusing me and I need help.
Reply }
The problem is that you can't control events on maps other than the current one. If you were able to do that directly, it would slow down the system a lot because it would have to load all of the maps at once.

The best way to go about this is use a switch, and then on the fadein to the second map (where the NPC that you want to move is located), check if the switch is on. If it's on, then either use Set Event Location or use a move route before fading back in. I can explain further if you want but that's the basic explanation. :3
Reply }
Ah, well thing is, I'm pretty noob at RPG maker Lol. Um, should I be using common events for this and linking the 2 with switches? I don't really understand but basically i have something like this:

NPC I talk to to make him move:
1st Page:
Text
Control Self Switch = A ON
2nd Page:
Control Switches: 0013: moving 2 = ON
3rd Page:
Blank
----------------------------------------------
NPC I want to move:
Text
----------------------------------------------
Common Event: Parallel, Conditional Switch = 0013:moving 2
Conditional Branch= switch 0013:moving2 = ON
Set Move Route: EV011
- Move Down
-Turn Left
Control Switches = switch0013:moving2 = OFF
Else

Branch End
Reply }
Are you using XP? I can whip up a quick demo for you if you are. If not, I can probably explain it.
EDIT: I noticed you already said you were using XP, give me 10 minutes and I'll get a short demo for you.
Reply }
Nope, no common events are necessary. Example (excluding extra event pages for talking or whatever):

Map001
NPC1
Control [Switch 0013: Moving] = ON

Transfer Map001 > Map002
Change Screen Color Tone: (0,0,0,255)
Transfer Player: Map002
Conditional Branch: [Switch 0013: Moving] is ON
---Set Event Location: NPC2 (coordinates of where s/he would end up)
End
Change Screen Color Tone: (Default)

Basically what you need to do isn't what you're thinking you need to do. You simply can't make a character move on a map other than the one you're on. What you need to do is change the position of the second NPC to make it appear that s/he had moved.

I feel like I'm failing at explaining this correctly. Confused Uhm... I hope you understood what I was trying to say. If not, I can take screenshots. Winking

(And don't worry about being new. Everyone is new at some point. :3)

EDIT: Looks like Alpha is making a quick demo which should clear things up.
Reply }
Alpha-Mad Wrote:Are you using XP? I can whip up a quick demo for you if you are. If not, I can probably explain it.

I am using XP that would be great if you could

Nope, no common events are necessary. Example (excluding extra event pages for talking or whatever):

Map001
NPC1
Control [Switch 0013: Moving] = ON

Transfer Map001 > Map002
Change Screen Color Tone: (0,0,0,255)
Transfer Player: Map002
Conditional Branch: [Switch 0013: Moving] is ON
---Set Event Location: NPC2 (coordinates of where s/he would end up)
End
Change Screen Color Tone: (Default)

Basically what you need to do isn't what you're thinking you need to do. You simply can't make a character move on a map other than the one you're on. What you need to do is change the position of the second NPC to make it appear that s/he had moved.

I feel like I'm failing at explaining this correctly. Confused Uhm... I hope you understood what I was trying to say. If not, I can take screenshots. Wink

(And don't worry about being new. Everyone is new at some point. :3)

I think I understand also so im not really making him move, rather im just giving that effect so I should transfer the player from the 1st npc to the 2nd by changing screen color, transfer, conditional branch , change location of the npc i want moved, and then screen color back, where would I place my char afterwards, kind of like where the changing npc is?
Reply }
There ya go. Test play this first, then go back and look at the comments i put inside each event. This should help.
http://rapidshare.com/files/303003038/Project1.exe.html
Reply }
On your demo, the character that moved duplicated himself! Guardian could you post screenshots?
Reply }
Well, in my example the transfer event would have been used like any door/transfer event would have been used (not autorun or anything like that).

And Alpha's demo worked fine for me, although it's a slightly different method from what I proposed (and his is an easier one). I'm not really sure why you're getting that kind of duplication error. 0_o
Reply }
my fault for the duplication XD. Um, i copied what is on there from the demo in the exact order and if i talk to the NPC i want moved first, he will completely get rid of the NPC I want to talk to, to make the other one move.
Reply }

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
   Event Touch Syddo 4 2,720 02-09-2022, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Syddo
   Making an item usable on event swickster 4 6,011 05-19-2019, 11:30 PM
Last Post: swickster
   Need help better understanding of Battle Event Geminil 2 5,356 07-11-2018, 03:09 AM
Last Post: DerVVulfman
  Occasional RMXP Input Problem Kain Nobel 2 7,635 12-30-2013, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Kain Nobel
  RMX-OS 1.18 connection problem. Narzew 1 5,168 10-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Narzew
  Event Freezing KasperKalamity 6 9,893 10-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Last Post: KasperKalamity
  how to make an event touch another event mangamaniacs2064 2 5,810 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Last Post: RosyPosy
  Weird Timer Problem Ace 5 8,853 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Kain Nobel
  Can't stop my event from repeating itself! Jelme 8 8,928 03-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Last Post: fgsfds
  A sign problem jubhub731 3 5,827 12-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Last Post: computerwizoo7